Modular V10 (6.8l)  

2V V10: Y-pipe goes on tomorrow, which muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:14 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2V V10: Y-pipe goes on tomorrow, which muffler?

[sorry in advance for a somewhat wordy post]

My 2003 crew-cab long-bed gets a new Y-pipe tomorrow morning. The rest of the exhaust system is stock (including the cats, which will stay put). My stock muffler is starting to rust, so I figured I'd throw a new one on there while they're at it.

I'm setup to have a Flowmaster 70-series muffler installed in place of the stock unit. But I've also read about guys who have 2V V10's with the Y-pipe that have run Flowmaster 70, and have reported lots of drone.

My truck CANNOT drone! I tow/haul very regularly up mountain passes well in excess of 3000rpm, closer to 4000rpm. If this thing drones, I will be very disappointed.

I chose Flowmaster because it does NOT have the packing that the Magnaflow's do -- which I've read will break down over time, changing the exhaust for the worse, and causing drone. The 70 series is the biggest muffler Flowmaster makes, so I figured this must be the quietest muffler of my choices...right?

So, now I'm thinking I'll have them leave the stock muffler on there for the time being until I make a decision on which muffler to go with?

If there are other 2V V10 owners here who have *only* the Y-pipe mod (no headers), I'd appreciate any input on muffler. Flowmaster? Magnaflow? Dynomax? Ford OEM?

Again, I'd like it as quiet as possible. A deep subdued rumble is ok but it CANNOT drone.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:13 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
My y pipe and mbrp cat back drones some, and can be quite loud. Some members mentioned aeroturbine mufflers so you may want to check those out. But I would just install the y pipe like you mentioned and go from there.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would say your best bet is the stock muffler. the flowmasters will drone, even the 70 series have a low hum in the cab when at high rpm's. at cruising they are nice no drone, but under load, they drone.

i had a flowmaster original 40 series on my 2000 V10, crew cab. it sounded awesome at idle and cruising, but under load, it was WAY TO LOUD. i've installed 50's, super 44's, and 70's on V10's. they have a great low end sound, but under load you will get drone.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:58 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Based on your feedback as well as the exhaust shop's recommendation, I'm going to try the Magnaflow instead of the Flowmaster. But I'm keeping my stock muffler, in the event that all else fails.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good idea to keep the old one for sure! magnaflow might have a lower deeper tone than the flowmaster. you can get a "rough" idea if there's one on youtube, but it's still not like it being right there beside it.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM
truckfella
Elder User
One of the reasons I'm going with magnaflow is for their lifetime warranty. Shop owner said it's very likely the packing will loosen over time. If/When it does, bring it back for a new one.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Dynomax Exhaust
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next time. Good call keeping the stock too.
DynoMax® VT® Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

Limited Lifetime Warranty
And 90 day sound/performance guarantee, if you aren't happy return it for a refund.

Warranty / Guarantee

Originally Posted by truckfella
[sorry in advance for a somewhat wordy post]

My 2003 crew-cab long-bed gets a new Y-pipe tomorrow morning. The rest of the exhaust system is stock (including the cats, which will stay put). My stock muffler is starting to rust, so I figured I'd throw a new one on there while they're at it.

I'm setup to have a Flowmaster 70-series muffler installed in place of the stock unit. But I've also read about guys who have 2V V10's with the Y-pipe that have run Flowmaster 70, and have reported lots of drone.

My truck CANNOT drone! I tow/haul very regularly up mountain passes well in excess of 3000rpm, closer to 4000rpm. If this thing drones, I will be very disappointed.

I chose Flowmaster because it does NOT have the packing that the Magnaflow's do -- which I've read will break down over time, changing the exhaust for the worse, and causing drone. The 70 series is the biggest muffler Flowmaster makes, so I figured this must be the quietest muffler of my choices...right?

So, now I'm thinking I'll have them leave the stock muffler on there for the time being until I make a decision on which muffler to go with?

If there are other 2V V10 owners here who have *only* the Y-pipe mod (no headers), I'd appreciate any input on muffler. Flowmaster? Magnaflow? Dynomax? Ford OEM?

Again, I'd like it as quiet as possible. A deep subdued rumble is ok but it CANNOT drone.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:29 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just installed a Jones muffler, a copy of the magnaflow. Mine is really quiet with the stock tailpipe. I do not have the Y mod yet so I don't know how that would change things. Another good option is the Dynomax Super Turbo. Just now noticed this but Magnaflow and Jones have nearly identical part #'s. Jones: MF2259, Magnaflow, 12259 $60 difference.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-install.html

Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 PM
truckfella
Elder User
A quick update.

After having the Y-pipe and Magnaflow installed first thing this morning, I have about 25 miles on the rig. A mix of city and some highway. Some constant throttle and some HARD accelerations away from stop signs/red lights.

I am VERY happy with this setup so far. No drone whatsoever in the cab. Very subdued sound. Certainly louder than stock but only barely. Who would've thought a straight-thru muffler would sound so nice on a V10??

I'm curious to hear what kind of sound it makes while hauling my truck camper over mountain passes at 3500-4000rpm. But that will have to wait until spring.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who would've thought a straight-thru muffler would sound so nice on a V10??

That was exactly my thought. Can you tease us with a pic of the Y pipe?

Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Cell phone pics in the garage at night aren't the best, but here's the final product.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:46 PM
truckfella
Elder User
And here's a few of the stock Y-pipe they cut out.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
How is the throttle response after install?

My truck does sound pretty good with the MBRP, a bit loud on the highway. Was talking to a coworker who just installed some peal & seal in his car, I may do the same in the cab of my truck.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:57 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Throttle response from dead stop is where the difference is most noticeable for me. Very much improved. Some guys have reported an improvement in mileage but I'm not likely to observe that benefit for a few days. I'm having too much fun with it so far.

Question for other guys who've done the Y: should I look into getting updated tunes to take full advantage of the Y?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
I would give Mike and Co at 5Star a call to discuss it with them, I think they will be able to tweek your tunes a bit to take full advantage of the less restrictive exhaust. They set my tunes up taking my Banks headers into consideration.

Quick Reply: 2V V10: Y-pipe goes on tomorrow, which muffler?