Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:53 PM
musthunt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Injector Question

Does anyone know of or have a really good write up on the 7.3L injectors?
I've read a bunch of different posts on here and they're either contradictory or just plain confusing.
Reason for asking is that in the last year or so my MPG has gone from 16-17 MPG to 10-12 MPG with no other mods or changes to the truck.

I read one write up that said factory injectors seldom last past 200K without some kind of issues,

I'd like to know what I have, what's possible with no programming required, and what's possible that may improve my mileage back to the 16-17 MPG or better.

Thanks in advance, vehicle detais should be in my signature.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:58 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For drop in MPG's one of the most common is a bad or clogged exhaust back pressure sensor and/or tube. The sensor is located on the front of the engine, the tube is right underneath it and snakes it's way back to the passenger side manifold.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 PM
aaronbob
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-17-2014, 10:11 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Im sure many will chime in on this but like white buffalo posted above the EBPS and its tube along with leaking up-pipes ( from manifold to turbo) boost tubes, baro sensor and MAP sensor all play HUGE roles in fuel mileage on these trucks.

Injectors last well over 200k i my opinion. A buddy of mine has only replaced 1 injector which was the #8 which normally shows up bad on the scanner. He's rollin 480k mi and still gets about 17 - 18 mpg.

Injectors are what i would be concerned with last. First check the stuff thats easy and known to cause poor mileage like i listed above. There are many MANY posts related to those topics is you run a search for them.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:00 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
I
Injectors are what i would be concerned with last. First check the stuff thats easy and known to cause poor mileage like i listed above. There are many MANY posts related to those topics is you run a search for them.
This seems like pretty solid advice......before you open the body up and replace the internal organs let's make sure all the peripheral stuff is working as intended......

Do you have boost gauges? Can you eliminate boost leaks right out of the gate?

Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 PM
musthunt
Junior User
Originally Posted by River19
This seems like pretty solid advice......before you open the body up and replace the internal organs let's make sure all the peripheral stuff is working as intended......

Do you have boost gauges? Can you eliminate boost leaks right out of the gate?
Thanks Guys I guess I'll start with the sensors and such first.
The Swamps diesel write up is one that confused me, he says they seldom last past 200K without significant wear or failure.

No I don't, have gauges. They were in the plan but a tree fell on the truck early Monday morning so I have to get that fixed first. If it ain't one thing it's another.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Bummer man ! When it rains it pours !!!!

Yes gauges are a huge help. BOOST EGT TFT and FP are 4 essentials !

Trey has a nice write up on making and using a boost leak detector.

If your EBP tube is clogged the 4 sided weed whacker string trick on a drill and carb cleaner will clean it good along with compressed air. The sensor its self well if its clogged id probably just get a new one. They are sensitive and can easily be damaged when cleaning. You could get it clean but damage it at the sometime taking one step forward and one step back.

Also look for soot on the firewall. Behiend the turbo where the manifold pipes come up to the collector on the back of the turbo. Driver side is easy to see passenger side a good mirror on a stick and flash light work good.