Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trucknology

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Trucknology

My line of work has me in the "datastream" of new technology, and there is some exciting stuff for our cabs recently released - or gnawing at the leash.
  • OBDLINK MX WiFi - Many of us have Bluetooth or wired OBDII adaptors, the WiFi version has been out for a while and I may pick one of these up. My plan is to have one unit in the car and one in the truck, to prevent the need to swap all the time. I'll see what the differences are, and if one is best for one vehicle or the other.
  • Android Lollipop - This is Android 5.0, and it looks to be a monster change, like Windows XP was to Windows '98. My fingers are crossed that it's not Android's "Vista", because I'm diving in when it's released on November 3rd.
  • Android Auto - This looks like it will fit in a double-din hole, but the unit I've seen has a big face (think rectangular mushroom). I'm still nosing around to see what will be available for our legacy vehicles, but I hope it's on par with the units I've read up on. Android was smart about this system, they focused on your focus... trying to keep cab distractions to a minimum. I'm still waiting for the "Eject" button that makes the pokey in front of me pull over.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Charge in there, we got ya covered!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Petzl Tikka RXP Headlamp: For those who absolutely have to see under the hood without dragging a light around by hand. This is a bright bugger, and it even has a sensor built into it to adjust the light for conditions (daylight vs. hoodlight). Not only does it automatically adjust brightness, it adjusts beam pattern - between wide, spot, or a mix. I want Petzl to design headlights for our trucks.

Petzl even went so far as to make it rechargeable on a USB port, and the ability to program (via computer interface) how the light responds to the sensor. While this may sound over the top, it does conserve battery without the need to push anything other than the "On" button one time - no secret semaphore of button-pushing to bypass dim or flashing modes. Low battery and no USB port handy? You can get the little cartridge that holds three AAA batteries (sold separately).

Caveat: Acquiring it will burn a standard-caliber Buck$Zooka round, about $90 (without the AAA battery cartridge).

Old 10-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Petzl Tikka RXP Headlamp: For those who absolutely have to see under the hood without dragging a light around by hand. This is a bright bugger, and it even has a sensor built into it to adjust the light for conditions (daylight vs. hoodlight). Not only does it automatically adjust brightness, it adjusts beam pattern - between wide, spot, or a mix. I want Petzl to design headlights for our trucks.

Petzl even went so far as to make it rechargeable on a USB port, and the ability to program (via computer interface) how the light responds to the sensor. While this may sound over the top, it does conserve battery without the need to push anything other than the "On" button one time - no secret semaphore of button-pushing to bypass dim or flashing modes. Low battery and no USB port handy? You can get the little cartridge that holds three AAA batteries (sold separately).

Caveat: Acquiring it will burn a standard-caliber Buck$Zooka round, about $90 (without the AAA battery cartridge).

So you recommend this product. I like the idea. With my eye sight, glasses beening probamatic, It sounds good.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
There are a gajillion new things on the web every day, it's very hard to keep up with it all... and it would be boring to sift through the junk that hides the good stuff. I'm just posting a few recent finds that apply to this group directly. I've seen plenty of head lights across a wide spectrum of prices - I just saw one today for $500. The things I find still warrant research on the part of the reader, but this light has already been screened from a lot of junk or useless wiz-bangs.

The $20 units work OK, but they frequently have drawbacks - like watch batteries, too dim, too bulky, too heavy, short battery life, etc....

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 PM
TransBrain
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I collect flashlight's I own about 11-12 stingers (recharge flashlights) among many others but that is cool. I will have to look into one of these.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I have been asked about the tablet stand in Stinky's cab. That is an Arkon seat rail floor mount for tablets up to 10", which fits my Nexus 7 in a case quite nicely. When properly installed, It does not interfere with operation of the driver seat, nor does it bump my leg. The Arkon products are more refined than many of the other brands I've looked at, so they don't make the cab look like a Borg's lair.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
USB power in the cab. I have a USB port in the head unit that can charge items, read media files from a thumb drive, or interface with a phone - but it has limited power (1 amp). A good charging USB port puts out 2.4 amp (12W). Many people buy inexpensive cigarette lighter adaptors to USB ports, but the power is anemic. I bought an adaptor that can charge two devices simultaneously - at full power (12W +12W).

You might search for a 24W or 12W+12W dual adaptor, or just a 12W single adaptor - but make sure it says 12W for each USB port to be of use as a charger for todays mobile devices.

One other thing, the USB cord you have may be for data and not really be good for charging. There are cords that are specifically made for charging your device.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
twtcad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice Tugly, Thank you!

Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by TransBrain
I collect flashlight's I own about 11-12 stingers (recharge flashlights) among many others but that is cool. I will have to look into one of these.
Same here, I use them daily on the job. Been a fan of Surefire for the pocket sizes and Black Diamond for headlamps. Might try this Petzl.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:12 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Rich for posting up on these subjects !! As you know I am clueless when it comes to tech stuff and I appreciate you keeping us abreast of what's out there and letting us know which is the "Good Stuff" I look forward to hearing what you think of the new Android 5.0 and your thoughts on the Android Auto. I really like the Petzl but there is No way I'll be able to ever afford that. But after you were talking about headlights a few weeks back I did go and steal my headlight back from my daughter. I had forgot how helpful it is.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Nice steering wheel.......

Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The steering wheel... I still say

For those of you just joining the saga: I Buck$Zooka blasted Stinky right in the snot box to get him to 100% driving condition, yet everybody convulsed and blew snot bubbles over the steering wheel grip.

If somebody knows of a good inexpensive head lamp that uses AAA or AA batteries, emits at least 150 lumens, and doesn't require 6 button presses with tweezers to get a bright light going - please share.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I get a chuckle every time I see your steering wheel in your sig rich. Sure is purdy now

Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
time to address the brake pedal cover now Tug before your foot slips off this winter...At least its cheap! I do really like you setup on all the gauges/gadgets.

Quick Reply: Trucknology