6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Code P0607 - Across the Pond

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WK57ABF
Hi bubbasz1,

Yes that's our truck at the far left of picture parked next to my buddies King Ranch. He ribs me about my black exhaust tips at 25,000 miles - he has over 80,000 with clean pipes but he drives everywhere at full throttle.

Here's a better picture of us waiting for the ferry to Holland this year.

John
Why are your tailpipes black, do you have a tuner with a DPF delete? IF you are stock you should not have black soot on the tailpipes unless the DPF is cracked or damaged. In stock form these trucks burn very clean providing the system is working correctly.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice picture John, how many full size pick up's are roaming around that side of the pond, I would imagine you'd have to pick your roads carefully as it seems the roads aren't as wide as ours, although for never being there that is all an assumption as what I have seen on TV and the net.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi bubbasz1,

Yes that's our truck at the far left of picture parked next to my buddies King Ranch. He ribs me about my black exhaust tips at 25,000 miles - he has over 80,000 with clean pipes but he drives everywhere at full throttle.

Here's a better picture of us waiting for the ferry to Holland this year.

John
Wow, your buddy's truck looks identical to mine with the exception of the chrome window visors and front license plate!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-19-2014, 03:06 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi SANDDEMON08,

We bought the truck very early in 2007 from Gator Ford, Florida. The truck has been stock from day one. A few months into ownership I noticed the tailpipes black - have cleaned them up a few times but they always come black again. Our compulsory yearly Transport Department vehicle test shows virtually zero emissions. So, just going to live with it.

Some time ago there was a thread on FTE where a guy walked round a parking lot looking at Super Duty tailpipes and he reported seeing over half the trucks he looked at had black tailpipes.

Unfortunately when anything goes wrong with our trucks over here we are on our own and have to fix them ourselves. No warranty outside of North America, therefore, FTE is a lifeline.

I even had to import a new set of tyres from America. Cannot get tyres for 18" rims in the UK.

John

Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 04:17 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Hi bubbasz1,

This is a mile off topic but what the hell, I have to respond - it's good to talk.

The UK has always had a fair number of full size trucks owned by enthusiasts.
A lot are left here by servicemen when they return home from your bases in the UK and others are imported.

The majority of imports are 1500 Dodges cause they work out cheaper than other makes.

Americana in general is big in the UK with various big shows of trucks, cars, music, motorcycles, etc.

My interest in all things American started in the 50's when my Dad used to buy me "Popular Mechanics", so I was brought up with :

La France Fire Engines
Cris Craft
Cessna airplanes
Alco locomotives
70's sedans (my favourite)

and how I would love to hold a finely engraved 357.

Narrow British roads are a myth - yes, we have narrow backroads as you but we have some good major highways, a bit overcrowded but we are a small country.

John

Old 10-19-2014, 05:01 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi bubbasz1,

This is a mile off topic but what the hell, I have to respond - it's good to talk.

The UK has always had a fair number of full size trucks owned by enthusiasts.
A lot are left here by servicemen when they return home from your bases in the UK and others are imported.

The majority of imports are 1500 Dodges cause they work out cheaper than other makes.

Americana in general is big in the UK with various big shows of trucks, cars, music, motorcycles, etc.

My interest in all things American started in the 50's when my Dad used to buy me "Popular Mechanics", so I was brought up with :

La France Fire Engines
Cris Craft
Cessna airplanes
Alco locomotives
70's sedans (my favourite)

and how I would love to hold a finely engraved 357.

Narrow British roads are a myth - yes, we have narrow backroads as you but we have some good major highways, a bit overcrowded but we are a small country.

John
Hey John, very interesting indeed, I had a toolmaker from Britain working for us for quite a few years, ended going back home and took his Harley with him, I guess we do the same thing with items from the UK.
If you ever get back over to the US drop by Michigan and you can shoot my 686(stainless 357) just not engraved.
Keep in touch, PM me any time you feel the need.
Jeff

PS, I loved popular mechanics magazine from the old days, good stuff.
No 70 sedans though, I have a couple 65"s.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:34 AM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Update :

I fitted two new ACDelco 65PG batteries (couldn't find supplier of Motorcraft Group 65 in the UK) last night but didn't run the truck cause we had the tail end of hurricane Gonzalo that you sent over.

Fired her up this morning. No check engine light and no codes. Test run for half an hour - stop/start and still no light or codes.

Thank you all very much for your help - much appreciated.

John

Old 10-24-2014, 01:42 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Update :

I fitted two new ACDelco 65PG batteries (couldn't find supplier of Motorcraft Group 65 in the UK) last night but didn't run the truck cause we had the tail end of hurricane Gonzalo that you sent over.

Fired her up this morning. No check engine light and no codes. Test run for half an hour - stop/start and still no light or codes.

Thank you all very much for your help - much appreciated.

John
Glad to hear you got it fixed

Old 10-27-2014, 11:31 AM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Hi again,

After clearing the check engine light and P0607 by fitting new batteries, a few days on and I've got the light back and code P0607.

Out of five starts on a 125 mile trip last Sunday, the light and code came on three times.

Any ideas what I can check now? Would it be worth trying to find a service station that can perform a diagnostic check?

Incidentally, the truck runs great.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Old 10-28-2014, 09:51 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Hi again,

After clearing the check engine light and P0607 by fitting new batteries, a few days on and I've got the light back and code P0607.

Out of five starts on a 125 mile trip last Sunday, the light and code came on three times.

Any ideas what I can check now? Would it be worth trying to find a service station that can perform a diagnostic check?

Incidentally, the truck runs great.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
Damn I thought we had this one figured out.

Did you happen to check the battery voltage again. If the battery's are going down then there could be an issue with the charging system that would need to be checked. Outside that you may need to take it to a dealer , unless the shop you are thinking about has the proper ford IDS And vcm to preform a proper diagnostics.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:42 AM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Hi SANDDEMON08,

Thank you for coming back.

Although the batteries were low on voltage 12.56 when delivered they soon charged up last Sunday with a good run and have since maintained a very healthy voltage while sitting. I am monitoring them closely.

I have checked the through connector that you mentioned in an earlier post. It appears sound and clipped securely. Although I haven't checked the connections to the PCM - not sure where it is inside the truck.

I have found a Ford dealer (80 miles away) that has the very latest integrated diagnostic system. We are scheduled to travel to a campground nearby and will be taking the truck in next week.

I asked if it was safe to drive the truck 80 miles. His reply was "if the check engine light is steady (minor fault) it's safe to drive and if the check engine light is flashing (serious fault) don't drive the truck". Does this sound correct to you?

John

Old 11-02-2014, 07:23 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Hi SANDDEMON08,

I asked if it was safe to drive the truck 80 miles. His reply was "if the check engine light is steady (minor fault) it's safe to drive and if the check engine light is flashing (serious fault) don't drive the truck". Does this sound correct to you?

John
Yes if the light CEL is flashing you shouldn't drive it tell it is checked out, steady you should be fine at get it checked out asap.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:49 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Update.

Took the truck into Ford dealership today. Results of diagnostic check :

U137-60-PCM (Lost communication with trailer brake controller module)

P0607-FF-TCM (Control Module Performance).

No faults found. Advise - overnight charge of both batteries and the check engine light will go off in time.

I am aware of the trailer brake controller issue cause I have unplugged the Ford in-cab controller and plugged in a Tekonsha P3 which is compatible with our electrical over hydraulic brakes on our travel trailer.

Regarding the P0607 code they said that they come across the check engine light quite often after a battery disconnect or depleted batteries. I cannot say that I am happy with the outcome cause the check engine light is still on, so will probably seek out an independent for a second opinion/test.

John

Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 AM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Latest update.

After returning to our home town, took the truck to a local independent repair shop. After the usual diagnostic tests and a reflash, both failed to clear the code. A PCM was ordered - waiting weeks for this to arrive, it also failed to clear the CEL.

A new transmission control module was ordered and took five weeks to arrive in the UK, then got lost!! After receiving a refund, the repair shop ordered a second TCM. When this was fitted it extinguished the CEL and, after road tests and numerous ignition cycles, all is fine.

Relieved to close the gate on this one - it's been a long haul.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread.

John in the UK

Old 08-30-2020, 11:11 PM
bstanz1
New User
Thank you John for completing your post.
I have the same P0607 code on a 2008 w/ 6.4L Powerstroke but the issue is more serious, probably progressed further.
I have noticed the Transmission Range Indicator (PRND321) intermittently flashing and sometimes out completely. (The rest of the instrument cluster is stable)
When its out, the truck shuts off, like I turned the key to accessory.
I have the P0607 every time the light flickers (and truck misfires)
I have had the U0101 (lost communication with TCM) a couple of times.
I have chased grounds, cleaned all related connections and monitored my voltage.
Eachj time I cleaned a major connector or added a ground it seemed better, only to come back again shortly.
I am about to remove my TCM again and send it to a refurbisher.
But first I wanted to ask if your Transmission Range Indicator (PRND321) had been flickering or out during your difficulties.

PS: Your connections to your PCM are on the firewall directly behind your air filter box