Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:59 PM
jwronski
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner Questions

Hello everyone,

I have posted this also in the computer and tuner forum but I know that some of you use the SCT so I am looking for some advice.

Newbe with some tuner questions. I have the opportunity to pick up a SCT 3015 tuner that was used on a 2013 F-150, 5.0. I understand that they come with 3 preloaded tunes but my questions is, if I buy this for use in my Excursion, will it work right away,or do I have to do something ( order different tunes for use in my 6.8). And if I need to order tunes approx how much am I looking at spending? Would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a new tuner specifically for the 6.8?

Another question, can these be used for multiple vehicles? I have a 08 mustang GT, and can I store tunes for both vehicles in the device so when I am towing the camper on family time I use the tuner but when I am tooling around in the car, can I unmate it from the Ex and use it in the Mustang?

I have tried to do some research on this but almost everything is just talking about hooking it up to one vehicle.

Thanks for any input and insight.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will need 6.8L specific tunes. You can only have 1 car/truck per tuner.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
What he said.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:49 PM
MorePowerTuning
Former Vendor
According to SCT's website, the 3015 comes preloaded from there with tunes for a 2000 Excursion 6.8L. A custom tune from MPT would run you $70.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
From Sct web site, notice the last paragraph ;Can I program more than 1 vehicle with an SCT automotive handheld programmer?
No. Each SCT device locks to the vehicle the tune is installed on, however, if you return the vehicle to the stock / original factory tune using the SCT device, your SCT device can then be used on a different vehicle.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:18 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can`t use the tuner with preloaded 6.8L tunes on a 5.4L. and the PCM code would need to match! so 6.8L tunes on one truck may not work on another 6.8L.

The tuner from 5 star comes with custom tunes. they are custom tailored to the V-10, V-8 or whatever you have. you can even have them tailor each individual tune for your own specific needs.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 AM
DarrinBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Curt's05
From Sct web site, notice the last paragraph ;Can I program more than 1 vehicle with an SCT automotive handheld programmer?
No. Each SCT device locks to the vehicle the tune is installed on, however, if you return the vehicle to the stock / original factory tune using the SCT device, your SCT device can then be used on a different vehicle.
You can only return a vehicle to stock and use it on another vehicle 5 times. Then the tuner will have to be sent in to be reset. They did this as a security measure to keep people from using one tuner on as many vehicles as they want. There are ways to pull that tune while the vehicle is tuned and then re-insert it after the vehicle is returned to stock.

So if you are purchasing a used tuner it's a good idea to have them plug it in and show you how many changes are left.

D

Old 12-05-2014, 12:04 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrinBC
So if you are purchasing a used tuner it's a good idea to have them plug it in and show you how many changes are left.
^^^What he said^^^

Old 12-05-2014, 03:37 PM
jwronski
Senior User
Thanks for all the helpful info everyone. I have learned quite a bit over the last couple of days. I was hesitant to call 5 Star because I wasn't buying it from them, and I did not know how well they would want to explain everything to me without a purchase. Well MorePowerTuning, another sponsor, responded to my thread so I gave them a call. They explained that because the 3015 comes with preset tunes for several vehicles, I did not have to worry about specific PCM strategy. The preset tunes would be able to read the strategy for my vehicle when it is plugged in and should work because the 6.8 comes preloaded on the 3015. Now if the tuner had custom tunes installed, my vehicle may or may not be able to use it because of the PCM Strategy. They also told me how to plug it in and check for the tuner to be "unmarried" and how many unlocks it has left. Based on this info, I am hopefully picking it up tomorrow and look forward to the improved drivability, especially when towing the house behind!

Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
John, Don't be afraid to ask 5 star any questions you might have. I would think they would answer any questions you have, because you could be a future customer or refer someone to them. There is no such thing as a dumb question when on a quest for information!

Last edited by Curt's05; 12-06-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: qwest!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Personally I would just buy a new one. When I was looking for mine 2 years ago I was on eBay looking for used ones, CL, and other Ford forums trying to pick up one. Basically anything 5star can reprogram to work on your truck but once you do all that leg work and send it to them you save what, $20? They are AMAZING to deal with, and super nice. It's worth the peace of mind knowing it's your tuner and not some half used up 3 year old tuner. Call them, have them give you EXACTLY what you want, and be confident in what you purchased

Old 12-06-2014, 12:18 PM
DarrinBC
Senior User
I agree with the above 2 posts.

Someone that wants to provide a great customer experience and cares about their customer base isn't going to have a problem with questions. Within reason of course. This is well within reason.

Buying used is risky and you often don't really save that much in the end. Sometimes with unreasonable trade-offs.

Make sure you do all your research and ask every question before you leap.

D

Old 12-06-2014, 12:47 PM
jwronski
Senior User
Thanks for the help. Here are my thoughts on the used tuner. I am picking it up for about 200(haven't haggled yet.) The new ones are about 400. Yes I know they come with 3-5 free custom tunes. I am really interested in the towing tune so even if I purchase a tune later for about 80, I think I am still about 100 ahead. This tuner has supposedly only been mated to one vehicle so I should have several unlocks left( I will be checking that out) The other good thing is the individual is local, about 20 minutes away, so I can go check it out and make sure it is as advertised.

We will see. Hopefully everything works out. If not, I will promise to post that should have listened and bought the new one

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-06-2014, 07:32 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Go with what you are most comfortable with, just be aware that the SCT preloaded "canned" tunes are not as beneficial as good custom tunes. A good "Tune writer" (like Mike at 5 Star, sorry I have no info on MPT, first I've heard of them) can really dial a tune in for your specific goals. This would include any mods like CAI, heads, Y pipe, deeper gears or non-stock tire size as well as the size and weight of the trailer being towed. Equally important is your driving style, if you drive the EX like that that Quint in your avatar pic you might want different settings than a sane person would. I found that with my laid back, eye on MPGs towing style that the Performance tunes work very well for me, the Tow tunes wanted to downshift way too soon for me, they seem to be setup for far more aggressive hill climbing than how I tow.
Just something more to consider.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jwronski
Hello everyone,

I have posted this also in the computer and tuner forum but I know that some of you use the SCT so I am looking for some advice.

Newbe with some tuner questions. I have the opportunity to pick up a SCT 3015 tuner that was used on a 2013 F-150, 5.0. I understand that they come with 3 preloaded tunes but my questions is, if I buy this for use in my Excursion, will it work right away,or do I have to do something ( order different tunes for use in my 6.8). And if I need to order tunes approx how much am I looking at spending? Would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a new tuner specifically for the 6.8?

Another question, can these be used for multiple vehicles? I have a 08 mustang GT, and can I store tunes for both vehicles in the device so when I am towing the camper on family time I use the tuner but when I am tooling around in the car, can I unmate it from the Ex and use it in the Mustang?

I have tried to do some research on this but almost everything is just talking about hooking it up to one vehicle.

Thanks for any input and insight.
jwronski,

As long as the tuner is unmarried it will work great for either of your vehicles. The canned tunes are a good starting point but custom is always better because it allows us to tune for your driving style, fuel, mods, etc. You can use the tuner on both vehicles BUT only one can be tuned at the same time. We'd be happy to write you a custom tune if you feel that custom if right for you. We can do either vehicle for $65. You have the option of 1-10 tunes on that device at the same time. The number of tunes is up to you based on your usage. Let me know if we can make some recommendations for you.

Quick Reply: Tuner Questions