Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TNT tune on the loose!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 06:07 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Thoughtful answer. Thanks. I'm not sure I'm with you on the "public domainness" of the Ford calibrations, but it doesn't matter after all these years, anyway.

If I understand correctly, the tune PHP is selling doesn't have the tranny line pressure turned up enough to keep stock coast clutches from slipping, but turning up the pressure causes other problems. Close? As I'm typing this, I realize I don't know enough about how tranny line pressures work to have an intelligent conversation. But that's for another thread... I do know that stock coast clutches are perfectly capable of failing on their own, and don't need any help.

Mark

Old 11-29-2014, 09:50 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
If I understand correctly, the tune PHP is selling doesn't have the tranny line pressure turned up enough to keep stock coast clutches from slipping
Well, I guess I really don't know that answer for sure. I know what calibrations were sent to him. Whether or not he made any changes to those calibrations to keep the pressure above 60 PSI on deceleration isn't information to which I'm privy.

but turning up the pressure causes other problems. Close?
It doesn't cause problems with the transmission itself as long as sustained pressures above 180 PSI aren't commanded. That's as far as I'm going with that since I've seen a lot higher than that on "normal" tuning.

As I'm typing this, I realize I don't know enough about how tranny line pressures work to have an intelligent conversation.
I have a suspicion that there are a lot of people out there writing calibrations that have no idea either.

I do know that stock coast clutches are perfectly capable of failing on their own, and don't need any help.
Yep. It's a woefully inadequate setup.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
2000ca250 About the best I can do is let you take Stinky for a drive, but in respect to Cody - I'd have to insist the the only "probing" of the tune is with the dash gauges, your feet, and your butt. I hope you understand, bud.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:48 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! I have been away a little too long. Thanks Rich, and Cody. One more reason my tuning might get upgraded sooner then later.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
I can see where this TNT tune would be helpful empty or with a moderate load for nice drivability. I know a lot of thought and testing went into it. I don't know that I would miss it towing heavy the way I like to drive.

Towing/hauling in the mountains, for me anyway, involved downshifting when needed, and no cruise control. I was certainly heavy with the camper and boat (about 19K GVW), coming down the west side of Stevens pass. I kept the speed at 50-55 with what I thought was minimal taps on the service brakes (boat trailer had surge brakes, and they would kick in when I gave the service brakes a firm tap). I didn't have to slow much to take those 45mph corners. I'm a bit of a grampa when towing, and spend a lot of time watching my mirrors to see if I'm holding anyone up, and getting out of the way in a turnout or right lane as quick as I can.

I think if I still had the truck, I'd put the money into beefing up the stock tranny when it finally wore out (especially that coast clutch), and let the DP mountain tow tunes continue their more than adequate job, locking the converter and coast clutch when my foot was off the pedal. It was enough to keep the speed in check for the most part.

I still prefer to have the EBPV mechanism deleted, and eliminate that maintenance and slight restriction. I know the latter is less of an issue with a good tuner, but I was happy with DP and their service. I don't think the challenge of working with PHP would be worth it.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:05 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After searching the other forum here and their and finding no info on this, I decided to give PHP a call. They said they offer no such tune. The man on the phone was very short and made it sound like they have no plans for a tune that utilizes the ebpv. I would love to have it, but I doubt that gearhead would write a tune like this either.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Montanasteve alerted me to this thread.

The fact is that PHP has the ability to sell this calibration as I shared it with Bill while I still worked for PHP. If Bill has changed his mind about marketing it, it's his choice. In all honesty, I'm incredibly relieved to hear that he's not offering it simply because I busted my *** to write the tuning giving the truck the ability to do such things........although the stuff Bill got from me was REALLY early-release stuff and I have made some pretty significant changes to it since.

As far as I know, I am the only one who has this stuff....but I won't sell it.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Once again, they reversed gears on this. I've been driving the refined version of this tune for quite a while, and the decision to release it has bounced many times while I was enjoying the tune. Cody no longer works for PHP, so he has not deployed the developed Decel. Since Bill just has the original "crude" tune, it's probably just as well it stays in the box. This tune is controversial at best, and I wish I could go back and extract this thread from the forum. Lesson learned there.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:37 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
It sure was nice when I got to try it. Hopefully at a later date I guess.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
The only thing that came out of this little episode was that people now know it's possible and are no doubt trying to do it themselves.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Could you throw a patent on it and lock it down?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:18 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
HA HA HA.

From my previous post: "Ethical business practices aren't really the 7.3L aftermarket's forte."

I'll put it this way....
I have a lot of aftermarket calibrations on my computer from numerous companies. It's amazing how many look nearly identical to others' efforts (even down to errant byte anomalies and "special" messages). Basically, by copying my files and erasing my copyright information with a bunch of "FF"s (or even their own), it now becomes untraceable as mine and it's shared with the world. Patents cost a lot of money anyway and since I don't sell tuning it's hard to recoup the cost.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
In case anybody is wondering, I didn't spill the beans on this, Bill did - and Cody let me know. That's not to say I didn't over-blab about it here.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:34 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Non of us are perfect Rich - well there was one and he was crucified for it.........ship happens and it doesn't sound like anything negative was intended when the thread was started.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Could you throw a patent on it and lock it down?
And then Cody would be REQUIRED to defend said patent.

Quick Reply: TNT tune on the loose!