Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some pointers for a new guy looking at an '88 F-250 - One hell of a drive home. SEE POST 22

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm doing some research here at work trying to find out some things.
It looks like the oil leak I'm having is coming from the oil cooler, where it bolts to the engine closest to the front. I'm hoping that I can get away with just replacing the gasket and not the whole cooler.
I'm also going to replace the temp gauge sensor.
Does anyone have any information on replacing fuel lines? When I first looked at it I thought that it would be a huge job. But I think I can get away with just replacing some parts of it and not all of it - some of it is still it pretty good shape.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:14 AM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
Originally Posted by djyu
Are you targeting a diesel/manual trans combo in particular or just looking for a cheap truck to drive? Diesels are great and all but if it has not been maintained it could cost you big $$ to get going unless you happen to be a diesel mechanic of course and can do all the work yourself.
You're a little late to the party. I already bought a truck. Yes it's a diesel, no I'm not a diesel mechanic. Yes I'm doing all the work myself.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:55 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by frozenmoustache
You're a little late to the party. I already bought a truck. Yes it's a diesel, no I'm not a diesel mechanic. Yes I'm doing all the work myself.
he is late to the party because he is a spammer with hidden embedded code in the post.
but not to worry, because i got him with my big old can of spammer-b-gone.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by frozenmoustache
I'm doing some research here at work trying to find out some things.
It looks like the oil leak I'm having is coming from the oil cooler, where it bolts to the engine closest to the front. I'm hoping that I can get away with just replacing the gasket and not the whole cooler.
I'm also going to replace the temp gauge sensor.
Does anyone have any information on replacing fuel lines? When I first looked at it I thought that it would be a huge job. But I think I can get away with just replacing some parts of it and not all of it - some of it is still it pretty good shape.
oil cooler is not that bad, just a pain to get out and back in. while you have it off to change the gaskets, get a reseal kit and change both gaskets and the o-rings between the mounts and the cooler tube.

for the fuel lines, i would just replace the bad sections.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:00 PM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
he is late to the party because he is a spammer with hidden embedded code in the post.
but not to worry, because i got him with my big old can of spammer-b-gone.

I thought something was a little funny about it. I checked his other posts as I thought that it was odd that someone with 4 posts could give advice like that, and all his posts had very little relevance to what was actually happening in the thread.

Thanks for taking care of the spammers!

Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 PM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
oil cooler is not that bad, just a pain to get out and back in. while you have it off to change the gaskets, get a reseal kit and change both gaskets and the o-rings between the mounts and the cooler tube.

for the fuel lines, i would just replace the bad sections.

I'm going to try to just do the one gasket that's leaking. I'm hoping that it won't need the others. But I'll look at it once it's off and decided from there.

And I'm not sure how easy it will be to replace the bad sections. I'll take some photos tonight to show it better, it's just in a difficult spot..

Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 AM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
Replaced just about everything but the oil cooler gasket. I was having troubles with it so I decided just to leave it until I can get into a shop with heat.

But now I'm stuck with a truck that's not running. It has to do with fuel/fuel delivery.
I replaced two lines that run under the drivers sided of the cab. I believe they are return lines as they are 5/16" lines.

I did my best to bleed the air out, but I don't know how well it work. I cracked an injector on each side and cranked it over. It started and ran for about 15/30 seconds but then died. I tried again, and nothing. I've tried several combinations of injectors cracked open (half-turns) and closed and I can't get it to start..

Any advice?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
how much fuel in the tanks? these trucks are known to run out of fuel at between 1/8 and 1/4 on the gauge because the pickups in the tanks crack and suck air

Old 11-17-2014, 09:37 AM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
how much fuel in the tanks? these trucks are known to run out of fuel at between 1/8 and 1/4 on the gauge because the pickups in the tanks crack and suck air
Front tank has well over 1/2.
Rear is empty. The previous owner told me not too use it, but didn't clarify why.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i wonder if the switching valve is bad, so when it is put on rear the truck will run out of fuel
sometimes if the lift pump is weak it has truoble repriming itself.
try removing the line from the lift pump and blowing into the tank for force fuel up and into the line, then connect it to the lift pump.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
My biggest concern would be ... where did 2 gallons of coolant go??!!?!?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
i wonder if the switching valve is bad, so when it is put on rear the truck will run out of fuel
sometimes if the lift pump is weak it has truoble repriming itself.
try removing the line from the lift pump and blowing into the tank for force fuel up and into the line, then connect it to the lift pump.
I'll give that a try. Doesn't make much sense as to why it would run before. I have driven it for a few minutes on the rear tank only, which made me believe that it worked just fine.

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
My biggest concern would be ... where did 2 gallons of coolant go??!!?!?
I think it just wasn't filled completely. It has a fairly new radiator.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM
frozenmoustache
Freshman User
I think that there is still air getting into the fuel system.
I wasn't able to test if the lift pump is working, I'm unsure of how to figure that out. I don't have a compressor.

I was thinking about pulling all of the injectors and putting them in bottles and seeing if they're all spraying fuel.. Could this have and adverse affects? I'm thinking about only cranking it for a few seconds?