1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

My new F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Sir.Dino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My new F100

So a while back, I posted about receiving a 1957 F100 from my grandpa. At the time, I didn't know If I wanted to take the truck as I lived 500 miles away; however, after seeing it, I had to have it.

It's currently missing a fuel tank, bell housing for the clutch, and battery but after getting those, I've been told by family members that it should crank over.

I also need to get a new radiator, as the one pictured below has a hole in it. Any recommendations for a "new" one? Or can I patch it up?

Its defiantly got some work that it needs done, but in retrospect, a lot less then some of the ones I have seen others rebuilding.

Remarkably, most of the body is intact. It is only missing one piece of Chrome around the Headlights. I picked up some cheap 70's extender mirrors at goodwill that I can hang on temporarily also.

I even have a extra tailgate and right quarter panel to replace the dented ones shown here.

The paint and the bars on the bed are original from the factory.

High miles back then, lowish by current standards.

272 V8. The engine actually ran two years ago after some of the parts were cleaned and replaced. Need to get a battery to test. Does anyone have a recommendation to one I should get?

I have other photos, but these were the ones that I had on my desktop. lol I'll try to post more later.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Nice Truck! And welcome to FTE.

Personally I would get the biggest and highest ampere hour battery that will physically fit AND a charger or, a battery tender, ifn ya don't have one already. Infrequent use just kills batteries, and most of us don't use 50+ year old trucks as daily drivers.

Radiators can be cleaned, rodded out, welded or brazed and repaired. That would be my choice, versus a replacement. Remember that the original radiator cap was likely a 7 pound cap. Don't install a 16 pound cap on a vintage radiator.

Backing up a bit, decide what your plans are for the truck and a budget. Multiply by 2, and add $1500 and that's what you'll end up spending, ha ha. Seriously, old Iron can get spendy, because EVERYTHING needs inspection, removal, adjustment, repair, lubrication, painting, replacement, upgrading, downgrading, BFH, etc. count on it.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Sir.Dino
New User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Personally I would get the biggest and highest ampere hour battery that will physically fit AND a charger or, a battery tender, ifn ya don't have one already. Infrequent use just kills batteries, and most of us don't use 50+ year old trucks as daily drivers.
Alright, and its a 12 volt Battery correct? I have a passing understanding of these trucks, so its getting me to learn.

Radiators can be cleaned, rodded out, welded or brazed and repaired. That would be my choice, versus a replacement. Remember that the original radiator cap was likely a 7 pound cap. Don't install a 16 pound cap on a vintage radiator.
Good to know about the cap. I had heard that they could be repaired, so I'm pretty glad that it's possible with this one.

Backing up a bit, decide what your plans are for the truck and a budget. Multiply by 2, and add $1500 and that's what you'll end up spending, ha ha. Seriously, old Iron can get spendy, because EVERYTHING needs inspection, removal, adjustment, repair, lubrication, painting, replacement, upgrading, downgrading, BFH, etc. count on it.
I hear ya! I got the truck all covered up, so its one of those projects that when I get a few bucks saved up between college classes, I can buy a part or two and slowly fix it up. Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my ignition and door locks as my grandfather lost the keys. Any recommendations for a Fuel tank? I eventually want to mount it under the bed, but for now, I wanna get a replacement behind the seat tank.

Edit: Added extra questions.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Yes, it's a 12 volt system. No worries there.

If it were me, I'd keep the in-cab fuel tank. Reproduction tanks are available for about $250 that are good quality and drop right in. They pretty much all come from one overseas manufacturer - bought mine from Bob Drake, but many vendors sell the same thing. There is no legroom gained by moving it elsewhere and the safety angle... Meh.

For now a 1957 Ford Shop Manual would be good to get up to speed on, and a few other general maintenance manuals from the time period. Familiarization, etc, it pays to do this.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 PM
truckin457s
New User
cool truck I like it, that engine bay looks totally original right down to correct engine color!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Yeah noticed that too - yellow intake manifold. Maybe the engine has never been apart. It (engine bay) could stand a little freshening maybe, but as far as the rest of the truck, I kinda like original paint on these trucks and even a few dents, if not too bad. Jus Sayin'. Nobody could duplicate that sky blue, either, not without a small fortune, so why bother? Old Paint.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Sir.Dino
New User
Yes, it's a 12 volt system. No worries there.

If it were me, I'd keep the in-cab fuel tank. Reproduction tanks are available for about $250 that are good quality and drop right in. They pretty much all come from one overseas manufacturer - bought mine from Bob Drake, but many vendors sell the same thing. There is no legroom gained by moving it elsewhere and the safety angle... Meh.

For now a 1957 Ford Shop Manual would be good to get up to speed on, and a few other general maintenance manuals from the time period. Familiarization, etc, it pays to do this.
Nice to know, I'll check them out. I have a '58 shop manual, which I know has some similar information in it, so I've been slowly figuring out how most of the parts work from that.

Also, after going through the truck again, I found the radiator cap which is one less thing I need to spend money on. I also found out that I have a second gas cap, another set of window cranks, and a brand spanking new slip yoke and clutch bearings which my grandfather forgot he had...

What I desperately need though, is the bottom bell cover plate on my tranny. As, when the clutch blew on my grandfather, it tore a hole through the original one. That's the reason why the engine has never been pulled apart. He never found a replacement, so the engine was never ran.