1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Beware Of Craigslist Flakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:55 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Beware Of Craigslist Flakes

Here's some pictures of some funny and desperate attempts to scam on Craigslist.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That would be like $1000 in shipping.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:49 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I'd love to see the look on their face if I brought that engine block in by hand and threw it up on the scale on the counter.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm missing it, How were they trying to scam ya?
But shipping a 390 and heads would be pricey, I agree with ya there.
But I also agree there's a bunch of wackjobs on CL, the ones that tick me off (in no particular order lol);

-the "self-proclaimed" CL police who flag everything (for no reason) or like to tell ya what you can/can't do.

-the "picture-hoarders", they don't post pics in their ads soooo when you ask for some they they act like you're being a HUGE PITA or never send them at all and say something stupid like "...I don't want to send pics to hundreds of people...." (Geee I don't know post them in your ad then?) or send 1 blurry, dark, tiny pic.

-the "non-sellers", they list an item and after you ask a question or 2 then you never hear from them again.

-the "low-ballers", they tell ya your stuff is crap and not worth a cent but then still offer some ridiculous amount. (Well, if it's junk, or worthless why do you want it?)

-the "barret-Jackson pricers" they have a rusted-out, stripped-out, shell of a vehicle and they "...saw 1 sell on barret-Jackson for.." (Insert ludicrous price here), when you try to explain the HUGE difference between the vehicles they think you're lying or trying to rip them off.

- the "NOS parts price-gougers" self explanatory

-the "salvage vehicle/title blue book pricers" they price a salvage titled vehicle $100-$200 less than a clean vehicle and say something silly like "...it was only a scratch..." (Yeah right, the insurance company totaled it because of a little scratch, sure.) or that's its "...fixed as-good-as-new..." (If it's fixed as good as an equal clean vehicle, why is it still a salvage title vehicle?)

-the "shoot-for-the-moon-traders", they list a vehicle worth $2k-$4k and say something like "...will only trade for a 2012 and newer ford f350 crew cab 4x4 powerstroke diesel dually loaded low mileage lifted with extras in great condition PLUS you need to add cash to the 2012 or newer..." (Or something similar).

-the "plus-cash-guys" no matter how good a trade offer is, these d-bags ALWAYS say "..you need to add cash on your end..."

-the "it's super rare guys" or "barn-find-guys" they'll list an undesirable vehicle and say something silly like "...they ONLY made 3,000 of these vehicles this year..." (Yeah 300 COULD be POTENTIALLY rare, MAYBE..." Or they break down a vehicles rarity by stupid, options like "...only 279 were made with body colored seat belts..." To some of these guys a vehicle setting in a junkyard is a "barn-find" lol.

-the "all-the-hard-works-done" or "only-needs-cheap, easy, small-part to run" I've VERY seldom seen a vehicle, where ALL the "hard work" was done OR that actually only needed 1 easy, cheap part (if it's THAT easy OR cheap why haven't they done it?) not to mention just flat-out lying about the condition of a vehicle or part until you get there.

-the "angry guys" I've run into these guys buying and selling, they tend to be just VERY rude or disrespectful or insulting for no apparent reason.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few and I hate the scammers obviously but they're pretty obvious in their attempts most of the time. Also, those damn companies that offer to sell your vehicle for them, I HATE getting called or emailed by those a-holes, I mean, I listed my vehicle on CL! If I wanted help selling it then I'd contact them.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:03 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I'm not so sure they were trying to scam be, but they probably were. I had an Edelbrock 1406 for sale and some Cop from Bend, Oregon wanted me to ship it to him. No thanks! I swear that guy for a while was trying to black mail me in to getting me to ship it to him. I had every flake under the sun ask for that thing. Was ecstatic to see it be sold this morning. Flakeslist.....

Old 10-19-2014, 12:22 AM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
I don't mind shipping SMALL stuff as long as the BUYER pays then shipping AND the funds are here and cleared BEFORE shipping.
But big stuff, it's not worth it when shipping is as much as the asking price.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:40 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
That cop was weird. I said if this were Ebay that would be different. Not over Craigslist. Then he gets all giddy and says he's going to look on Ebay for it. Good luck, because it's not on there! LOL goofballs.....

Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 AM
captain1997
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a ad....LOL Just dont understand people dont they have beeter things to do than scam people?
I also love the craigslist ads that the seller leaves contact info and you try using all their contact info and they never reply but yet they keep the ad up.
And also the sellers that post stuff and never put any contact info...

Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I understand the general complaints, but it's unfair to attribute them exclusively (or mostly, or even marginally) to Craigslist. There is nothing different here than has already been happening in society, you are just seeing it on CL because that's a popular medium these days.

But I guess for people who don't know life before (or without) the Internet, it's a Craigslist thing.

Originally Posted by ZombiePopper
-the "salvage vehicle/title blue book pricers" they price a salvage titled vehicle $100-$200 less than a clean vehicle and say something silly like "...it was only a scratch..." (Yeah right, the insurance company totaled it because of a little scratch, sure.) or that's its "...fixed as-good-as-new..." (If it's fixed as good as an equal clean vehicle, why is it still a salvage title vehicle?)
Why is it I want to call you ZitPopper? Something about that name...

In any event, once you have a salvage title, you always have a salvage title from that point on, at least in Colorado. I went through this with my brother's SHO, and you might be surprised how easy it is for an insurance company to total out a 20 yo car.

I don't understand the problem with shipping a carburetor to a neighboring state and how that's a scam, but, whatever.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:38 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I list stuff on CL. and you get the generic "I am very interested in your"...
I just reply "Cash only sale"
Never hear from them again. If they truly want it they will reply to make arraignments.
as soon as you give them a minor obstacle, you know it's a scammer.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:53 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I don't understand the problem with shipping a carburetor to a neighboring state and how that's a scam, but, whatever.
If I post it on craiglist, it's because I don't want to ship it or deal with shipping.
I think most people who post on craigslist do it for that reason as well.
I see craigslist as a local place to sell/buy. but I guess thats just me.
If I wanted to ship, I wouldn't post it in my cities craigslist only that's for sure.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Mr_KnowNothing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In any event, once you have a salvage title, you always have a salvage title from that point on, at least in Colorado. I went through this with my brother's SHO, and you might be surprised how easy it is for an insurance company to total out a 20 yo car.

There are some states that allow you to be sneaky. When you retitle it in another state, the salvage title gets removed

Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
I understand the general complaints, but it's unfair to attribute them exclusively (or mostly, or even marginally) to Craigslist. There is nothing different here than has already been happening in society, you are just seeing it on CL because that's a popular medium these days.

But I guess for people who don't know life before (or without) the Internet, it's a Craigslist thing.

Why is it I want to call you ZitPopper? Something about that name...

Yeah I'm over 40yo I haven't popped zits in a looong time lol but if I could go back in time.....I use zombie silhouettes on my targets so I ran with it....

I know insurance companies are lazy they'd prefer to total something than put money into a vehicle they deem "...to old..." But KS is the sàme way if it's salvaged it stays salvaged, but I know there's a state or 2 that's different, but a salvage title severely hurts the value of a vehicle and it cracks me up when a guy knocks off $100 dollar bill because of it, heck try to get a loan or full coverage insurance on a salvage vehicle, not gonna happen...

Let's not forget the "...lazy buyers...", you go to the trouble of typing out a long, accurate, descriptive, detailed ad and guys look at 1 pic and contact you asking all the questions you've already answered.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
One thing that really pisses me off a good one is when they don't show up! had some guy coming to buy a Ford 390 crank and the guy had my address and phone number and acted like he was going to show, never did! then he sent me a lame email later that night saying "Oh sorry I didn't show up" Yeah right man kiss off.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:52 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
One thing that really pisses me off a good one is when they don't show up! had some guy coming to buy a Ford 390 crank and the guy had my address and phone number and acted like he was going to show, never did! then he sent me a lame email later that night saying "Oh sorry I didn't show up" Yeah right man kiss off.
It's annoying, they're the "...time wasters...", I've had them even ask me to "hold it for them" heck I've had guys say they're coming to buy something then I don't hear a peep from them for several days-week then out-of-the-blue they contact me and say something like "...when can I come buy X?..." And when I tell them "it's gone." They get all huffy, sorry pal, ya-snooze-ya-lose. I always figure that I'm going to have a few of those when I'm selling somèthing on CL or anywhere else.
But like ctubutis mentioned, Ive ran into that numerous times before CL, although, the pics things (among others) IS a "CL thing" obviously because media sharing wasn't as easy when you were reading the papers classifieds, you had to go physically look at everything and drive a LOT of course gas was cheaper then and our "hobby" (or sickness whichever you prefer) wasn't inundated with tv coverage like it is now that's jacked the prices up on everything....those were the days...

Quick Reply: Beware Of Craigslist Flakes