2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Drop fuel tank in 2007 expedition

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 AM
deeaamon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop fuel tank in 2007 expedition

Hi All,

I am not much of a mechanic so I am having a small issue. I am trying to drop the fuel tank in my 07 ford expedition and have ran into a snag. In the front of the tank is a small back circle that is attached to a plastic piece and I have no idea what it is for or how to remove it. Its coming out of the Gas tank and has a white bumper gaurd (i the best way I can explain it) what is it and how do I remove it. If I drop the tank without removing it I'm sure it'll break and its probably something important. I'll see if I cant get a picture of it. I'm dropping the tank so I can replace the fuel pump.

Thanks for any help or advice. Thanks

Darrell

Old 11-30-2014, 10:51 AM
deeaamon
New User
here are the images

looking dead on

looking from underneath bottom of part of the picture is the gas tank

I hope this helps

darrell

Old 11-30-2014, 10:52 AM
deeaamon
New User
Sorry those picture were way to big

Old 11-30-2014, 11:37 AM
gwcloud
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Darrell,
I have a factory service manual for the 2007 Expedition/Navigator. The manual shows a fuel filter on the forward end of the tank. It has 3 hoses hooked to it. Is that what you are looking at?
I can't recognize what your pictures are showing. There are several hoses that are for the evaporator/vent system.

I replaced a fuel pump in my '96 Ford van a few years ago and it's evap hoses/valves were different. It's evap valve rotated 1/4 turn to remove.

I can scan the gas tank section for you if you want. We will have to figure out how to send it to you.
Good luck, be careful not to break stuff,
Richard

Old 12-01-2014, 01:54 PM
deeaamon
New User
Thanks gwcloud,

I found out that it was just a bracket that held the tank to the heat shroud. Simple enough, the whole shroud comes down with the tank. We got the expedition fixed and now it runs great.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM
coop137
New User
how do I drop the fuel tank on 2007 ford expedition

Old 10-04-2015, 11:35 PM
quarlow
New User
I just did the fuel pump just over a week ago. Here is what I did (this is on an EL, regular is slightly different):

1. I put the truck on ramps, both left tires. This was tricky, had to put it in 4L to get it up the ramp without pushing the front ramp and not climbing it. This gave me all the clearance I needed to get under.

2. Remove skid plate from under tank. This bolts to the retaining straps. This is made of fiberglass, don't rub t anymore than you need to. I was itchy all day.

3. Remove clamp on filler tube, and remove tube. Two other hoses connect at that end of the tank, both quick release, press hose towards tank, push button, pull back.

4. Disconnect two evap lines by front of tank. One has a 90 degree elbow on top of a black box, very little clearance. Both quick connect, push in, push button, pull back.

5. Disconnect single fuel line on fuel filter. The filter will come out with the tank, don't need to disconnect all three lines yet. This needed a fuel line disconnect tool, size E IIRC.

6. Place a jack with a support wood piece under the tank, not in the middle where the pump is, you will see the swirl around the pump.

7. Unbolt the support straps (EL has 3, regular has 2). Lower the front end slowly with jack til you have 6 inches of space. There are two connectors. One on the pump, press in tab slide out. The other on a evap sensor. This one is tricky. The tab isn't at the end of the connector. Have to push down on tab as lever to unhook connector. We broke this one taking it off, zip ties don't appear to work to keep it tight. Now getting DTC for eval system low. I get to drop the tank again and splice in a new connector.

8. This might be EL only - unbolt left side of sway bar to give enough space to get the tank around the body.

9. Tank should come down and forwards and be released.

If you are going for the pump I would recommend placing the tank on its side (without the extra guard) to hit the retaining ring. We could not get the ring to move laying it flat. Tried for hours to get the right tool, but was special order at all 4 stores we tried. The universal rental was too small and the notches aren't across from each other, they form a star. With the tank on its side I could get enough leverage to move the ring.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 AM
rexpedition99
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by quarlow
I just did the fuel pump just over a week ago. Here is what I did (this is on an EL, regular is slightly different):

1. I put the truck on ramps, both left tires. This was tricky, had to put it in 4L to get it up the ramp without pushing the front ramp and not climbing it. This gave me all the clearance I needed to get under.

2. Remove skid plate from under tank. This bolts to the retaining straps. This is made of fiberglass, don't rub t anymore than you need to. I was itchy all day.

3. Remove clamp on filler tube, and remove tube. Two other hoses connect at that end of the tank, both quick release, press hose towards tank, push button, pull back.

4. Disconnect two evap lines by front of tank. One has a 90 degree elbow on top of a black box, very little clearance. Both quick connect, push in, push button, pull back.

5. Disconnect single fuel line on fuel filter. The filter will come out with the tank, don't need to disconnect all three lines yet. This needed a fuel line disconnect tool, size E IIRC.

6. Place a jack with a support wood piece under the tank, not in the middle where the pump is, you will see the swirl around the pump.

7. Unbolt the support straps (EL has 3, regular has 2). Lower the front end slowly with jack til you have 6 inches of space. There are two connectors. One on the pump, press in tab slide out. The other on a evap sensor. This one is tricky. The tab isn't at the end of the connector. Have to push down on tab as lever to unhook connector. We broke this one taking it off, zip ties don't appear to work to keep it tight. Now getting DTC for eval system low. I get to drop the tank again and splice in a new connector.

8. This might be EL only - unbolt left side of sway bar to give enough space to get the tank around the body.

9. Tank should come down and forwards and be released.

If you are going for the pump I would recommend placing the tank on its side (without the extra guard) to hit the retaining ring. We could not get the ring to move laying it flat. Tried for hours to get the right tool, but was special order at all 4 stores we tried. The universal rental was too small and the notches aren't across from each other, they form a star. With the tank on its side I could get enough leverage to move the ring.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the instructions, I modified the instructions slightly in the linked post, but you definitely gave me the confidence that this could be done pretty easily in my driveway. In the linked post I quoted you and commented on each step. My vehicle was an 07 non-EL, so that may be why my steps were slightly different.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post18273969