Sponsored by: Moser

Need new gas tank. Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:06 AM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Need new gas tank. Opinions needed.

My tank in my truck is in need of replacing. I figured I would replace it and the in tank pickup. I have looked at the LMC tanks and several others on google and eBay. Any better that the others. Install pics welcome too. Mine will have to go in from the top since my truck has dual exhaust that won't allow it to drop out.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
I got mine from O'Reily for about $120. One day wait, no shipping charges and I can return it at the local store if it's the wrong one.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:39 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered a plastic tank on Ebay. Not sure what the company was. I was very pleased with it.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:03 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm assuming that you are talking about the rear tank. I ordered a 38 gal Spectra unit from Autozone. Came in a couple of days with no dents. Make sure to inspect before accepting it! One reason for choosing this was to have the large capacity in case I had to take out the front tank. This may not be the one for you, though, with the exhaust issue.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
I used a replacement 19 gallon rear tank from AZ ('78 F250). A Spectra I believe. Worked fine with the original sending unit and other OE hardware.

I enjoy and use the truck quite a bit and now wish I had gone with the '38 gallon unit. That's a future project.

As far as where to buy, I don't believe there is much difference in the tanks themselves. It comes down to service and availability of other bits you may need at the same time (supports, adapters, new rubber fill hose ect.). I may go with LMC truck when I do the 38 gallon since they have the other parts I will need.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 84espy
I'm assuming that you are talking about the rear tank. I ordered a 38 gal Spectra unit from Autozone. Came in a couple of days with no dents. Make sure to inspect before accepting it! One reason for choosing this was to have the large capacity in case I had to take out the front tank. This may not be the one for you, though, with the exhaust issue.
If you have it installed would you mind sharing pictures from a couple angles? Just curious if it sticks out when you are walking up to the truck.

Ive been looking to go with a 70's mustang 22 gallon tank and move the fill to bed floor to avoid the messy/slow fill ups I currently have.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:43 AM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you just replace the sending unit and pickup from the tank, make sure you can get a good quality replacement. I made the mistake of replacing the sending unit when I dropped the tank for replacement on my Bronco and it's hell finding a new one...and the aftermarket ones have been lasting about two years on average before the resistor wire wears through and I get no reading whatsoever. The stock one worked fine, but I figured an after market sending unit would last as long and since I was there, I'd save myself dropping the tank again later.

Also, and this may just be me, but the tank gaskets that have came with the new units I HAVE found were terrible quality gaskets that leaked after around a month. It's very thin and not very pliable. I measured one of the leaking ones, went here and got a new one that will actually seal.

I was going to get a part number to post up in this forum, but I bought about 4 of them and wound up mixing them up after finding the best fitting one. I may or may not have been intoxicated at the time.

I THINK I got part number AN6227B-40, but I can't remember. It's simple to measure and compare, and cheap enough to buy several so you get the right thickness.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:19 AM
Robert 78 Ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out rock auto

Old 11-24-2014, 06:55 AM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Thanks for all of the responses. I have looked at the Spectra tanks and was wondering what the difference was between the F1A and F1B tanks. They both fit my truck and are only a couple of dollars difference. Does anyone know??

Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
Go here and do a little reading, I put a walk thru on dropping a tank. But since you are removing the bed maybe you can get some ideas, like painting/sealing the outside before you put it in. And recovering the support straps with anti-chaff material.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...then-some.html

Yes if you are putting a new tank in also put in a new sending unit. The difference in tanks is a Evap sys or not..again tank difference and description is in the link.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Go here and do a little reading, I put a walk thru on dropping a tank. But since you are removing the bed maybe you can get some ideas, like painting/sealing the outside before you put it in. And recovering the support straps with anti-chaff material.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...then-some.html

Yes if you are putting a new tank in also put in a new sending unit. The difference in tanks is a Evap sys or not..again tank difference and description is in the link.
Agree with this post. I used sheet rubber from the local hardware store. And make sure the new sending unit is 3/8*. Some will be 5/16 and you'll be pissed when you find that out.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Here are the pics

Old 11-24-2014, 08:32 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
84espy, thank you for taking the time to take those pictures. Cant even see it with a rear bumper.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:52 AM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Ordered the tank, sender and new straps from Amazon last night, will be here Friday. I was curious about the tank differences between the F1A and F1B. the F1A has the vent to the back of the filler tank:

The F1B has the vent on the front of the filler neck:

That might keep someone from getting the wrong tank. I will post install pics when I do the swap. Thanks for all of the replies.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:14 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
1st pic is a tank without top vent, which is for a vehicle WITH OUT an evaporative emission system.
2nd pic if for the the tank that has the EEC check valve hole on top.

"There are two differences between the tanks. Tanks with EEC have a hole in the top center of the tank. A rubber grommet and check valve are pressed into the hole. A line goes from the check valve along the inside of the passenger side frame rail to the engine compartment where it hooks up to a charcoal canister. Non-EEC tanks don't have this hole. The other difference is the nipple for the breather line that is located right next to the nipple for the filler hose is located 180 degrees opposite.
If you are going from an EEC tank to a non-EEC tank you must also change the fuel cap to a vented style. The EEC tanks are vented through the EEC system and use a sealed fuel cap. Non-EEC tanks vent through the fuel filler cap. If you run a non-EEC tank and a sealed cap the minimum is you'll have fuel starvation problems, at worst a collapsed fuel tank."

As far as the position of the vent nipple in front or aft of the fill port? Beats me.

Quick Reply: Need new gas tank. Opinions needed.