6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF Delete question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:53 PM
aphotic26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF Delete question

2008 F250 6.4 4x4 CC 203,000 KM

Long story short I get frequent regens Ford can't do anything for me so DPF delete it is. I've come across a DPF kit at gear boxz and I was wondering if anyone could put some input on this product or recommend something else. I am not looking for tuned performance just get rid of the regens. ANY input what so ever would be much appreciated.

Here is this product I am looking at:

(GBZ-FEK40-AFE) - DPF-R Ford 4.0 Plus Programmer with aFe DPF Delete Race Exhaust

Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 PM
99expyTN
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the Tachyon plus tuner installed on my truck for a couple of months. Here is a link to my writeup.

Removal and installation of the pipes was pretty straight forward. Using the tuner was exactly as described....plug it in to the OBDII port and follow the voice prompts. I installed the tune once and put the tuner in my glovebox. I'm running the stock tune and it works as advertised. I might have gained 1 or 2 miles per gallon, but I'm not sure because I've only ran a couple of tanks through the truck. The truck does sound like a hair dryer.

I bought it off ebay from Dales Superstore.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:50 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by aphotic26

Long story short I get frequent regens Ford can't do anything for me so DPF delete it is. I've come across a DPF kit at gear boxz and I was wondering if anyone could put some input on this product or recommend something else. I am not looking for tuned performance just get rid of the regens. ANY input what so ever would be much appreciated.

(GBZ-FEK40-AFE) - DPF-R Ford 4.0 Plus Programmer with aFe DPF Delete Race Exhaust

For what you are trying to accomplish that is about the best route. I have a Spartan tuner on mine and I am very happen. There kit is a little pricy to just run a DPF delete tune, but with there tuner you could also run a EGR delete kit (not just a block off)with a stock tune if you wanted to. You could eliminate both EGR coolers and the EGR valve with there tuning. Just another option to maybe consider. There are some others that offer this but you will want to make sure cruise control, traction control and some of the other features are not lost in the process.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of people run that tuner and like it, with no problems, all I can say is don;t get that pipe, get the one that deletes the cat also, hooks up to the downpipe, and then the muffler, way easier!!!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the Gear Box Z DPF-R+ with the 70hp tune with an MBRP delete pipe with bungs (DPF & DOC) and couldn't be happier. I got the pipe with bungs so I could put the sensors back in the pipe even though it's only necessary to plug them in. The price was only $30 more for bungs. It looks better that way. And I also bought new sensors from the dealer and installed. I left the original sensors in the stock pipes in case I ever need to put things back to stock. I picked up 1-2 mpg towing and 3-4 mpg highway. No problems in the year and a half I've had it. And no more Re-Gens.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:35 PM
aphotic26
Senior User
Thanks guy for all the info I am very thankful.
What is this real difference between these two kits?
http://www.gearboxz.com/shop/product...-race-exhaust/
(GBZ-FEK40-AFE2) - DPF-R Ford 4.0 Plus Programmer with aFe CAT/DPF Delete Race Exhaust

Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
The Gearbox Z DPF-R only deletes the re-generation and shuts down the EGR. The DPF-R Plus does that and also includes a 70hp boost. The DPF-R Plus will give you better fuel mileage than the regular DPF-R will. It actually flashes the PCM to increase power and fuel mileage. The DPF-R leaves all tuning stock. It only shuts down EGR function and eliminates re-generations or DPF cleaning cycles.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:32 PM
aphotic26
Senior User
Great thanks a lot. I'm placing my order now.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Great thanks a lot. I'm placing my order now.
Your super duty thanks you

Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 PM
deerefarmer2
New User
I put this delete kit on my truck a few months ago and LOVE IT!!! My mileage went from 11.2 to 17.3, that was with just the DPF delete, no cat and that's around town, I've not had it on the interstate yet. It will blow black smoke, it can breathe now, and with the 70HP tune the truck will fly. You'll wish you had done this from the start. I'll tell you this, if you can't get the sensor out of the dpf you can cut the wires down at the sensor, go to radio shack and get a resistor and make a jumper out of it, bend the wires on the resistor in a U shape and butt splice each end to a wire and it will complete the circuit and you won't have to spend money on a new sensor, if you don't do this the truck will just idle high. Call the tech guy at gearboxz and ask him the size resistor you need, I don't remember the ohm rating that it takes but he can tell you. Your tranny might shift funny after putting this on but he can also tell you how to re program it or do like I did, drive it easy and after awhile the tranny will learn the new program and shift fine. When you load the program in you'll see a bunch of error messages and lights, this is normal so don't be alarmed, just follow the directions and you'll be fine. With the increased horsepower your 6.4 will take off and run as well as the 6.7L!! Good luck with it and if you need any help please let me know.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deerefarmer2
I put this delete kit on my truck a few months ago and LOVE IT!!! My mileage went from 11.2 to 17.3, that was with just the DPF delete, no cat and that's around town, I've not had it on the interstate yet. It will blow black smoke, it can breathe now, and with the 70HP tune the truck will fly. You'll wish you had done this from the start. I'll tell you this, if you can't get the sensor out of the dpf you can cut the wires down at the sensor, go to radio shack and get a resistor and make a jumper out of it, bend the wires on the resistor in a U shape and butt splice each end to a wire and it will complete the circuit and you won't have to spend money on a new sensor, if you don't do this the truck will just idle high. Call the tech guy at gearboxz and ask him the size resistor you need, I don't remember the ohm rating that it takes but he can tell you. Your tranny might shift funny after putting this on but he can also tell you how to re program it or do like I did, drive it easy and after awhile the tranny will learn the new program and shift fine. When you load the program in you'll see a bunch of error messages and lights, this is normal so don't be alarmed, just follow the directions and you'll be fine. With the increased horsepower your 6.4 will take off and run as well as the 6.7L!! Good luck with it and if you need any help please let me know.

Everything he says ^^^^^ is great except the part about gaining over 6 mpg's a tank... that's not going to happen... quite a few threads and myself included... the best you will see is 1-3 mpg's by deleting!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM
aphotic26
Senior User
Thanks for the post guys - I'm in Ontario so won't see it for 3 weeks I guess.
Ill post a pic when I'm done of my set up.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I gained 1-2 mpg towing and 3-3.5mpg highway once deleted. I only saw 2 mpg highway improvement on first tank. It improved as the PCM relearned everything. Within 3 tanks I was at 19-19.5 mpg highway consistently. That's US figures. In Canada that would equate 12.4L/100km to 12.L/100km highway. I don't really think there will be much improvement in city mpg as it takes a lot of energy to get an 8000 lb. truck moving. Most of my driving is highway, mixed, or towing. So I don't have any numbers for city mpg.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 PM
deerefarmer2
New User
I hate to tell ya but it did happen, I did good to get 11 mpg with the dpf and now it ranges from 16.8 to 17.3, don't know how but I've did the math after a fill up and its dead on. I can post a picture of the dash if you want. It will be interesting to see what aphotic26 gets. Please let us know.

Aphotic26, did you get the cat delete as well?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
x2 on the results thatAphotic26 gets. I'd like to know as well. I believe you, deerefarmer. Is that city, highway, or mixed driving? I was averaging in the high 15mpg range highway pre-deletes.

Quick Reply: DPF Delete question