1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

AC Bracket for a 1967 F100 300 engine underdash unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a photo of the end result in the installation or, if the guy went on to install BOTH belts on the compressor (?).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1344174342

If it's the finished product, I don't understand why the compressor would have been mounted that far forward, when the front pulley groove could have been used and the compressor wouldn't have needed to be placed that far forward (?).

Do you have a single groove alternator pulley or a 2-groove pulley?

What is the V-groove width of your compressor pulley? (Is it for 3/8" or for 1/2" wide belts?).

The basic component part number for the cast iron portion of my A/C bracket is 2882. I'm not certain what the number for the compressor mounting bracket is, at the top of this cast bracket.

The following diagram lists the 2882 bracket but not the bracket that mounts to the 2882 component --this is a power steering pump/bracket diagram. You would need to look at the A/C compressor/bracket diagram to get that part number.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:15 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sam's1967
Sorry to ramble on....

Any idea what the part number is for the 3 sheave pulley? I did not see it in UR thread.
I bought the new 3-groove crank pulley through O'Reilly's. It's a Power Bond brand p/n PB1064N.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Going back to post #9 in this thread, I see that Jeff mentioned the compressor mount, to part number 2882, is part number 2883.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Yepper. And I said this on #16.

Also look at Bill's belt route pics in post #14.

You'll need a 3 sheave crank pulley,idler pulley and it's bracketry,a belt,nuts,bolts,etc. Note how the inner crank pulley sheave (same position as the one you have now) and the outer one for the A/C are different diameters. So you current alternator belt and the A/C belt will be running at different speeds. This is why you'll need an idler pulley for the A/C in place of running both belts on the water pump. You would be far better off finding a donor vehicle in a JY and taking everything off it. This stuff will all match. And you'll have an application for a new belt. <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig --> __________________

Old 03-13-2015, 07:22 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Yepper. And I said this on #16.

Also look at Bill's belt route pics in post #14.

You'll need a 3 sheave crank pulley,idler pulley and it's bracketry,a belt,nuts,bolts,etc. Note how the inner crank pulley sheave (same position as the one you have now) and the outer one for the A/C are different diameters. So you current alternator belt and the A/C belt will be running at different speeds. This is why you'll need an idler pulley for the A/C in place of running both belts on the water pump. You would be far better off finding a donor vehicle in a JY and taking everything off it. This stuff will all match. And you'll have an application for a new belt. <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig --> __________________
Stuff like this is why I prefer to use Ford components when possible, as opposed to aftermarket (or some cases, afterthought) components.

Even with using Ford parts, I ran into a few snags but, it wasn't anything that I couldn't come up with a fairly easy solution to remedy it.

These are just things you run into in putting components from one vehicle on another. If you're sourcing the components from some other Ford make/model, get EVERYTHING associated to it. It'll make your life easier when you go to put the parts on your vehicle.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can move the compressor forward 1/2" and may have some play with the ac bracket as well. I am going to see if I can locate an outer pulley that mounts to the harmonic balancer.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:33 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I can move the compressor forward 1/2" and may have some play with the ac bracket as well. I am going to see if I can locate an outer pulley that mounts to the harmonic balancer.
I've never seen a 240/300 with an add-on pulley bolted to the harmonic balancer but in the diagram below, it looks like there may have been one. (See #6A312).

http://fordification.com/tech/images...ts-engcomp.jpg

Finding one may be a different story, along with idlers, brackets, and bolts.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:10 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
I've never seen a 240/300 with an add-on pulley bolted to the harmonic balancer but in the diagram below, it looks like there may have been one. (See #6A312).

http://fordification.com/tech/images...ts-engcomp.jpg

Finding one may be a different story, along with idlers, brackets, and bolts.
I have seen a thread where Number Dummy commented on the outer accessory pulley. Thanks for bringing up the v-grove belt size. The belt size on the compressor may be a 1/2 inch and the 2 pulleys that I have may fit 3/8 belt. I have to go to where the truck is. If this is the case, I am going to have to look for an outer pulley, I suspect, that fits a 1/2 belt. I wonder if this is going to complicate things even further. Any thoughts?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:01 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I have seen a thread where Number Dummy commented on the outer accessory pulley. Thanks for bringing up the v-grove belt size. The belt size on the compressor may be a 1/2 inch and the 2 pulleys that I have may fit 3/8 belt. I have to go to where the truck is. If this is the case, I am going to have to look for an outer pulley, I suspect, that fits a 1/2 belt. I wonder if this is going to complicate things even further. Any thoughts?
It looks like your water pump pulley has 3-grooves (?). It looks like the forward most groove is much smaller in diameter than the middle and rear grooves. Was this water pump pulley on the truck when you bought it or, did you add it?

My truck came from the factory with no engine accessories. It had a single groove water pump pulley, a 2-groove crank pulley and a single groove alternator pulley.

The 3-groove water pump pulley I robbed, from the '82 300, has 3/8" grooves on the middle and rear most grooves and a 1/2" groove on the forward most groove. The new crank pulley I bought is configured the same.

My '82 C2 power steering pump pulley has a 3/8" groove but, I moved the PS pump forward to line up with the forward most (1/2") grooves of the water pump and crank pulleys. This just means the 3/8" PS belt rides deeper in the grooves on them.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:22 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
It looks like your water pump pulley has 3-grooves (?). It looks like the forward most groove is much smaller in diameter than the middle and rear grooves. Was this water pump pulley on the truck when you bought it or, did you add it?

My truck came from the factory with no engine accessories. It had a single groove water pump pulley, a 2-groove crank pulley and a single groove alternator pulley.

The 3-groove water pump pulley I robbed, from the '82 300, has 3/8" grooves on the middle and rear most grooves and a 1/2" groove on the forward most groove. The new crank pulley I bought is configured the same.

My '82 C2 power steering pump pulley has a 3/8" groove but, I moved the PS pump forward to line up with the forward most (1/2") grooves of the water pump and crank pulleys. This just means the 3/8" PS belt rides deeper in the grooves on them.
The "water pump" pulley has 3 grooves. I bought the truck just like it is set up. I have not changed anything on the engine besides the valve gasket and the lifter gallery gasket. I am not sure if this is the original engine or not. The VIN on my truck decodes to a 300 but I don't know if the engine is the original or if it was replaced by a smaller engine. I will have to research this further.

In looking at the photo that I posted, it appears that the forward most "water pump" pulley may be wider and certainly smaller than the other 2.

The Compressor that I got on Ebay is a 4510/ 6664 SANDEN STYLE 5H14 O RING COMPRESSOR, DOUBLE V BELT PULLEY. Will I be able to run a 3/8 belt on this?

I probably should have had a better understanding of what I needed, what I was buying. At this time, I feel like I have a better understanding of what it takes to complete the job now, thanks to you guys on this site, but still feel I have a lot to learn.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User

I just took a look at the truck and it appears that width of the pulleys are the same, 1/2". The belts on the pulleys are worn out and measured just 7/16". I took a look at what a 3/8 belt looks like and it is clearly smaller.

As far as the casting numbers on the engine, water pump, and manifold, all were c6AE numbers. Would this be unusual for a 67 truck (i am assuming that the C6 represents a 1966 block). I did not see a part number or casting number on the harmonic ballancer.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User

I have added a few more pictures of the pulleys and my set up.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
This A/C bezel is not genuine Ford, nor was it used in 1967. This bezel is somewhat similar to the type of dealer installed deluxe A/C used 1968/72.

1967 Ford dealer installed A/C used the same chrome A/C bezel as: 1963/65 Fairlane, 1963/66 Falcon, 1965/66 Mustang & F100/250.

C7AZ-2882-A .. 240/300 I-6 Compressor Mounting Bracket / Obsolete

1965/66 F100/250 & 1967 F100/350 with dealer installed A/C / 1965/67 Galaxie/LTD 240 I-6 w/dealer installed A/C / 1968/69 F100/350 with factory installed integral A/C (combined w/the heater).

Left (upper): 1968/72 Deluxe dealer installed A/C bezel...extends all the way from the left to the right side under the dash.

Right (upper): 1968/72 Economy dealer installed A/C bezel.

Left (lower): 1968/72 F100/350 240/300 I-6 engine compartment dealer installed A/C "mount and drive" parts.

Right (lower): 1967 Galaxie/LTD 240 I-6 engine compartment dealer installed A/C "mount and drive" parts.
It appears that if I can locate the part diagrammed as 6A312 in your #14 post, I will be fine. Bill, do you have a part number for this? My compressor is 1/2 inch v groove.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Sam's1967
Elder User
In looking at some previous posts, i see that Bill previously mentioned part number C7AZ-6A312-C. I was able to locate one and hopefully this will fit my application. Any thoughts? I was advised that the bolt was an 18 X 2 but did not know if it was metric or standard. Anyone have any idea what Ford used back in 1967?

Old 03-16-2015, 05:51 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
.... I was advised that the bolt was an 18 X 2 but did not know if it was metric or standard. Anyone have any idea what Ford used back in 1967?
I don't know at what point Ford allowed to proliferation of mixing SAE with metric bolts in the (U.S. built) Ford vehicles, but it was at least by 1978. --the C2 PS pump came out in '78. My '82 C2 PS pump bracket has (3) 10 mm x 1.50 x 35 mm bolts in it. The remaining PS pump bolts are SAE.

In regards to the "18 x 2," that is an incomplete bolt descriptor. The best sense I can make out of that is the person was referencing a 5/16"-18 bolt by 2" long. However, that's the wrong size for the (3) threaded holes in your harmonic balancer.

The (3) threaded holes in your harmonic balancer are tapped for 3/8"-16 bolts (3/8" diameter, 16 threads per inch). I'm uncertain what the correct bolt length is for it though.

The holes in the balancer are not blind holes (don't have a bottom to them). They are through holes. If the bolt lengths are too long, the threaded ends will protrude out the back and get into the timing gear cover (crunch! crunch!! ....unt das ist no goot).

Quick Reply: AC Bracket for a 1967 F100 300 engine underdash unit