Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 & 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:37 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Juvoo
So u guys saying I need to take the damn cab off to work on the heads if I do the upgrades on the 6.0 well I don't think that will work for me lol it seems easier for me replacing/ upgrading trans on the 7.3 ..... Guys I really appreciate your help
There is no reason to take the cab off of a 6.0

Go ask in the 6.0 section where people actually know what they are talking about.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-18-2014, 11:53 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
There is no reason to take the cab off of a 6.0

Go ask in the 6.0 section where people actually know what they are talking about.

Really? Can the heads be removed without a cab removal? I only ask because I'm use to seeing 6.0 and 6.4 trucks at the dealer with the cab lifted, and same with my independent guy who talked me into the 7.3 over the 6.0. It was a shame too because i really LOVED the power, ride and quietness of the 2004 when I drove it.

BTW...nice to see another Mustang & Power Stroke guy :-) I'm sure there are plenty of them in here.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by sowaxeman

Really? Can the heads be removed without a cab removal? I only ask because I'm use to seeing 6.0 and 6.4 trucks at the dealer with the cab lifted, and same with my independent guy who talked me into the 7.3 over the 6.0. It was a shame too because i really LOVED the power, ride and quietness of the 2004 when I drove it.
Yes, they can be removed in the truck. You can stud the truck without pulling the cab

Old 11-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had the UVCH replaced at a shop in Ocala Fl there was a 6.0 right next to it with the heads off and the cab was still on!! If you want to know about 6.0 mods call Mullins Diesel in Ocala and they will give the lowdown!For them it is a cottage industry !

Smokie

Old 11-18-2014, 04:57 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
I traded in an 04 6.0 for my 03 7.3. the 6.0 does have it's perks, don't get me wrong, and the 5R110 is an amazing transmission. but the maintenance on a 6.0 is what turned me away from it. the reliability just isn't there without either spending a ton of money upgrading it to meet the reliability of a 7.3, or spending a boat load of money keeping up with the maintenance to make sure every type of fluid is absolutely pristine. the 6.0 was light years ahead of all the other diesel engines of it's day when it came out. but that came with making the tolerances extremely tight and leading the way with a lot of unproven technology. the perk with an 03 6.0 is that it has the large tube type EGR cooler which is much less prone to failure. the power band on a 7.3 matches up much better for tasks like towing where you're not likely to get up to the 2500+rpm where the 6.0 makes it's power. but the 4R100 is nowhere near as stout as the 5R110. if it were me looking to buy a truck to do what you want to do, I would definitely lean towards trying to find CC 7.3 with a manual trans. The 7.3 just overall has fewer weak points to address than a 6.0. like I said, having owned both, I have no pause in giving you a real world view of how each truck has performed for me.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
and I just read the posts about pulling the heads with the cab on, tried it once. you can actually install studs with the heads on if you enjoy hand cramps and bleeding from multiple places on your forearms and knuckles. but when the truck blew hg's, we tried to pull em with the cab on for the better part of 2 days. ended up so frustrated we trailered it into town and had a shop pull the cab and finish it. and actually pulling the cab was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. kind of spooky actually how little holds the cab to the chassis

Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by varminthunter243
and I just read the posts about pulling the heads with the cab on, tried it once. you can actually install studs with the heads on if you enjoy hand cramps and bleeding from multiple places on your forearms and knuckles. but when the truck blew hg's, we tried to pull em with the cab on for the better part of 2 days. ended up so frustrated we trailered it into town and had a shop pull the cab and finish it. and actually pulling the cab was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. kind of spooky actually how little holds the cab to the chassis
From folks I know with 6.0s this about sums it up...sure you CAN do it with the cab on......but you can also bang a nail in with your forehead, doesn't mean it is a good idea.....

Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by varminthunter243
...you can actually install studs with the heads on if you enjoy hand cramps and bleeding from multiple places on your forearms and knuckles....
There's a new hobby - guess the vehicle by the location of the body scars and torn clothing. 7.3L? Left forearm for sure - stupid MAP sensor studs.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:16 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To sum this up.....

All Light Duty Trucks with Diesel Engines have their quirks. I don't think one is greater than the other. Although, I think everyone would agree that the 7.3 is by far the easiest to "work on" to include the 6.9. On the other hand there is nothing easy about a Van regardless of what engine is in it.

The only issue with the 7.3's is parts are beginning to become scarce. Have you tried to chase down a short block lately that didn't cost a small fortune? They've gone up about 300% in the past two years. That's a big indication of availability. And, the truck bodies are literally falling apart from age.

Don't let someone scare you from your idea here.

Regardless of what people have said, if you have the $$$ I would look strongly at an 05 or later 6.0 for both the above reasons as well as longevity. I on the other hand, I am semi-retired and don't have the money to replace my 7.3, and for the most part don't need that much Truck anymore. I'm kind of stuck with my 7.3.

Ford put more 6.0's on the street than any other motor they've sold in its class including the 7.3 DIT. So, parts will be available, shops are very familiar with them, and have it "down" so to speak where upgrades and beefing it up are concerned.

In summary, the 6.0's are plentiful, parts will be available for eons because of what followed their production.

As far as maintenance on the 6.0, I don't think there is anymore maintenance than another. It is dirtier, there are more filters, some are in difficult places, but all in all, its necessary.

Be scared, very scared if you consider other than a 6.0 or 7.3...

The 6.4's are ticking time bombs with replacement costs about $14k for a new short block. They're just now hitting the aftermarket shops because the warranties are beginning to run out and shops are learning there is a very expensive learning curve, especially with the DPF's and tuning.

Both the 6,4 and 6.7's have severe valve Trane issues. Who would design a head without proper valve guides? And in some cases with the 6.7's the valves themselves are crumbling often needing to sleeve cylinders and replace heads. The 6.7's will surpasses engine replacements under warranty by mid 2015, the 6.4 is next and it was only produced for a few years.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Yes, they can be removed in the truck. You can stud the truck without pulling the cab
That's the second time I've seen you make that claim. Back it up or stfu.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350

That's the second time I've seen you make that claim. Back it up or stfu.
Next?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Good to see it can be done...but looks like zero fun ;-) I noticed the tech said he prefers to pull the cab but he couldn't in that case because of the service rack mounted on top of the truck. I guess it is up to the tech/shop on how they prefer to do it. Me....I'm old enough and not in 25 yr old shape anymore, so working up an over the engine bay like that at happening. Thanks for the vids.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Now that is useful input. Drop one motor mount or pull the cab heat assembly. Neither looks like fun, but it makes it possible.

It really cracked me up when that exhaust bolt just spun right off - a bad omen. Pulling old crusty exhaust bolts off a 7.3L is an indicator it's been their a while before the engine needed work of this magnitude.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Next?

Thanks for the constructive reply.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350