Sponsored by:

HID kits - So many to choose from

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:48 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
HID kits - So many to choose from

After reading through several threads about HID's, I am convinced I need them. My stock lights on my 2003 just don't light up the road like my wifes newer model SUV. I know next to nothing about which companies are great and which ones to stay away from. I have seen prices for kits on Amazon as low as $39 free shipping with prime all the way up to several hundred dollars. For our trucks, what is the best company out there, and is there anything to know in advance about installing to make sure I don't fry the alternator or batteries?

THANKS!

Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exbxtoy
After reading through several threads about HID's, I am convinced I need them. My stock lights on my 2003 just don't light up the road like my wifes newer model SUV. I know next to nothing about which companies are great and which ones to stay away from. I have seen prices for kits on Amazon as low as $39 free shipping with prime all the way up to several hundred dollars. For our trucks, what is the best company out there, and is there anything to know in advance about installing to make sure I don't fry the alternator or batteries?

THANKS!
I posted a thread in the last month about Bright Source LEDs. They are amazingly bright and the easiest install. Plug and play.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Working on installing mine right now. I'm using a hodgepodge of (new) parts I've collected over the years. Having issues, but I'll post up my work in a bit

Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Working on installing mine right now. I'm using a hodgepodge of (new) parts I've collected over the years. Having issues, but I'll post up my work in a bit
Sweet, love to see how yours come out. I just think it is crazy to see prices of kits vary so much.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son ordered a set from DDM two years ago lifetime warranty for his truck and a set for his girlfriends car for $50 a set. No complaints, he got the 6000 which has a blue tint,I think I would rather have the 5000 bright white. But I'm going to check out the Bright Source LEDs that JIMB_FID mentioned first. I like the idea of plug and play

Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 PM
matt1751
Senior User
I've been using the 35w 5000K kits from DDM tuning for several years with the HD wiring harness so it pulls main power from the battery. I am also a dealer for Lifetime LED so next round I will be putting LED headlights in but till the HID's fail there staying.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Old 12-05-2014, 01:58 AM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I am a VERY happy DDM tuning customer, but even I would go LED at this point...there is just no reason to do HID anymore. When the OEM go away from a technology, we modders should already be gone from it! HID's are too volatile and hot these days...I'm preparing my transition to LED as we speak!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I have a RetroSolutions 55w HID kit sitting in my garage, never been installed, because I haven't sourced a projector housing for them. Now LED are an option.

Sigh.....

For all you guys doing HID's, what projector housing did you go with?

Stewart

Old 12-05-2014, 06:48 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Maybe I should change the title of this post too, "led upgrade kits, best choices?" I took a look at the bright source website and they don't have an LED offering yet their bulbs are all high intensity discharge.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Rscottc
Senior User
Originally Posted by JIMBO_FID
I posted a thread in the last month about Bright Source LEDs. They are amazingly bright and the easiest install. Plug and play.
Looked up that thread, those are not LEDs, your thread was on Bright Source HID kit you installed.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:59 PM
kennisonxgs
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I have a RetroSolutions 55w HID kit sitting in my garage, never been installed, because I haven't sourced a projector housing for them. Now LED are an option.

Sigh.....
That just shows how mindful you are of other drivers. I shelved mine after seeing how bad it was in the stock housing.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
For all you guys doing HID's, what projector housing did you go with?

Stewart
Probably "none."

Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
I'm running my HIDs through the factory housings and I'm very happy with them and here is why:

The 2005-2007 factory housings have a cap at the end of the bulb (although I already use capped bulbs). The stock housings are designed to project the light in a certain way on to the road. Replacing the bulb really doesn't affect it all that much -the difference is the color temperature and intensity of the bulb. You don't magically have a cut off like you would with projectors because.. you're still reflecting, not projecting. Now the next thing someone will say is that because of where the light originates from (the filament on a halogen bulb) is in a different place that it screws everything up. For me that wasn't the case - the HIDs put out an almost identical light pattern to the halogens I had in there minus the fact that it's a whiter and more intense light.

I had tried the best Philips bulbs, silverstars and even hacked some HIRs into my lights - nothing gives me the bright white (5000k) I'm looking for.

In a vehicle without a built in cap or without using capped HIDs you're in for a different story since the actual bulb is exposed to the eye and oncoming traffic.

Cue Candlepower.com/hidplanet.com haters.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what do you use from that site for an 03' Excursion with stock lights?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:27 PM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rscottc
Looked up that thread, those are not LEDs, your thread was on Bright Source HID kit you installed.
Sorry for the miss-type, I did mean HID. I just finished doing LED reverse lights so most likely that is what was on my mind when I talked about my headlights.

Quick Reply: HID kits - So many to choose from