1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Possibly buying my first OBS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:04 PM
BigRick1979
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possibly buying my first OBS

I am looking at purchasing a 1997 ford f-250 extended cab short box with 144,080 miles. Has a lot done to it but I dont want to bore you. Think $4,500 is a fair price?
-New south bend clutch
-front brakes (rotors-pads-calipers-ball joints)
-gooseneck in bed
-ts 6 pos
-k+n air intake

Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
i would try and work the owner down. it is very rusty for only 144k. check the frame for plow holes, it could have previously been a plow truck. as for the engine, the exterior looks pretty dusty which is a bit sketchy. also, the interior is pretty dirty. if you want to get that rust fixed correctly, good body shops arent cheap, believe me. i would keep an eye on it but i think that $4500 is a bit much for that amount of rust. also those repairs look good, yes but a powerstroke with only 144k shouldnt need a valve cover gasket or injector O-rings. you have to think about what might have caused that and what else might be damaged.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
I would get him down some more, doesn't look like its been taken care of very much.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
What these guys said...

Hmmm, well, that's a cool setup and you get a ZF with a good clutch. It looks to have a new GP relay. Are the "injector seals" new o-rings on all injectors? Are all of the GPs new or just one? The price doesn't seem bad for mileage, but the rust is questionable. I have never dealt with a rust-filled truck, but some of the other guys on here can help you with that. i think you might wanna check the core support, spring hangers, and tailgate areas.

Mechanically, check the valley of the engine for diesel or oil pools. These would indicate leaks form the fuel bowl, HPOP, or turbo o-rings. Also, MAKE SURE you check the turbo fins for sand/dirt damage. These turbos do not fare well with that K&N. If you purchase, get that off of there ASAP!!! Replace with a Napa 6637 or equivalent. Try starting the truck when it has been sitting overnight and not warmed up. See how it cold starts, this can tell you a lot. I noticed it has the stock DP. You'll want/need to change that out pretty quick as well. Check all of your fluids...diffs, trans, engine, transfer case. Are they full? Burnt? Smell abnormal? I'd also be wondering about a chip dded to a truck with a stock DP. These things indicate to me that the PO did not know what he was doing really and could have run this truck pretty hard without knowing what he was really doing. Does it have gauges? I don't see any and this would be HUGE red flag for me personally.I hope this helps...I'll try to line it out.

Engine-oil, how often was it chnaged, leaks, cold start, GPs, GP relay
Batteries-new? same? good cables? corrsion
Trans/Transfer Case-fluid level/type, cracked housing
Diffs-fluid level, smell, clarity
Turbo-dusted fins? shaft play?
Electrical-dash lights work? WTS light come on?

I am sure I forgot a lot of things, but others will chime in and clear it up for me. Overall, truck looks to be rode hard and put up wet. These are good, tough trucks, but your looking at some money if it needs a turbo, DP, right away. Hope thus helps you and doesn't confuse you too much.

Oh, and welcome to FTE! You're in good hands here.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 PM
BigRick1979
Junior User
Thank you all for the responses. Up here in Wisconsin that is typical rust for the mileage. I have done oil cooler o-rings, EBPV delete, 3" dp, wicked wheel, 6637 mod on my buddies truck so I am well aware of the cost. I already knocked him down from 5500, dont think he will budge much more. This won't be a daily driver until I get the down pipe, 6637, ebpv delete, and gauges done. the only noticeable oil leak was from the dipstick (minor if I remember correctly) all new Glow plugs, relay, Had the injector o-rings replace while they did glow plugs (dont know why). I am going again this Thursday 11/13/14 to look at it for a final time with cash in hand. Ill be sure to check out the other mentioned things.
He just installed intake and chip this past month because his buddy sold his truck and gave them to him, he stated he only uses +50hp position and high idle. Two new batteries alternator, starter, and I am sure I am forgetting something.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:17 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They all say, "I only use the 50hp position" lol...
That's the typical rust you see here in Maine too; such a shame, good trucks... if I was from a rust free state Id tell you don't go back but realistically I bet he could get 3500-4k for it, around here anyway.. BUT, do you guys have "inspections" where the rust would prevent you from getting a sticker? I've given up buying trucks from New England, I flew out to AZ for this last one.. You don't have to brake the bank ether, one way flight to Oregon and you'd have yourself a nice ride back in a rust free truck...
Food for thought... I know it's not apples to apples but...

1996 FORD F250 4X4 7.3 POWER STROKE DIESEL SUPER CAB $3450
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4750718885.html

1997 ford 4dr f250 superduty 4x4 xlt powerstroke diesel $5000
http://roseburg.craigslist.org/cto/4726069478.html

1996 ford powerstroke 4x4 lifted|| 7.3 $5950
http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/4736683369.html

Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The dipstick is a hard fix. If you can get away with it there is a kit you can but to fix it. But it's a bit pricey. The other option is to pull the motor and pan off and do it correctly

Old 11-11-2014, 06:23 AM
BigRick1979
Junior User
Thank you for pointing out those trucks. It has always been my dream to own an ext cab shortbox with a five speed. I'll look into it more and keep you guys updated. Thank you again for the great advice!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:11 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Those Oregon listings are all better bang for the buck, but you'll never find a truck in that shape in WI. And they also underscore how hard it is to find a 5-speed truck for sale. And indeed, ECSB is the rarest cab/bed combo; maybe the seller is banking on that.

Sad thing about the cab rust is that it's preventable, and it's most likely NOT from road salt. Check the cab rear quarter windows; they're attached to the cab structure with studs and nuts, torqued to only about 25 INCH-pounds. Problem is, they're not loctite-d, so they work loose, and water gets in and pools in those cab corners. Nuts on ours were all only finger-tight. Once we tightened 'em, with loctite, no more water incursion.

It's borderline at $4500. Generally, any 5-speed 4x4 in half-decent shape is worth $5000-5500, but this truck's been put through its paces. Rust is worse than "typical" for WI, but not a lot worse. Dust in the engine compartment is always to be expected; it's a little more than what you'd expect, but again, not a lot. It's obviously gotten some attention (alternator, GPR, etc). Cash is king; wave forty Franklins under his nose and see what happens.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:27 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2, $4k sounds fair.
How is the front end holding up? That could be a deal breaker.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And its a ECSB! Don't see them everyday. I agree with what everyone says here, she's pretty rusty. If you could get him to 4k I would say, deal. That is pretty low mileage (see my sig) rust wise, thats about how they are here in northern Illinois. Unless you get lucky and find a southern truck that hasn't been in this slop up here.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 PM
BigRick1979
Junior User
$4500 to much didn't realize box was this bad. Received these pictures this morning. Called him up said the best I can do is $3500 cash and ill let you keep the sun drop cans. Told me $3,750 it was mine. Going thurday to pick it up. Planned on spending $5500 so the money I saved is going to RiffRaff in $5 turbo back exhaust, 6637 filter kit triple gauge pod (unless the edge scanner is better) boost and pyro gauge. Have trans temp already from previous truck as well as water temp and oil temp.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:52 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I could live with the bedside rust, but eeek, that tailgate.... ick! Beer-slider window may be the other reason for the cab rust; those things are notorious leakers.

I been wondering what the snow is like up there so far. Those tires actually look half-decent.

Dude loves his Sundrop.....

Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Clean it all up and it will make you feel a lot better. Its beyond me how somebody can sell a vehicle without cleaning it up first.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Clean it all up and it will make you feel a lot better. Its beyond me how somebody can sell a vehicle without cleaning it up first.

I couldn't agree more Glenn.. My brother in law and I have a theory we can find at least one Macdonalds French fry in every used car....

Quick Reply: Possibly buying my first OBS