Sponsored by:

BFG A/T's

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:26 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
BFG A/T's

Is it me or do these tires suck? They're 285/75R16.

I got my Excursion a little dirty in the mud and snow this weekend and the tires just seemed to have very little traction. In fact, I went around a corner on a snow-covered road at what I thought was a safe speed but ended up in the ditch anyway. I grew up in Buffalo and I'm no stranger to driving in the white stuff and this was the first time I've ever really lost control of a vehicle. I know it's quite a bit heavier than anything I've ever really driven, but it just seemed to act like a goat on a frozen pond.

They also vibrate quite a bit above 65 or 70 but it comes and goes. When I bought it they had the wheels balanced so I know there must have been an issue there.

They also don't clean themselves worth a crap. All the mud just cakes up and gets stuck in the tread.

But these tires are SO popular. You see them on everything. Am I the only one to have any complaints about these tires?

Old 12-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before getting my new tires, I researched and found that the heavier trucks, like our Excursions, don't do so well with the BF AT's.

I ended up with Nitto Tara Grapplers. They are OK, no real complaints. If I were to do it again, I'd go with Coopers AT's.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had them prior to my Generals. same size (285 75 16) never had one complaint about them. they worked great in the snow! never was in mud, but they were excellent in the sand!

I may go with them again at the next tire replacement!

Old 12-01-2014, 05:02 PM
matt1751
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same size on my Ex and no issues. I've been running these tires for over 20 years on full sized pickups plus the EX with no problems. They are not for mudding but I found them to be a good all around tire and work well in the snow. Even ran them on my Jeep that I used for offloading.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:01 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
BF AT are to excursions are like thornbirds to off road rigs.

Junk IMO. They could use some more sipping to be better on the slippery stuff, and almost every AT tire will plug up with mud without spinning really fast.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 PM
phnguyk
Senior User
I've run bfg ats on jeeps, sucked. F250's, sucked. But only after switching to better tires did I realize just how ****ty they were. Running generals now on my EX and Irok radials on my jeep, Both awesome tires compared to the BFG's. To me BFG's have a following like chevy vs ford vs dodge. In my experiences BFGs were never great. I even ran KM2 for a bit on my jeep (absolutely Horrible), the dam aggressive Iroks are quieter going down the road. My 2 cents.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:20 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
They also suck on explorers

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had them on my 95 Explorer and they performed great! I got near 70k miles out of them.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
I had set of BFG AT one time, like to shook every bolt on my truck loose. These guys around my parts worship the BFGs AT until a couple of years ago. Now it's Nitto terra grapplers. I'm opting for a set of Nitto Dura Grapplers, highway and beach sand use. We don't get much snow around here so can't tell you how the Nittos do but for everything else I think they do great.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
Before getting my new tires, I researched and found that the heavier trucks, like our Excursions, don't do so well with the BF AT's.

I ended up with Nitto Tara Grapplers. They are OK, no real complaints. If I were to do it again, I'd go with Coopers AT's.
I second the Coopers, I daily an '84 Diesel Suburban 4x4 (25k+ miles/yr). I researched before buying my last set of tires and settled on the Cooper Discoverer AT3's. Couldn't find them local and ended up getting a really good deal on thhe BFG AT's right before a trip to Topeka, KS (700 miles 1 way).

A big ice storm had just hit Dallas, so I needed new tires before I left. Needless to say, when I got to Topeka, I bought the Coopers. The tire dealer was kind enough to offer to "dispose" of my "old" tires. I hauled them back home and sold them cheap. Honestly my bald tires would have done as well in the snow and ice. I know they did better in the wet.

The coopers are great in all weather on a heavy truck. I think they are down about 2/32nds from new now. Couldn't be happier. Just wish I hadn't wasted money on the BFG's.

That said, the BFG's are great in the sand, the road when dry, and mud if you keep them spinning FAST!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
I finally put a set of snow tires on the second set of rims I had scored a while ago. Mastercraft 285 75 r 16. Drove in the snow last weds from Ithaca to NYC. They performed great. I had a set of BFG AT when I first got the beast and was not that thrilled with them in the snow. They were loud also. Next spring gonna shop for a set of road tires and run two sets from on for winter and regular driving. the only off road I do is on the beach in the Outer banks couple times a year.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Well I'm glad we settled that argument! lol

Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Wow...all these bad reviews on BFG AT's. Guess I'm the only one that's had good look with them.

I run BFG AT's on BOTH my Excursions and neither have let me down. As long as they're properly inflated and rotated as I've kept mine, I never had a problem.

Traction has always been good on pavement and on the slick stuff. Even my open diff '01 Excursion did better than with the Michelin's I had on it before.

The BFG AT2 may be the answer to most of the complaints you all have regarding BFG AT.

All-Terrain T/A KO2 | BFGoodrich Tires

Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
I have BF AT on my jeep and i love them. But a jeep is a 1/4 of our weight so not sure how well on our ex they will do

Old 12-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Wow...all these bad reviews on BFG AT's. Guess I'm the only one that's had good look with them. I run BFG AT's on BOTH my Excursions and neither have let me down. As long as they're properly inflated and rotated as I've kept mine, I never had a problem. Traction has always been good on pavement and on the slick stuff. Even my open diff '01 Excursion did better than with the Michelin's I had on it before. The BFG AT2 may be the answer to most of the complaints you all have regarding BFG AT. All-Terrain T/A KO2 | BFGoodrich Tires
We can put them to a test and see just how well they perform. I don't mind pulling recovery vehicle duty. Only time I've been stuck with the current mud cleats is when you had to come with your buddy to pull me out at 0200, but I'm blaming that on the ground giving way under the weight of the rig and not the tires. The damn dingleberry on the trans got bent over because of that. L

Quick Reply: BFG A/T's