1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

media blast cab or No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
media blast cab or No?

Can't decide if I should media blast the cab or not. I'm not building a trailer queen, but a daily driver. The PO said it was walnut shelled, and has been sitting in airplane primer ever since. There are a couple spots that worry me, but I feel that the more I dig, the longer and more expensive it's gonna be... when I just finished welding the firewall holes, and moving on to the underside(which has been por-15'ed already by PO) I want to paint the firewall, interior, and make sure the underside is in good shape so when i put the cab back on, I don't have to take it off ever again. And I can start wiring the truck also...

Old 11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Only you can answer that question, what is it you see that has you worried? Bondo over a bad repair?
Not every paint job needs to be done over bare metal but the base has to be good for the paint to last. If you see something that could come back to trash a new paint job I would want to see what is under there.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:40 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Walnut shells don't remove rust, I would sand down any areas of concern and see if they primed over rust.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:43 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
There's only a couple spots. I'll take some pics and post later.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
could maybe try the fridge magnet trick to see if there is any bondo covering the bad spots? I have a '47 sedan that been in primer forever, and I plan to take it back down to bare metal cuz I want to know for sure.... but I'm OCD on such things.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:03 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Dustless blasting is gaining popularity in this area...it is a combination of pressure washing and ground recycled glass. Even in CA it is licensed to be done in the open, even your own driveway. Look up some of the websites and see if it will work for you. I like the idea that there is enough water to keep the surface temp fo the metal low so that there is no heat warpage.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
Can't decide if I should media blast the cab or not. I'm not building a trailer queen, but a daily driver. The PO said it was walnut shelled, and has been sitting in airplane primer ever since. There are a couple spots that worry me, but I feel that the more I dig, the longer and more expensive it's gonna be... when I just finished welding the firewall holes, and moving on to the underside(which has been por-15'ed already by PO) I want to paint the firewall, interior, and make sure the underside is in good shape so when i put the cab back on, I don't have to take it off ever again. And I can start wiring the truck also...

I would assess the cab 'honestly' or have a second set of eyes and go from there. A couple things to consider, its NEVER as good as it appears. And it is almost always cheaper to do it right the first time.

That being said, you are looking at how much money in primer? What do you suspect is going to pop up if you do blast it? If you suspect something big, it WILL come back to bit you or the next owner and then you have to start ALL over again.

To strip and prime a cab you are looking at a couple days of work assuming everything is already disassembled. Best case scenario, you strip it, and you get fresh primer that has not been sitting and absorbing moisture or oxidizing. Plus the primer will match whatever you spray the bed and fenders with as well.

Worst case scenario, you find some rot in the usual spots and end up with a solid truck, these cabs are pretty straight forward and easy to repair. If its in a condition that you feel is going to give you a headache after blasting you would most likely already see the rotten areas

Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Here's some words of caution if you do get it media blasted:

Make sure the guy doing it doesn't use too much pressure on the doors! The shells don't have any inner support so they can bow inward or warp - permanently.
Ask me how I know.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:35 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
What about Soda blasting? I hear it is less abrasive, though I guess quite expensive..

Old 11-18-2014, 06:14 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter Bird
I should have started my project with a blast first off as I am putting new stuff over a grotty body. What about Baking Soda blasting?

Soda blast can result in similar problems as the old chemical strip (in a tank) process with material getting into crevis locations and not being able to fully get it out or neutralize it which can result in paint issues down the road.
I like ground glass in most areas and paint remover in the larger flat areas such as the large flatter areas of the doors (as mentioned by Tom) and the hood. I have media blasted my own vehicles for over 35 years with the limits listed above.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Old 11-20-2014, 04:37 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Old 11-20-2014, 04:37 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Most of these pics are corners of rockers. These areas are my only areas of concern, besides cab rear corners. There's a couple pin holes in those. I have the cab up high on a stand, so I crawled under it. Couple spots under there as well. I tried to wire wheel the areas of concern, but couldn't get in the corners

Old 11-20-2014, 06:55 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I sand blasted the cab on my '49 F4. I actually used silica sand. I didn't blast any of the large flat surfaces like the outside of the doors or the center of the back of the cab. It works great on the areas that you have photos of.
Mark

Quick Reply: media blast cab or No?