6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Problems Filling DEF

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Is this the one?

Def Magnevator by Five Star Def Activates Magnetic Def Nozzles at Truck Stops | eBay

I am not sure that all DEF jugs have a standard size/thread cap on the jugs.. Also wondering if the use of this unit will prevent the automatic shut-off process of the nozzles..
Appreciate the info, but I think we need some actual reviews of the product..
Right now, I am leaning toward the do-jobby (technical term) that goes inside the filler neck. That doesn't help with allowing you to refill your jugs however...
If you look at the cap for that magnevator you can see the magnet ring on it and that's really all it take to make the check valve in the nozzle open up.

I have often thought about trying to find a magnetic ring like that to slip over the end of the nozzle but just never messed with it since I always had the collar.

And the over-fill shutoff on the nozzle is separate from the magnetic check valve so it still works no matter what else.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 PM
laurin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As soon as I get the Magnet I will let you know how it works. I am hoping like Ltngdrvr said that the ring magnet is all that I will need. I will let you know. And yes Big-Foot that is what I ordered.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
I had the same experience the first time I stopped at a truck stop. I was getting the DEF a penny at a time from the pump. I got tired after about 50 cents worth (enough to get home).
I ended up buying two jugs from my Ford Dealer in the box but no filler nozzles in my box...and the box was still sealed. My receipt has the same part number as the pic I've seen on another thread (PM-27-J). I just used a funnel but I can see that the Ford filler nozzle would be less messy and quicker.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by laurin
As soon as I get the Magnet I will let you know how it works. I am hoping like Ltngdrvr said that the ring magnet is all that I will need. I will let you know. And yes Big-Foot that is what I ordered.
It'll work just fine.

And even though I already have the collar style one for my truck, I'm thinking of buying this one since it looks like it will allow the nozzle to fit into the tank more which is my only issue with the collar as only about 1/2" of the nozzle sticks out of the end of it.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Is this the one?

Def Magnevator by Five Star Def Activates Magnetic Def Nozzles at Truck Stops | eBay

I am not sure that all DEF jugs have a standard size/thread cap on the jugs.. Also wondering if the use of this unit will prevent the automatic shut-off process of the nozzles..
Appreciate the info, but I think we need some actual reviews of the product..
Right now, I am leaning toward the do-jobby (technical term) that goes inside the filler neck. That doesn't help with allowing you to refill your jugs however...
I admit the name sounds like the old magnets you put on the gas line next to the carburetor to "double you gas mileage". Some of you do remember carburetors don't you? I never fell for that one but just now ordered one for the DEF. I mean, how complicated can a magnet be? I guess I will find out for $13.50. I only rarely go by any truck stops though so won't use it much.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Would be great if someone came up with some magnet deal that just attached to the DEF filler on the truck permanently so you didn't have to fool with the nozzle collar. All the DEF tanks on the 18 wheelers are being made that way now.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:33 PM
laurin
Junior User
Well the nice thing is if the magnet can be pulled off of their cap it can just be attached to the wall inside of the fuel door and you won't have to dig around for it. I hope that it will be that simple!

Old 11-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I also carry the ford fill spout in case I need to buy some of the blue def from wally world.

I would suggest you get one and keep it on board if you travel a lot.
I have considered that, but the spout is for a 2.5 gallon jug. I question as to how it would function in a 1 gallon jug. It seems like the inner tube would bend back up and not stay at the bottom thus defeating it's purpose.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
All of the BlueDEF jugs I've purchased were 2.5 gal.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I have not seen anything other than the 2.5 jugs.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
I got three 1 gallon jugs of Peak Blue DEF recently. No 2.5 gallon jugs available.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:45 PM
FiveStarDEF
New User
Howdy

Nice Forum. Discovered it today while following up on some research on DEF.

We (my wife and I) own and run Five Star DEF LLC. I designed the "DEF Magnevator" and have built 70 of them. I buy magnets in bulk, cut a piece of standard nylon tube to length, heat form the end to fit the nozzle, cut a hole in a standard Jug cap, and then assemble the parts using an adhesive. The wetted parts are made from materials listed in the ISO specification for DEF compatibility. The assembly is cleaned using a controlled process certified for DEF usage.

They work great on all jugs (the cap does not need to fit the jug to work) that the DEF nozzle fits in. Thanks to all that have purchased one. I've just started building another batch of 70.

I purchased the DEF nozzle and magnet assembly used on most DEF pumps from an OEM. I used these items to come up with a device that works better than the current OEM product (it's shorter) and is less expensive. I took the items all apart and figured out how they work (semi-retired aerospace engineer with time to burn).

Ltngdrvr: I think you have summarized how they work mostly right. As I understand it, the magnet does not directly activate a valve that controls the flow of DEF - it is integrated with the pilot valve that closes the main valve when it senses fluid in the end of the nozzle. The shutoff function still works when the nozzle senses fluid at FULL. I'm working on a magnet device that installs on the DEF fill port (same threads as the cap) and still uses the Ford DEF cap. Expensive tooling required, and would only work on a Ford...

The magnet is simple, but there are some important details in how the setup works (I tried lots of ring magnets before I got it right). The Field Direction ("axial" NOT "radial") and polarity ("N" NOT "S") facing the end of the nozzle) have to be correct. In addition, the magnet only works if it is held in a very specific location on the nozzle. Using just a magnet would be tricky since the opposing magnetic field in the nozzle tends to make it hard to hold in position. I tried this and it did not work so well for me.

laurin: THANKS for buying one of our products. You may find it difficult to take the Magnevator apart to try just the magnet, although anything is possible. If you want just a magnet, let me know via PM, and I'll send you one. I could not make it work this way (no way to control position and polarity) and I was worried about contaminating the DEF nozzle which is important to the next user.

We make and sell other DEF related items, including spouts that fit the popular jugs. We also sell technical urea and related items for making your own DEF in kits. We've been at this for about a year, and are having some success. I've used over 30 gallons of DEF I make myself from technical urea and distilled water in our F350 and it works great. All of our products have been tested for contamination compatibility with DEF by independent laboratories.

Note: We have a 2013 F350 CC 4X4 DRW that we use to haul a big Arctic Fox Pickup Camper and Utility trailer since we retired and split our time between Seattle WA area and Morristown, AZ area. Just completed the winter migration, and can't say enough good things about our truck. AWESOME power, decent economy (10.5 MPG with the camper and utility trailer, 17K GCW, cruise control set at 65-75 most of the way) and comfortable to spend all day in. Over 30K miles problem free.

Check out our website if you want more of the story. Don't hesitate to ask us questions about DEF - we've done a lot of research and work on the subject and don't have a problem sharing.

Note The "DEF Magnevator" name came to me after a Red Solo Cup full of something refreshing...

Regards,

Erich Weinberg Five Star DEF
"Innovative DEF Solutions"

Old 11-07-2014, 08:46 PM
laurin
Junior User
A possible solution to a small problem.

Erich, thank you, I received my cap today. I am interested to see how it will work at the DEF pump at the pump. Thank you for the quick response and I will post as soon as I have the opportunity to use it. This is a great forum for sharing knowledge and experience.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Erich-
Thanks for posting and joining us on here. I'm going to purchase the Magnevator for my truck, too. For $13, I'll give it a try!

Quick Reply: Problems Filling DEF