1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Just purchased a 67' F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Just purchased a 67' F100

Just purchased my first old(er) Ford. Been doing a lot of research on these trucks and have been interested in buying one for quite some time now. For the most part this is going to end up being my daily driver once I finish doing some more work on the truck. Second vehicle I have ever owned, (only 18 so haven't had a chance to own many vehicles).

Either way, here is some more info on the truck.
1967 Ford F100 4x4
Exact mileage is unknown.
Has been lifted 6 inches
Has 35 inch tires
Has a winch
Motor is a 352
4-on-the-floor
Body is very straight

Truck is currently running very well but I will be doing a full tune up and rebuilding the carb later today or tomorrow.

Picked the truck up for $1,000 which was a good deal in my eyes.

I will keep thew thread updated on the trucks status and will probably be asking many questions about the truck here on these forums as I still have a lot to learn.

More photos coming soon.

1967 Ford F100

Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM
rews2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. A lot of good people and advice here and I'm continually amazed at the number of youngbloods carrying on the torch of old steel. I like the combo hilift jack and compressor rack.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Look pretty straight. also looks like someone stripped the paint and didn't you a sealing primer on it. And now starting to become a rust bucket.
But hey it all looks workable take your time check all your drive line fluid levels and best to drain and refill with correct oils.

A lot of these trucks get sold as needing just the carb rebuilt. But really need the heads rebuilt with harden exh seats.

So you should first do a compression test so you what your dealing with if your carb rebuilt don't do any improvements.

orich

Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like a good deal and a good starting point. Shiny paint is nice but you don't have to wash and wax crummy paint.

Don't forget to take a good look at all the lubrication points, like wheel bearings, tranny and differential fluids.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Mister_King
Tuned
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Going to be doing the full tune-up later today and that will include carb rebuild, checking all fluids, etc. Will be removing the compressor and such in the bed as I more than likely won't be finding a use for it. (Truck was used to help cars broken down and such.) Owned by a tire shop who are family. A lot of work on the truck going to be done as I don't start classes for another 2-months. Who knows, maybe even a new paint job. I am more about performance than I am looks, but for the price I picked this up I may have enough money to look into something reasonable.

If you have any more suggestions or questions, feel free to let me know.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:04 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet purchase I like the 4x4's you got a good deal from the way it looks. Also I like the compressor in the bed but it does take up a lot of space. I'll be mounting air tanks under my bed somewhere on my 4x4 for airing up tires or running air tools. Always needed on the trails. Looking forward to your progress.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Looks like a good deal and a good starting point. Shiny paint is nice but you don't have to wash and wax crummy paint.
.. or be overly concerned when branches reach out and touch ya while on the trail.

Originally Posted by Mister_King
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Going to be doing the full tune-up later today and that will include carb rebuild, checking all fluids, etc. Will be removing the compressor and such in the bed as I more than likely won't be finding a use for it. (Truck was used to help cars broken down and such.) Owned by a tire shop who are family. A lot of work on the truck going to be done as I don't start classes for another 2-months. Who knows, maybe even a new paint job. I am more about performance than I am looks, but for the price I picked this up I may have enough money to look into something reasonable.

If you have any more suggestions or questions, feel free to let me know.
First sand and shoot it with Rustoleum's primer sealer in a rattle can. Then go camo (four color) as a low-buck temporary paint job. Click on the 73 in my signature.

Congrats.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Mister_King
Tuned
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
.. or be overly concerned when branches reach out and touch ya while on the trail.

First sand and shoot it with Rustoleum's primer sealer in a rattle can. Then go camo (four color) as a low-buck temporary paint job. Click on the 73 in my signature.

Congrats.
Love the look of your 73. How exactly did you go about that design? Just eye ball it or did you have something to go off of? Roughly how many cans did it take you to do the whole truck?

I am buying a new hood within the next few days and its a completely different color than rest of my truck. Once I get the new hood on there just gonna get a buddy of mine to help me sand away. Clean it up with some mineral spirits then just go at it with some of the primer you recommended.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:38 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Mister_King, Welcome to and the Bumpside Forum.

Nice rig, the ol compressor is worth a couple three hundred bucks by itself. Hope to see ya around as you progress.

John

Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Yay, another guy from my generation joins the ranks. I'm your age, and another user 351clevelandC4 is I believe a year older. Don't worry about your age. Show respect and you'll get it back.

I like the truck a lot. Seems like it will treat you well. Except for the paint. You'll have to do something about that if you want it to last you a long time. Spray paint is all it takes. You've already seen HIO's truck. Ask if you ever need help.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:52 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister_King
Love the look of your 73. How exactly did you go about that design? Just eye ball it or did you have something to go off of? Roughly how many cans did it take you to do the whole truck?

I am buying a new hood within the next few days and its a completely different color than rest of my truck. Once I get the new hood on there just gonna get a buddy of mine to help me sand away. Clean it up with some mineral spirits then just go at it with some of the primer you recommended.
Thanks. I found a DoD camo painting online and the went to the regional park to observe shades n shadows. Think of the pattern, or the lack of a pattern, as a blurry picture of the woodlands. Camo is intended to break up body lines so it should wrap corners and such. Also, avoid spraying only with your favored hand because you'll have a tendency to shoot an arc'ed pattern.

It took about four cans of each color.... about $100.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Thanks. I found a DoD camo painting online and the went to the regional park to observe shades n shadows. Think of the pattern, or the lack of a pattern, as a blurry picture of the woodlands. Camo is intended to break up body lines so it should wrap corners and such. Also, avoid spraying only with your favored hand because you'll have a tendency to shoot an arc'ed pattern.

It took about four cans of each color.... about $100.
Fun fact. American woodland camouflage is actually counter effective as it is the most universally recognized pattern in the world.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
Yay, another guy from my generation joins the ranks. I'm your age, and another user 351clevelandC4 is I believe a year older. Don't worry about your age. Show respect and you'll get it back. I like the truck a lot. Seems like it will treat you well. Except for the paint. You'll have to do something about that if you want it to last you a long time. Spray paint is all it takes. You've already seen HIO's truck. Ask if you ever need help. Welcome to FTE.
Yea, that's right. This makes 3 of us! Curly, moe and Larry. Haha

Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Mister_King
Tuned
Appreciate all the feedback so far. Today is the day I finish clearing the title and start the tune-up / carb rebuild / fluids / etc. This time I'll be sure to get some more photos of the truck and add them to the thread. I will keep you all updated on the progress of the truck. Hoping to get a majority if not all the work on the truck done within the next 60-days. (Beginning of next semester will take all my time.) Was looking into some front disc conversion kits but they are roughly $600 brand new. A bit too high for me as it is nothing more than a luxury item. Maybe I will start looking into something used along the way, I am sure there are some pick-a-part trips coming in the future so I will keep an eye open.

As for the paint, I am still debating whether or not I will be going with the camo look. I think it looks great, but I am a bit concerned that I won't be able to recreate that design the way I would like. I more than likely will end up going with a solid flat color.

Who knows, things change. Like I said, I will keep everyone updated. Expect some pictures later today.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:40 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Aw yes make a few runs to the Junk yards makes it cheaper to upgrade your ride.

One ez starting is power drum brakes. Get the booster & master and just get a rebuilt M/Cyl. or new one. You can try the booster as is or use it as a trade in core on a rebuilt one.
This is a great improvement over standard brakes even.

I did this first on my drum brakes and is was about 50-60% improvement.

A few yrs later, I came across a 1976 3500HD Dana front axle with disc brakes.

That, I had to completely rebuild it as well as the one I remove.

The only reason, I upgraded was mainly to hard finding new inner axles for the close knuckle type.

There's is a lots of aftermarket stuff for the 1976-1977.5 8 lugs axles
orich

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 67' F100