1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

AC Bracket for a 1967 F100 300 engine underdash unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
i am not real sure about the differences. i guess changing from the pull cable to the slide cable controls may make the difference. the one i installed into mine did not fit right the heater box interfere with the blower mtr. i had to cut some of the heater box off.. now the blower mtr. has quit and i dont have another like it. i would probably be better off changing the complete thing.. i have another old ford a/c unit in a 63 galaxie that is alot smaller i am thinking of using it maybe

Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Baja, here are a few more photos of the wiring. Got to clean it up a bit. I also included a photo of the alternator side of things:

Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
What is your water pump pulley from and do you happen to know what the number on it is?

Reason I ask, I got a C-2 power steering pump and brackets from a 300 in an '83 Ford pickup a few weeks ago. I also grabbed the 3-groove water pump pulley from it.

The rear and middle grooves on this '83 pulley I have are the same (larger) diameter as the stock single groove water pump pulley that was on the 240 in my '69 but, the front groove of this '83 pulley is smaller than the other two. --it looks like the water pump pulley on your truck.

[/QUOTE]

The '82 300 3-groove water pump pulley I put on my truck (when I added PS) is smaller in diameter and, all three grooves on it are the same diameter.

....just wondering.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks Sam, I will save this to my files for reference when I get South in Early June. I am dodging tornadoes in Texas at the moment, and looking for my waders in case it floods. The water in Lake Granbury, is to the max right now, and more rain this weekend is forecast.
I have a factory A/C bracket, off Evilbay, but not the top part. That's ok, as I bought a Sanden #507 (uses R-12), and will need to make a bracket for that anyway. Rich clued me to the pressure difference between R-12 and R-134 systems. Since both are available in Baja, ( no freon hysteria there), I chose to go with the lower pressure, and colder air, using the R-12. Since I am NOT any sort of expert on this A/C thing, I defer to those who are, and hope for the best.

How's your A/C working?

Baja

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Blowing nice and cold. Be safe out there.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Well Steve, I just might be able to do the 2nd best thing. I bought the one in the photo, and after I had won it on Evilbay, my son-in-law picked one up for me in Austin, and has it at his house in Fort Worth. I really don't need 2, so I will photograph it tomorrow, and if you like, you can have it for $50 + shipping.

Baja
Hmmm....

You have an extra under dash A/C unit you don't need. I have an extra compressor mounting bracket (WITH the top mount) for a 240/300 that I don't need.... might could do some horse trading (?).

--just look at that bracket (sexy sexy)

Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
i LOVE THE BRACKET! we can do a trade. I am headed to my Bro-in-Law's this afternoon, and will take some photos.. Might be later, like 5:30 or so. The unit looks to work, but no way to test it here, at least not until I bring it back to our Granbury house.

I have already purchased a Sanden #503 compressor, so will have to fab some sort of pivot, or idler pulley for belt tension, but not a problem. Since R-12 is available all over Baja, and they are not in the Ozone panic mode, I went with the #507, so I could use the lower pressure, and factory intended R-12. Hope it is a good choice. I am definitely NOT an A/C tech, but can learn... slowly, but learning...

Later amigo
Baja

Old 05-22-2015, 01:58 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
i LOVE THE BRACKET! we can do a trade. I am headed to my Bro-in-Law's this afternoon, and will take some photos.. Might be later, like 5:30 or so. The unit looks to work, but no way to test it here, at least not until I bring it back to our Granbury house.

I have already purchased a Sanden #503 compressor, so will have to fab some sort of pivot, or idler pulley for belt tension, but not a problem. Since R-12 is available all over Baja, and they are not in the Ozone panic mode, I went with the #507, so I could use the lower pressure, and factory intended R-12. Hope it is a good choice. I am definitely NOT an A/C tech, but can learn... slowly, but learning...

Later amigo
Baja
My nephew's 90 F250 could use some R12. Sometime you passing through AZ if you could sashay some of that R12 my way that'd be Cool. (pun intended). I'll pay you for it.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
OK here are some photos, tell me what you think. It is a shorter unit than the big one I got off Evilbay.. and it looks in pretty good shape. On one end, the plastic is not even with the face, but it is all there, and could be pulled out to match the rest of the unit... nothing missing, just pushed in about 1/2 inch..

Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
OK here are some photos, tell me what you think. It is a shorter unit than the big one I got off Evilbay.. and it looks in pretty good shape. On one end, the plastic is not even with the face, but it is all there, and could be pulled out to match the rest of the unit... nothing missing, just pushed in about 1/2 inch..

Hmmm.

I guess there was a misunderstanding on my part. I thought the unit you were referencing was this one that you had initially posted a picture of:

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...ebf40a282a.jpg

I'm not totally sure what I'll do in getting an under dash unit (??) I've been more of the mindset, all along, to just go with a modern aftermarket under dash unit that integrates both heat and air. My truck hasn't had A/C since I've owned it. I guess a while longer without it won't kill me.

Modern vehicles turn the A/C compressor on when you select 'defrost.' The conditioned air dehumidifies the air to thaw out the windshield faster, when it's fogged over inside.

I guess the search for me, or which direction I'll go, continues.....(sigh).

Thanks anyway for the offer. I do appreciate it.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:58 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Sorry for the confusion. I ended up with the 2nd unit, due to some confusion too. I won the bigger unit, on an Evilbay auction, and paid $240 + $50 shipping. The seller shipped it via USPS, and posted a tracking number. When I tried to track the shipment, I kept getting a message, to check later, as often it takes some time for the system reporting, to catch up. ?? huh? After 7 days or so, I still got the same message, so sent money for the 2nd A/C unit, which was on CL.
As you might remember, I was working in PA, at a Nuke plant, and having stuff sent to my amigo's address in CA, for the eventual packing & hauling to Baja on my return. The plot thickens, and some confusion enters, stage West. My amigo's wife received the 1st A/C unit, and stashed it in a bedroom closet. My amigo had looked, and did not see it, so informed me that it had not arrived. By this time, about 2 weeks had gone by. Not wanting to pester my CA friends, I resigned myself to deal with it when I was finished with work. Now, we can fast forward to a morning email from my amigo, who typed "Eureka, I found it".. and turning the page, we are where we are right now. I'm still partially confused, but that is a life condition, only slightly exacerbated by current events.

No problem with the smaller unit. I will ship it to CA and have room in the truck for it to ride South to Baja. Never know, when a fan motor needs replacing, and they look similar enough, both being Frigeking, to be interchangeable.

Stay dry amigo, its raining like F... here.

Baja

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User

Here's a few more photos of the ac install. Take a look at the drain plug area. We used a second grommet similar to what was provided for the high beams/carpet kit for a clean install. Decided to run it almost straight down on the tranny tunnel. Hopefully that doesn't bite me but I don't see why it will? I think it is a cleaner install that way and it won't get in the way of my foot.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Steve, this photo, looks very similar to the unit I have that is my extra, and is here with me in Texas. BTW Sam, it looks very nice to me. Clean install, hope mine comes out as nice.

Baja

Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Steve, this photo, looks very similar to the unit I have that is my extra, and is here with me in Texas. BTW Sam, it looks very nice to me. Clean install, hope mine comes out as nice.

Baja
You are too kind.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
The A/C compressor bracket you are looking for, to mount the style of compressor you are wanting, looks like this. (Bracket is 2882 in the diagram below)

You'll need to find an '80-'86 Ford pickup with a 300 to get the brackets from. I pulled this bracket from an '82 model. --The factory A/C compressor I have on a 1990 Mustang 5.0L GT fuel injected engine has the same bolt pattern that matches the holes on the top mount of the 300's A/C bracket.

So I was digging around a salvage yard today and came across a 1984 with the same ac bracket pictured by UltraRanger. I decided to attempt to remove it and ran into some problems removing the 2 bolts on the left side (top/bottom) where the bracket mounts to the block. I was wondering if Ford used some thread locker. Also, are the bolts removed on the left side the same way (same direction) the 2 bolts on the right side are removed? I am getting too old I guess.

Quick Reply: AC Bracket for a 1967 F100 300 engine underdash unit