1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Antifreeze shooting out resivour

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM
memphis_made
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Antifreeze shooting out resivour

Ok so I have a 97 f150 4.6 Windsor motor it recently started doing this I have put in a new water pump heater core newer thermostat and intake gaskets as well as plugs and wires. It smells a little like gas in the resivour I had this problem once before so I replaced the thermostat and it looked to have that copper liquid heater core fix in it from the previous owner trying to fix the heater core so I thought it might've been that again but I stuck the thermostat in a boiling pot of water and it opened so I don't think that's my problem I'm wondering could be the intake gaskets leaking because the oil is clean I'm praying it's not a head gasket as I just got to ft drum ny and don't have the money to replace the engine any help would be awesome thanks in advance

Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
The only way the system pressurizes to that extent is from a leaking head gasket as long as there is no overheating and the cap is good.
Test the coolant for exhaust gas with a kit from the auto store. That should tell you the story.
Good luck.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
I think the liquid copper is the tell tale. I would guess you have a small hole in the head gasket. They have been using the liquid copper to seal the gasket... who knows for how long... I did that for a couple years on my old truck. The stuff works o.k., but not permanent. I had to redo every 9 months or so. I did have it plug the vent hole in the thermostat once and that also caused the tank to overflow.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:50 PM
memphis_made
Senior User
I can't seem to find that test no autozone or advance no what I'm talking about I put another new water pump and thermostat in it today along with a radiator cap it built and flushed the radiator again it seemed to be a lot better but then it built up that pressure again but when I took the radiator cap off this time it let the pressure out along with some antifreeze and then when I tryd pulling the cap off it tryd sucking it back on also when I reved the engine it started sucking the upper radiator hose together any ideas what's going on it doesn't over heat or mix the fluids I'm lost

Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
I don't understand why you would replace the water pump and thermostat the second time if the first ones did not help?
The upper hose is being sucked closed from the vacuum the water pump is creating. the faster you run the motor the more vacuum the pump creates.
It tells me you did not have the system filled and air purged out.
A full system with coolant cannot suck the hose closed. Water does not compress.
Are you sure the thermostat is not in backwards?
The coolant circulation is from the outlet at the lower part of the motor to the lower radiator hose and back out the top hose to the motor.
For a hose to be sucked closed the radiator has to be blocked because the pump is pulling on the upper hose. If it has no coolant it will suck closed.
Are you sure the motor was not overheating from this as the reason it was blowing coolant to begin with. A lack of coolant is as bad as air for overheating. You can get the cause and effect mixed up.
This all based on what your saying.
Good luck.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 AM
memphis_made
Senior User
I replaced them again because someone said that I could have bought a faulty one. And I'm positive it's not in backwards is there a specific way to burp these trucks also I had my wife sit in the truck while it was running it got to running temp and didn't go any higher the only thing it did do was blow really hot air out then blow warm air for a second and it made bubbles in the resivour but they looked like suds

Old 10-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
The suds is evidence of another substance still in the whole system and needs to be flushed until there is no more signs of it.
Some flushes tell you on the label this has to be done before replacing coolant etc.
Run until the thermostat opens.
Watch the bottle for bubbles and a level change downward.
Add water until it does not go down any longer and stays at a constant level.
You can tell when the thermostat opens by the sudden change in temperature of the upper hose.
While the motor is idling from a cold start it can help to squeeze the upper hose hard and repeatedly to help force air out of the system into the bottle with the cap off.
After the system normalizes put the cap on and run it to see what you end up with.
Do this all with water until your sure the problem has been cleared.
I beg of you not to run with what you are told from other sources for parts replacement because no one has proven anything, until you determine there is a need. It costs you money, time and labor just to find out, that should be spent in logic to solve the issue by observation and thinking before you act.
I don't have any more to help you with. If you still have overheating, the radiator is suspect for being partially plugged such that it has lost some ability to provide 'enough' cooling or a head gasket is leaking combustion gas into the cooling system..
Because you flushed the system does not mean the radiator is fully open.
Only a flow test at a radiator shop could determine that.
Partial blockage usually shows up as being ok under light road load until a load is put on the truck such as a long hill to pull where more throttle and more cooling is needed and road speed is slower as well.
Good luck.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:39 PM
blupupher
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sorry, here are a few periods and commas, I can't read your posts.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:25 PM
memphis_made
Senior User
Thanks for the help I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket.

And to the other guy stfu I don't need your bs input trying to be a jerkoff

Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 PM
blupupher
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by memphis_made
Thanks for the help I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket.

And to the other guy stfu I don't need your bs input trying to be a jerkoff
Correct punctuation is not BS. I can't read your post with poor punctuation.

From your post title I could have told you it was a head gasket, but trying to read your run on sentences hurt my head.

If you want help, try using some forum etiquette, like punctuation and not telling people to STFU. You will get much better results not being a "jerkoff".

But let us know if you do find out if it is your head gaskets, it is a pain to do. Hopefully the truck was never overheated and had the heads warped or you will be looking at a big repair bill.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
The coolant circulation is from the outlet at the lower part of the motor to the lower radiator hose and back out the top hose to the motor.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pdqford
Oh yeah! Do you remember Smokey Yunick? He used to have a column in Pop Science magazine many years ago. He was working on a high-efficiency engine design where he reverse-flowed the cooling system. Had it's own problems... Maybe they put one in an F-150 and didn't tell anybody

Another cause of inexplicit coolant-flow reversal description is too much Gin too early!