1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1969 F100 Front End Swap with CV

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 PM
nobes1969
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 F100 Front End Swap with CV

I am doing a frame off restoration on my 1969 F100. I got a little ambitious and ahead of myself and cut out the old cradle, engine mounts, suspension, etc... without measuring the center of the hub on the frame to line up the cv cradle that i purchased. Does anyone know the measurements on how far back from the front of the frame to line up properly the cv cradle.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:55 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't one of the stock holes on the frame used for lining up the CV IFS?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nobes1969
I am doing a frame off restoration on my 1969 F100. I got a little ambitious and ahead of myself and cut out the old cradle, engine mounts, suspension, etc... without measuring the center of the hub on the frame to line up the cv cradle that i purchased. Does anyone know the measurements on how far back from the front of the frame to line up properly the cv cradle.
That ain't a "restoration"... more like a body-off restomod.

Instead of measuring from the front of the frame, what ya oughtta be doing is re-establishing the wheelbase.... and check for square by measuring the diagonals.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:58 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
That ain't a "restoration"... more like a body-off restomod.

Instead of measuring from the front of the frame, what ya oughtta be doing is re-establishing the wheelbase.... and check for square by measuring the diagonals.
This has been ask so many times maybe it's time for write up for a sticky up top.
It's getting so common with the younger group coming here for info..

Orich

Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by orich
This has been ask so many times maybe it's time for write up for a sticky up top.
It's getting so common with the younger group coming here for info..

Orich
There are several build threads linked in the Tech Info sticky.

2x.. I think a comprehensive write-up would be a good idea.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 AM
nobes1969
New User
Ultraranger, Thank you for the help on this one. It is much appreciated.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:57 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
I vote for a sticky on the CV there's atleast 5 or more threads per week asking the same rookie questions.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:07 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
OP. I don't mean to sound mean here. It's been done so many times a quick search in the above search engine has to have it shown a bunch of different (but similar) ways. We don't mind answering questions but sometimes it's better to research on the search engine and check out related threads. There are pics on the threads and as the ol' saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Old 11-14-2014, 03:20 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
^X2 almost every build/swap thread explains how they located there cv front. Step one don't cut everything off without measuring where the stock wheel centerline is......

Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
OP. I don't mean to sound mean here. It's been done so many times a quick search in the above search engine has to have it shown a bunch of different (but similar) ways. We don't mind answering questions but sometimes it's better to research on the search engine and check out related threads. There are pics on the threads and as the ol' saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words".
Does this also mean a thousand words are worth a picture?

Stickies are fine but, if everything became a sticky, there would be very little conversations to be had here and, the newer people getting into this hobby would have little-to-no interaction with everyone else.

People would just pop in, find what they needed and then be on their way, with no conversation or interaction taking place with the others.

...just something to consider.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
There is no shortage of information regarding the CV retrofit.

Some new guys apparently want to be spoon-fed a complete how-to and I don't think anyone has time to do that. If you do that's fine... By all means, take it up and lead the way. Otherwise, point these questions to the CV threads listed in the sticky (excerpted below). The onus is on the guy asking the question(s) to at least have some skin in the game before we spend gobs of time on what may be garnered from a bit of homework.

If there are questions or a lack of clarity with regards to the swap, there will be questions posted. Ain't no doubt about that....

Crown Victoria Subframe Retrofit
FTE Thread: davewild's '78 F150
FTE Thread: elgemcdlf's '70 F100 CV IFS & MN-12 IRS
Fordification Thread: Crown Vic in a '71 F100
Fordification Thread: JG_F100's '72 LWB to SWB Conversion & CV Retrofit
FTE Thread: CarCrafter's 67 F100
FTE Thread: RockntheHawk's 77 F100

Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Does this also mean a thousand words are worth a picture?

Stickies are fine but, if everything became a sticky, there would be very little conversations to be had here and, the newer people getting into this hobby would have little-to-no interaction with everyone else.

People would just pop in, find what they needed and then be on their way, with no conversation or interaction taking place with the others.

...just something to consider.
As it is now theirs only a few guys who have done the cv swap can answer the questions which are a few that are on here at regular basics,
Which is the way it is right now.

Orich

Old 11-14-2014, 09:29 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I haven't done the CV front/T-bird IRS rear swap but, I've done a lot of reading/research on how it's done. And, I do have the front and rear suspension components.

Lifting the 2003 CV front suspension out of the bed of my '69 F-100. --1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe IRS w/ 3.27 ratio and Traction-Lok sitting in the bed.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:18 AM
firegoat
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
There is no shortage of information regarding the CV retrofit.

Some new guys apparently want to be spoon-fed a complete how-to and I don't think anyone has time to do that. If you do that's fine... By all means, take it up and lead the way. Otherwise, point these questions to the CV threads listed in the sticky (excerpted below). The onus is on the guy asking the question(s) to at least have some skin in the game before we spend gobs of time on what may be garnered from a bit of homework.

I have my Cougar IRS on Craigslist right now and have gotten a few emails about it. seems that no one wants to buy it because it won't bolt right in. A guy yesterday wouldnt buy it because it was 5 lug not 4 lug, which pretty much told me he didn't research it at all. it's really easy,

step 1: Google
step 2: read the results

someone, somewhere has done it before you and posted it on the internet.

Quick Reply: 1969 F100 Front End Swap with CV