6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My new 2015 super duty first impression

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 94ruck
5300 miles on it today. Been to Missouri once, Arkansas pulling the trailer, Oklahoma twice pulling the trailer and commuting 60 miles round trip to work.
I have noticed the motor is breaking in and making a little more noise but still very quiet.
Fuel mileage commuting in traffic is around 16...but stop and go drops it quick.
Making another Missouri trip over Christmas so we will get another chance to check mpg on the road with the motor broken in.
The Phone only gave me trouble once and I simply re sync'd it. The voice commands work great. I have used both sync and line in capabilities to play ipods and mp3 players.
No complaints at all. love the long bed, like the ability to fold up the rear seats and utilize the space. I did put in 2.5 gallons of smurf pee but didn't have a notice. I did not want to get surprised on the road.
I have hauled and pulled almost every weekend. I need to slow down when pulling my camper as i ruined my wheel bearings on the front right coming back from arkansas at 80 plus!
nice aren't they!?..
> I need to slow down when pulling my camper as i ruined my wheel bearings on the front right coming back from arkansas at 80 plus!

please be careful.. trailer tires are 65 or 75mph rated..

Old 01-01-2015, 06:35 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
update

Ok, a little more than 2 months in on the new 15 superduty. 6800 miles and I am hoping to slow down a little bit but much traveling in the fall for us as usual. Just made another trip to Missouri against a mild headwind and ran about 75 no trailer or load but 4 people and luggage. We got about 17.5 mpg on the ride up. The wind was nil on the trip back and we were cruising about mid to high 70s and getting 19.9 mpg...then as we crossed into north Texas, the truck went into regen, the first one that I physically witnessed at 6700 mile and it lasted for more the 10 minutes and ran the mpg down to 18.5...still had a half a tank so we began improving as the regen ended.
The ride is still rough, the road is terrible around Edmund OK and the truck is a rough ride through there for sure. The headlights...well, i have been reading about the complaints and I had brushed those off but when you are in the dark in the middle of nowhere and the weather is poor, these lights truly are not good.
However, those are the only complaints.. The truck started easily in the semi cold weather, the cab is comfortable for all passengers, the wind doesn't affect the handling, the truck drives straight, the interior is quiet. I had both of my adult children and our schnauzer on the trip and all were pleased with the level of comfort on the so called fleet truck. we enjoyed the ipod and mp3 player a lot. I did TINT the windows and I am looking at Fender flairs to bling it up a little more.
In summary, I am happy with the price, quality and experience with the dealer. I want to improve the lighting and the ride. Still in the air about the fuel econmy as it is better than my 6.0 but worse the the 7.3 so far...

Old 01-02-2015, 06:25 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As compared to the performance of my 2015 in my sig, your mpg is very close to what I experience. I'd hesitate to say that you'll do any better.

I just went past 7500 miles on mine, got the oil change required light and changed the oil. It now has rotella T-6 5w-40 in it and so far my mpg has remained the same. I'm hoping to gain 1 mpg in the next week or two with the new oil but I dunno if it will happen. Especially with the winter diesel blends.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, a little more than 2 months in on the new 15 superduty. 6800 miles and I am hoping to slow down a little bit but much traveling in the fall for us as usual. Just made another trip to Missouri against a mild headwind and ran about 75 no trailer or load but 4 people and luggage. We got about 17.5 mpg on the ride up. The wind was nil on the trip back and we were cruising about mid to high 70s and getting 19.9 mpg...then as we crossed into north Texas, the truck went into regen, the first one that I physically witnessed at 6700 mile and it lasted for more the 10 minutes and ran the mpg down to 18.5...still had a half a tank so we began improving as the regen ended.
The ride is still rough, the road is terrible around Edmund OK and the truck is a rough ride through there for sure. The headlights...well, i have been reading about the complaints and I had brushed those off but when you are in the dark in the middle of nowhere and the weather is poor, these lights truly are not good.
However, those are the only complaints.. The truck started easily in the semi cold weather, the cab is comfortable for all passengers, the wind doesn't affect the handling, the truck drives straight, the interior is quiet. I had both of my adult children and our schnauzer on the trip and all were pleased with the level of comfort on the so called fleet truck. we enjoyed the ipod and mp3 player a lot. I did TINT the windows and I am looking at Fender flairs to bling it up a little more.
In summary, I am happy with the price, quality and experience with the dealer. I want to improve the lighting and the ride. Still in the air about the fuel econmy as it is better than my 6.0 but worse the the 7.3 so far...
I changed the bulbs and they are much better. Also, I am not a fan of the OEM FX4 shocks. I have taken them off after only 2000 miles and it takes minutes for them to fully extend. I put Bilsteins on mine and it makes a world of difference. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by gwcon
I changed the bulbs and they are much better. Also, I am not a fan of the OEM FX4 shocks. I have taken them off after only 2000 miles and it takes minutes for them to fully extend. I put Bilsteins on mine and it makes a world of difference. Just my 2 cents.
what bulbs did u use?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:34 AM
OutlawII
Junior User
I just put a set of phillips extreme vision in mine they seem brighter,have not had a night time road trip with them yet but we will see.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:14 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sdetweil
what bulbs did u use?

I installed Phillips Extreme Vision. The only downside is getting flashed for people thinking I have my brights on.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:54 AM
OutlawII
Junior User
Originally Posted by gwcon
I installed Phillips Extreme Vision. The only downside is getting flashed for people thinking I have my brights on.
Good pick on bulbs! Did u adjust the height of them at all? Haven't drove mine at night yet hopefully i have good results with mine also.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:14 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OutlawII
Good pick on bulbs! Did u adjust the height of them at all? Haven't drove mine at night yet hopefully i have good results with mine also.
I like them. Seem much brighter and clearer. I have not adjusted the lights. Have not really thought about it. Might be something to consider however, I don't want to lose any range.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a nice truck. I'm a base model guy myself(although I wouldn't turn down a new KR if I could justify it, lol).

I like what you did with the wheels, and I think the fender flares will tie it up nicely.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gwcon, gorgeous KR! I'm going to try those bulbs myself. The stock are horrible. Can't believe they haven't changed since the 2011's.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM
OutlawII
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sgt93
Gwcon, gorgeous KR! I'm going to try those bulbs myself. The stock are horrible. Can't believe they haven't changed since the 2011's.
The more i read its gonna be an issue until they switch to something besides H13 bulbs.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:42 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
I was going to adjust my headlights up just a tad but i think i am going to change the bulbs as well. Thanks for all of the feedback as that was the intent when i started this thread. I had read an earlier post about the truck being loaded and the rear settling with a trailer. I pull my trailer alot and hadn't noticed a difference but haven't been out in the gloomy parts too much in the dark with the trailer. I am thinking about adding some driving lights as well. I wanted to play with the upfitter switches and that may be project one with those. Shocks...I know i have leaf springs which i prefer under load which does negate the ride. The long bed seems to amplify it some as my 05 was a short bed 250 and didnt seem to be quite as rough. By far, i love the power and smoothness of power compared to fords other super duty diesels. Need more input on shocks. Bilstiens seem to be the ticket but i would like to ride in a truck equipped with them first...lol

Old 01-04-2015, 04:01 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
OK, i adjusted my lights up a tad and ready to check this evening for a little more forward light. so while playing around, i checked the truck for the auxiliary wires from the upfitter switches in case i do want to add additional lighting for working at night. I used the owners manual to attempt to locate the wires. OK, after an hour of lying on my back looking up under the glove box, removing the kick panel, etc per the manual, I checked this site for info, went right out and found the interior wires right at the parking brake, all wires blunt cut as described. I made attempts to loacte the engine compartment wires but looks like i need to pull the wheel well liner. After a little research on fte, it seems the owners manual has been wrong for years? I am having difficulty buying that but if so, someone needs to be making some editting to that manual and sending the owners some info! I am not nit picky but I rely on the manual for many things and with the complexity of vehicles these days, it would be nie to be able to trust the info provided. With that said, does anyone have a precise location for the underhood wires. It looks like they come out behind and slightly under the fusebox on the drives side under the master cylinder but i have been unable to locate with the whee well in place. Cold outside today so probably not gonna tackle the wheel well yet but want to be ready.
After traveling over the holidays, i have to say it was nice to get in and wipe down the interior and the truck looks brand new. No carpet to vacuum, dusted off my old used floor maps and wiped everything down with a damp cloth, washed the windows( my little window licker even got the windshield? but my wife loves her dog).
Can't wait to get the wheel well extensions....

Old 01-04-2015, 04:27 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

OK, i adjusted my lights up a tad and ready to check this evening for a little more forward light. so while playing around, i checked the truck for the auxiliary wires from the upfitter switches in case i do want to add additional lighting for working at night. I used the owners manual to attempt to locate the wires. OK, after an hour of lying on my back looking up under the glove box, removing the kick panel, etc per the manual, I checked this site for info, went right out and found the interior wires right at the parking brake, all wires blunt cut as described. I made attempts to loacte the engine compartment wires but looks like i need to pull the wheel well liner. After a little research on fte, it seems the owners manual has been wrong for years? I am having difficulty buying that but if so, someone needs to be making some editting to that manual and sending the owners some info! I am not nit picky but I rely on the manual for many things and with the complexity of vehicles these days, it would be nie to be able to trust the info provided. With that said, does anyone have a precise location for the underhood wires. It looks like they come out behind and slightly under the fusebox on the drives side under the master cylinder but i have been unable to locate with the whee well in place. Cold outside today so probably not gonna tackle the wheel well yet but want to be ready.
After traveling over the holidays, i have to say it was nice to get in and wipe down the interior and the truck looks brand new. No carpet to vacuum, dusted off my old used floor maps and wiped everything down with a damp cloth, washed the windows( my little window licker even got the windshield? but my wife loves her dog).
Can't wait to get the wheel well extensions....
For the underhood end of the passthru, right behind the fuse box, there is a harness about 1/2 inch thick. About 3 inches below the fuse box, taped to the harness are the 4 wires, folded over. You will not see them.

Quick Reply: My new 2015 super duty first impression