F150 5.4L V8 vs. F250 5.4L V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:09 PM
digruk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 5.4L V8 vs. F250 5.4L V8

[First time post from an Automotive Dummy]… Long story short:I own a 2002 F150 XLT 5.4L V8 Triton (112K Miles) 4x4 Shortbed that has served me well these past 8 years (two blown spark plugs / coils notwithstanding).I live in the northern part of Utah with the Rocky Mountains as my backyard.This summer I got myself into a bit of a situation when I could not drive out of a spot where we had been camping.Admittedly, I was overloaded… 4 Wheeler in the bed, pulling 27’ Trail-lite trailer.My truck was unable to drive up a pretty steep dirt road to get out to the main road.Even shifting into 4 wheel drive (high or low) made no difference.I could make it about half way up the hill when the truck would just stop… no lost traction, no spinning of the tires… just no forward movement.Clearly I was pulling too much weight (don’t chastise me too much on this, I’ve learned my lesson J ).Other than the steep dirt road, my F150 pulled everything like a champ.We made it out just fine going a different route, but it is obvious to me that I need to either haul less or buy more truck.
I would like to step into the F250 realm, but am unsure exactly of where I need to be in that range. Therefore the question… If I am looking towards a 2008 or newer (limited funds means it has to be used), how does the 5.4L V8 compare in the F250 vs. what I already own in the F150?Will the newer F250 5.4L V8 be sufficient or do I need to step up into the 6.2L V8?I’ve been told to steer clear of the V10s for those years, is there any merit to that? I have also been told to look at a “Big V8” but I am not sure how to even tell what that means. I am hesitant about going Diesel because, while I drive the truck an average amount, most are very short trips (less than 5 miles from the house to the office).I only really tow something 3-4 times a year.Any advice?
So there is the long back story for a (seemingly) easy question. Let me know if I need to clarify any points to make things more understandable.Thanks in advance for all your help! My apologies if this fits in an existing thread already...

Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Anomic
Senior User
The 2008 super duty has the bugs worked out of the 5.4/6.8 gas engines.

The 5.4 3v has more power than what you have but if you can find one and dont mind the MPG penalty the 6.8 has alot more power (towing not speed). If you are going to bother to upgrade for better towing performance i would go 6.8 and then never have to worry about bogging on a hill. Tires are going to break loose first. It will also have a 5speed auto or 6 speed manual which either will handle towing better than your 4 speed.

I would look for 4.30 rear end limited slip makes a big difference with either motor.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 AM
digruk
New User
Thank you for the reply. In looking at the used trucks in the area, I've seen a few 6.2L but had not seen a 6.8L option. I'll start paying closer attention and see if I can find one to look at. Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2014, 04:23 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Although what I'm about to say will not help your situation nor answer your questions ( I hope you get the answers you're seeking) I still feel the need to say it, If your engine would not pull ANY camper up an incline that you were able to safely drive down over... in LOW 4x4 and not spin the wheels the engine has major issues, I have been around trucks of all sizes and owned most at various times ( from mini pickups to semis) and have never seen anything like what you describe, I'm scratching my head on this one.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:27 PM
digruk
New User
Thanks for the reply. As I said before, I am an automotive dummy, but I WAS pulling TOO much weight and the hill WAS pretty steep. While I can't say exactly why, I just figured I didn't have the HP and/or torque to make the tires keep moving forward. Either way, it is time for a new truck.

I have asked basically the same question to lots of different people, and the funny thing is, I get just as many different answers back. If I categorize my answers I come up with the following list:

1. Go with a newer F250 5.4L, you'll be fine.
2. Stay away from the newer F250 5.4L, it's the same as what you already have.
3. Go with a F250 6.xL, it will pull so much more.
4. Stay away from the F250 6.xL, they are terrible.
5. Go with a Diesel, it will pull anything!
6. Stay away from Diesel, they are maintenance nightmares!
7. Go with a F250 V10, that will give you extra power.
8. Stay away from the V10's, they are "dogs" and buy you nothing.
9. Look at the Silverado 2500 6.xL they are amazing.
10. Stay away from the RAM 2500, they are no good period.

You get the point... anyway, just looking for a few trends to help point me in the right direction. I realize that since I am not willing to spend the amount of money required for a newer model truck, that I am between a rock and a hard spot.

I appreciate the help and any other opinions anyone has to offer.
Thanks!

Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by digruk
Thanks for the reply. As I said before, I am an automotive dummy, but I WAS pulling TOO much weight and the hill WAS pretty steep. While I can't say exactly why, I just figured I didn't have the HP and/or torque to make the tires keep moving forward. Either way, it is time for a new truck.

I have asked basically the same question to lots of different people, and the funny thing is, I get just as many different answers back. If I categorize my answers I come up with the following list:

You get the point... anyway, just looking for a few trends to help point me in the right direction. I realize that since I am not willing to spend the amount of money required for a newer model truck, that I am between a rock and a hard spot.

Thanks!
Lol, I hear ya, were you actually trying to drive up a traveled way? if so.....In my opinion (and yes, I do know what they say about opinions, mine included) If your engine was running on all 8 cylinders and your transmission/torque converter is working as it should with the transfer case in 4 low range with the hubs locked in something should have broken.... like an axle or something. I'm going to watch this tread for some of the guru's to add there knowledge and expertise.

Forget about the traveled way question, went back and reread your OP and see that you were on a road.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 PM
jerem0621
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you know your Rear axle ratio? If its 3.31.. thats probably the issue...barring any other issues.. JMHO...

I pulled a 31 ft 7700 lb travel trailer with a fully loaded bed... (yea I know, overloaded) up a steep grade and the truck pulled it great. Your truck should have made forward progress..

I think an upgrade is a good idea too... I've considered a 5.4 F250 before and would have no problem pulling a TT with one. However, a V10 would do it better without much...if any... of a MPG penalty. You may even get BETTER MPG in the right circumstances.

The Ford Gassers are GOOD motors. 2v, 3v... and the 6.2.. all good.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Old 11-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own a 5.4l 2006 F-250. I love it, it pulls very well, I have the 4.10 rear axle so I cant go all that fast, but it doesn't stop when im towing. 62-65mph is the best towing speed.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A V10 of any particular year is the exact same thing as the 5.4L of the same year but with 2 more cylinders. '05+ has the 3V engine with a lot more hp/tq and the much better torqueshift tranny. Absolutely NO comparison to the old 2V's/4R100's. You'll ruin any new gen diesel in short order doing 5 mile trips. The 3V's have some cam phaser and plug issues until 2009, after that those last 2 years ('09, '10) they are pretty nice. I am not familiar with the 6.2L's yet so can't say on them but I do know the tranny's in the '11+ are even nicer than the original torqueshifts.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are still looking I'll throw in my thoughts on all the points you have below.

Originally Posted by digruk

I say no. Had one and really did not like it at all. They come with 3.73 gears that just made it no fun
My 05 F150 5.4 felt much more "powerful" but only because it likely weighed 1500lbs+ less. So in a way yes it may be the same in "feel" but it is a heavier duty truck vs your F150
If you are talking the new 6.2 gas I've seen some do some impressive things. There is a thread called Ohio Truck Meet, or something like it, where a bunch of FTE members flog their different trucks up a hill pulling a ton of weight and the 6.2 did a great job.
Again not sure if you are referring to gas or diesel. 6.0 diesel has a bad rep. I haven't heard a bad rep for the 6.2 gas. Usually the bad reps come from one of two places. Those whom have owned them and complain or those of us who hear/read stories about problems and use that as truth.
They sure will, especially that new 6.7!
If you claim to be an auto dummy either pass on diesel or use Ford for maintenance if an issue should arise. Another added cost.
Now, I am partial to this. That V10 will pull and I think when floored my empty F350 dually moves quite quick.
Couldn't disagree more, but if someone is coming from a diesel they are just used to the performance characteristics of one. I would say look at a 3V (05+) for the best power. If they are such dogs and unusable how come they are still offered in the new 450/550/650 trucks? Must be a demand for them....
Don't know a thing about chevy
My buddy only drives cummins rams and his trucks have done him well. But he does buy a new one every few years but only because he wants the new one.

Thanks!

5.4 V8 trucks have less oomph that the 6.8 V10 and diesel trucks of the same year have the most power.

3V gas trucks have plug sticking in the head issues up until 2009 year. Look at the coil packs as the black colored ones indicate older style plugs that will potentially have issues and brown colored ones mean new style plugs. I'm talking the color of the piece not because it's burned or anything. If you buy from a dealer consider having the plugs done there and budget $500+ for that.

Diesel, well I don't own one and can only give you what I hear. Leave it stock and maintain to a "T" or if you do modify for performance do ALL that is required.

Ok, beyond the motor look at everything else

Ball Joints
U-Joints
Rust
All fluids
Brakes
Body
Frame
Tires

SuperDuty trucks get expensive when it comes repair time, especially if you cannot do the work. Parts are bigger and more expensive and you need to have some really good hand, power, air tools to help repair if you do the work.

The real plus to a SuperDuty is that it can handle the heavy work better than the F150 IMO. Good luck in your search, if it still continues, and just test drive everything to find something you like. Every combo will have pros and cons. I look at it as which cons can you live with the most.....

Old 12-25-2014, 03:38 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, since it was dredged up out of the grave, I have to say there was some kind of problem with the OP's truck. Someone else already said it; in 4X4 low with main transmission in low, there would be wheel spin or parts breakage on a steep grade. No way could any truck simply 'not move', and the biggest engine in the world would not have made any difference on that day. I suspect a problem in the transmission involving the torque converter or failure to downshift. Hell, my V6, 2WD manual might not pull that load up that slope either, but the rear tires would be smoking/throwing dirt. Something else was wrong - plain and simple. It actually reminds me of something that happens in FWD cars with 'Traction Control' although it could not be that in this case. When trying to go on snow or ice, 'Traction Control' uses the brakes to drag one wheel, throwing the power to the other side. Sounds great but when you give it more gas like you sometimes have to do, its like the more gas you give it, the more it drags the engine down. The first time I experienced this it almost got me killed at an intersection. I had the presence of mind to turn TC off after which I was able to gas my way out of the problem.
But I digress. Something was drastically wrong with the guy's truck and he was falling into the 'more engine' trap like most truck owners.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 PM
trweaver
New User
I am a big fan of my f250 5.4L 318xxx miles and still going strong. Just goes to show you take care of your engine and it will take care of you