1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

another silly door mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
another silly door mirror question

Guys, sorry about this.
I have a set of original 54 side mirrors but this truck, being a custom, has had the rectangular hole welded and painted over and a tacky aftermarket mirror fitted, which has rusted out. I want to put the new originals back in there, and was wondering about the chrome extension piece which bolts to the two holes in the door. Does that chrome piece go inside the door (that is, is it concealed) or is it bolted to the outside of the door if you know what I mean?
I haven't drilled my holes yet and thought it best to ask as I have no template or former hole to work with.
Thanks fellas

Old 12-04-2014, 06:11 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an FYI the mirror shown is not original for the '54 truck.

To answer your question though the part you're pointing to is not seen when you open the door. All you can see is the bolt heads on the forward inside edge of the door.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:55 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
If you open your door on the front face (door jam side?) you should see the holes for bolting that mirror in. You would need to open the slot to fit the arm through the door skin.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys.
Hmmm. Didn't realise they weren't off the 54.
I've got two holes in the side of the door, assuming they will line up with this chrome tongue piece.
Are they off a later model?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:12 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter Bird
Thanks guys.
Hmmm. Didn't realise they weren't off the 54.
I've got two holes in the side of the door, assuming they will line up with this chrome tongue piece.
Are they off a later model?
These chrome mirrors fit our 53-56 trucks but they did not come out on trucks until 1957, which had the same slot in the door and 2 bolts in the door. The repop catalog stores sell these as "original" but they are out to make money.

Here are what came on 53-56 trucks F-100 up to F800 if they were ordered or bought at the dealer.
My truck:

A Ford promo pic:

An NOS one I found But did not buy, on ebay:

Old 12-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gosh, I wonder why they would promote the chrome ones? Maybe because there is no way the originals would be on my truck.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter, those chrome round mirrors look great but they are virtually unusable. I can set mine to see my mudguard outer for parking, or higher for better rear vision, but not both. There have been several discussions here about them and as I recall, the general feeling is as I have said, look good but a pain to use. I am looking for something off a late model car, bigger but good vision and I can hopefully adapt to the mounting arm, or fit it over it somehow.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no problem seeing with my mirrors like the ones shown by Peter Bird. There are some replacement mirror heads that function like the passenger mirrors on modern cars such as Hagans Fatties. I have those on my 40 coupe and they are an immense improvement, but take some getting used to on the drivers side.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:29 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I spent almost a year to find a set of NOS stock mirrors

I think the are really cool and they are knid of "custom" to our trucks as everyone else is using the small chrome ones.

DinnerHill SpeedShop: 2:nd NOS Mirror, complete assembly

Old 12-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I love that truck abe

Old 12-05-2014, 03:20 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Jafo56
I love that truck abe
You ought to Jafo, it spent it first 25 years in Lancaster County on my Grandepa's farm between Lititz and Manheim.

Thanks for the props!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:32 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use the small chrome mirrors and agree that they are useless with the standard mirror, esp. on a panel.

I found some round 4" convex stick on mirrors at a RV place and put them on both mirrors (driver and passenger). They make the mirrors at least usable, not perfect but better. Just remember that with a convex mirror "objects are closer than they appear".

Since buying them at the RV place I've seen them at several auto parts stores and in the RV section at Wally World.

I also installed a rearview camera on the passenger side since the visibility on the panel is awful. I rigged it on a toggle switch instead of reverse on the shifter, that way I can flip it on anytime. Very helpful for lane changes.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys. I remember hearing something about them not proving much vision. I might do as you say and look for something that works, though, I have to say they look damned nice. Maybe peep mirrors? Thanks for all the excellent replies.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:51 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Aus56
Peter, those chrome round mirrors look great but they are virtually unusable. I can set mine to see my mudguard outer for parking, or higher for better rear vision, but not both. There have been several discussions here about them and as I recall, the general feeling is as I have said, look good but a pain to use. I am looking for something off a late model car, bigger but good vision and I can hopefully adapt to the mounting arm, or fit it over it somehow.
Ta Nev. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:57 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
I spent almost a year to find a set of NOS stock mirrors

I think the are really cool and they are knid of "custom" to our trucks as everyone else is using the small chrome ones.

DinnerHill SpeedShop: 2:nd NOS Mirror, complete assembly
I agree. There are so many trucks with these smaller mirrors that I thought they must have been factory!
Learn something new every day at FTE

Quick Reply: another silly door mirror question