General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Athletic Socks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Athletic Socks?

Looking for a good or great brand of socks. Back in the day the brand Burlington had high quality, over-the-calf type, pricey for the day; $4.50 a pair.

These days I'm hard pressed to find anything even halfway as nice or high quality. I'll use at least two pairs in any one day, don't mind buying 20+ pairs to keep me well stocked between washings.

As a side note and without offense to shopping preferences I will NOT EVER buy anything from "walmart" whether it be in their stores or online either. Please keep that in mind.

BTW I don't know "hunting socks" would work because warmth isn't an issue if that makes sense. Just want something high quality and long lasting.

TIA

Old 10-27-2014, 08:56 AM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i shop for socks i check the packages,,, most are labeled percents of materials ,,,,to see what they are made of and i pick the ones that contain the most cotton in them ,,surgical socks to wear under them are good 2,,,i learned that from my brother playing baseball they keep moisture off your feet somehow

Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If price isn't an issue Under Armour, and like brands, have some good sock products. Academy often has them on sale.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:56 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Did you check out the Burlington website??

I searched in Ohio and there are a couple stores in Columbus

http://www.burlingtonsocks.com/ShowS...H+43068%2c+USA

Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Slim & KW that's helpful and useful info fer shure!

Don for some reason I was under the impression Burlington as a sock maker was no longer available----obviously that's wrong and I'll have to check them out once again.

The Burlington Coat Factory is literally on my way to most things I do work-wise---they're but 1.5 miles from me. I'll definitely stop in, probably tomorrow in fact.

Keep 'em coming if anyone else has an idea-----always open to seeing what's out there.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:16 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
JWA

Did you see the Faqs on their site??

#3 should help...

The stores in my area do not carrier my favorite style; can I still buy directly from the company?
Unfortunately, not all styles are carried by all retailers. If your favorite style is still available we can special order this product for you. It would be a 12 pair minimum with a $7.00 shipping fee total payable by check or money order to Kayser-Roth Corporation P.O. Box 26535 Greensboro, NC 27405

Old 10-27-2014, 03:21 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Don I did see the FAQ's especially concerning what may or may not be in any one particular store. Worst case is I do a drive by pop in visit---its worth a few minutes time.

If they don't have anything of interest I'm glad to buy online.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:31 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
As a 9 year veteran letter carrier for the USPS I've worn through more socks than most people will ever own. As soon as they start to get thin in the heel or the ball of the foot, they go away.

I have anti blister socks through my postal uniform supplier and they are amazing. Under Armor and other like sports names do market great socks but they are too pricey just to show off their logo.

The best great priced socks that I've found are at the clubs such as Costco, Sams or BJ's. In the summer I wear the low cut ankle socks so I can get a complete tan to my feet and I can get a package of 8 pair of Jansport socks at BJ's for under $10.00 and they are well cushioned. In the winter i need a higher sock to protect my legs from the boots and the cold.

The other half of this equation is to get a high quality shoe or boot. As the insole and the outsole wear, a better sock is needed.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I'm 100% with you on tossing them away sooner than most would do. I wear sneakers almost exclusively since for work they're great; light, get good grip on my work surfaces and go through those quickly also, at least 2 pairs a year. (Even if I spend $100 or more on a pair they'd not last any longer--the tops get chewed up too quickly so cheaper it is.)

If the current Burlington brand is anything similar to their older offerings they'd be nearly perfect for my needs. I've found packs of 10 pair for $20 shipped through eBay so that's one possibility. I'm guessing I'll buy at least 30 pair so I don't run out.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,108 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
As a 9 year veteran letter carrier for the USPS I've worn through more socks than most people will ever own. As soon as they start to get thin in the heel or the ball of the foot, they go away.

I have anti blister socks through my postal uniform supplier and they are amazing. Under Armor and other like sports names do market great socks but they are too pricey just to show off their logo.

The best great priced socks that I've found are at the clubs such as Costco, Sams or BJ's. In the summer I wear the low cut ankle socks so I can get a complete tan to my feet and I can get a package of 8 pair of Jansport socks at BJ's for under $10.00 and they are well cushioned. In the winter i need a higher sock to protect my legs from the boots and the cold.

The other half of this equation is to get a high quality shoe or boot. As the insole and the outsole wear, a better sock is needed.

I never realized you were so vain Tim!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:17 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
I never realized you were so vain Tim!!!
It's not that I'm vain, it's more about looking nice when I wear my docksiders without socks and I don't have to worry about hiding a tan line around my ankles.

OK, perhaps a little vain. Even at 53, I'm told constantly that I have great legs.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,108 Likes on 4,191 Posts
I'm thinking "little" might be an understatement!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:37 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[QUOTE=tseekins;14776220]It's not that I'm vain, it's more about looking nice when I wear my docksiders without socks and I don't have to worry about hiding a tan line around my ankles.

OK, perhaps a little vain. Even at 53, I'm told constantly that I have great legs.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
I'm thinking "little" might be an understatement!!!
[QUOTE=kw5413;14776252]
Originally Posted by tseekins
It's not that I'm vain, it's more about looking nice when I wear my docksiders without socks and I don't have to worry about hiding a tan line around my ankles.

OK, perhaps a little vain. Even at 53, I'm told constantly that I have great legs.[/QUOTE]

If ya got it it, ya got it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
FWIW I used to have some fantastic socks, but I wore them out and can't find replacements however something might be around for you. Gold Toe used to make a tall thick bamboo athletic sock. These suckers were awesome, they kept my feet very dry. I wear leather work boots every day, these were a little thin for boot socks but wow they kept my feet dry and in good condition.

Me I need/use a tall black boot sock, I don't think that's what your after. But I mention this to suggest the bamboo material. No idea why it worked so much better then cotton but it did and you might be able to find a sock that works for you in that material.

If anyone stumbles on a source for a thick(at least in the soul) bamboo boot or athletic sock please let me know.

Quick Reply: Athletic Socks?