Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Truck went out and made its maiden voyage.

Couple issues with the airbags. One problem is a small leak somewhere. Pumped up to 60psi it will drop to 40psi after about an hour. Will have to search with the spray bottle.
Second issue is the airbags bottom out before the bumpstops. I thought I measured this right and had it pretty close but I guess not. This also imposes another issue, when I put the truck on the lift the airbags stretch out to the point that I worry they will tear. How do people with airbags put their trucks on a hoist? Or how do shops put vehicles on hoists that have bags?

Other than the bag issues everything else went great from what I hear.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 PM
tonym17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Truck went out and made its maiden voyage.

Couple issues with the airbags. One problem is a small leak somewhere. Pumped up to 60psi it will drop to 40psi after about an hour. Will have to search with the spray bottle.
Second issue is the airbags bottom out before the bumpstops. I thought I measured this right and had it pretty close but I guess not. This also imposes another issue, when I put the truck on the lift the airbags stretch out to the point that I worry they will tear. How do people with airbags put their trucks on a hoist? Or how do shops put vehicles on hoists that have bags?

Other than the bag issues everything else went great from what I hear.
Does it have a goodyear switch???look like this??

Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Not an actual goodyear switch but yes similar setup.

I looked and looked for a leak and couldn't figure anything out. I did notice that with these push lock connectors that if you push on the line by the fittings to the side a bit I could hear an air leak. Almost every fitting did this. So I went around and adjusted the lines to take as much pressure off the fittings as I could but still there is a slow leak.

I did some reading about fix a flat stuff. Some say don't put that crap in the lines and bags, others have and said it worked good. The only problem I can foresee is there might be a bit of a mess by the dump valve from when the goop makes it threw the system and starts to come out the dump valve.

For the record I dislike the push lock fittings. Yes it is fast and easy but at the same time they are unreliable and have questionable sealing.

I also removed the 3/4" riser blocks out from under the bag brackets so they have more travel room. Hope it is enough not to bottom out any more.

When the truck came in I ran over to take a look at it while it had a load on. The bags were pumped up to 40psi but truck still had a bit of sag in it. I asked if he went higher with the pressure ever to see if it helps but he said he never went over 40psi. I told him to try 60 or 80psi next time out.

but the other thing I am worried about is putting the truck on the lift with the bags. Now with the riser blocks out they will have even more travel/stretch and I am worried the bags will tear when the truck is lifted up on the hoist. But these bags are so common now days I wonder what others do or shops that lift all kinds of vehicles all day long. Would the bags be ok all stretched out beyond their normal travel?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with the push-lock fittings. Quick to put together, but not reliable over time in my opinion. Not to mention, if you have to take them apart for something, they don't like to come apart when they get dirt in them.

As for raising the truck on a lift with airbags, I don't have an answer. I, like you, would be concerned about stretching them, especially if they're inflated.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Is there another kind of fitting that can be used with that plastic line?

Maybe I can put some sort of sealant on the line at each fitting and then push it into the fitting to help seal it up? For intercooler couplings that keep blowing off we used to use hair spray to help seal them up and keep them on the pipes.

I thought I read one time about someone having to unbolt the single lower bolt in the airbags in order to put the truck on a lift. That would sure suck at every oil change!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Compression fittings work great on plastic lines.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:36 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I've witnessed a couple air ride suspensions that the guys/gals....will put straps from the upper frame to the lower spring perch bolts to rule out suspending the bags too far.

Dirt cheap.

Good insurance and you can jack/run/highcenter etc... without worries.

Denny

Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THIS THREAD IS POINTLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!!

Lol. Giving you a hard time. You've been doing great, man. Just want to see the truck in it's "on the road flatbed" state!

Old 12-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Yes I know, the truck has only been back here once and I forgot all about taking pics of it. I was all concerned about the air ride.

I will for sure get pics eventually and post them up.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Got a fuel report back just now. 15.3mpg... But I know there is something up, even after driving all day the truck will go into high idle mode every time when parked for a minute.

When it comes in I have to plug into AE and see what the values are. I have a feeling it has a dead oil temp sensor and possibly a plugged up ebps.

On a somewhat funny to me note. After FTE screwed up my "subscribed threads" folder to only show threads that have replies. In order to find this thread I just put "virgin tugly" in the search criteria.

I wish my "subscribed threads" folder was like it was before and showed all my subscribed threads whether they have a reply or not.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About a week ago I had this thread open on my computer I was away from my deck. My wife walks by and asks me what is this "What to do with a virgin !" I'm like what are you talking about she said this on your computer. I told her to read it then she roller her eyes and walked away. I think she thought she caught me with some kind of ****. Sorry I just had to share and thanks for the title.

I'm sure once you run the AE you'll have a better idea but it sounds like you are on the right track.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Got a fuel report back just now. 15.3mpg... But I know there is something up, even after driving all day the truck will go into high idle mode every time when parked for a minute.

When it comes in I have to plug into AE and see what the values are. I have a feeling it has a dead oil temp sensor and possibly a plugged up ebps.

On a somewhat funny to me note. After FTE screwed up my "subscribed threads" folder to only show threads that have replies. In order to find this thread I just put "virgin tugly" in the search criteria.

I wish my "subscribed threads" folder was like it was before and showed all my subscribed threads whether they have a reply or not.
I hear ya on FTE screwing the threads up. I hate that now I don't get threads that my friends even responded to. Why fix something that isn't broke. Just like the govt.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...In order to find this thread I just put "virgin tugly" in the search criteria...
You know... being **** in high school will create that very scenario.

The Parker transportation fittings (for air brakes on trucks) are among the best, we use them for very heavy cycling of pneumatic devices for many years without issue. Are your fittings plastic or metal? A little silicone lube on the tubing can help, it's essential to have a straight/clean cut on the end, and no scratches/mars near the tube ends. Dirt in the lock ring will make a mess out of unlocking.

Compression fittings work great with tubing, but I don't recommend the brass ones for copper tubing. Some form of strain relief is best when using compression fittings. Plastic tubing frequently fails if you use materials and force intended for metal tubing.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
About a week ago I had this thread open on my computer I was away from my deck. My wife walks by and asks me what is this "What to do with a virgin !" I'm like what are you talking about she said this on your computer. I told her to read it then she roller her eyes and walked away. I think she thought she caught me with some kind of ****. Sorry I just had to share and thanks for the title.

I'm sure once you run the AE you'll have a better idea but it sounds like you are on the right track.

hahaha, I can just see the scenario, could have had some fun with that one!

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I hear ya on FTE screwing the threads up. I hate that now I don't get threads that my friends even responded to. Why fix something that isn't broke. Just like the govt.
It used to be the "subscribed threads" folder. Now it says "new subscribed threads". I don't like it at all.

Originally Posted by Tugly
You know... being **** in high school will create that very scenario.

The Parker transportation fittings (for air brakes on trucks) are among the best, we use them for very heavy cycling of pneumatic devices for many years without issue. Are your fittings plastic or metal? A little silicone lube on the tubing can help, it's essential to have a straight/clean cut on the end, and no scratches/mars near the tube ends. Dirt in the lock ring will make a mess out of unlocking.

Compression fittings work great with tubing, but I don't recommend the brass ones for copper tubing. Some form of strain relief is best when using compression fittings. Plastic tubing frequently fails if you use materials and force intended for metal tubing.

The fittings are all stainless much like the first one you posted. I used a razor blade to cut the line which left a perfect cut off end and I did make sure the ends were burr free and nice before pushing each one into the fittings. I hear you on the plastic line and compression fittings. I think I remember seeing compression fittings that used a plastic "wedge/compress" but I thought they were bigger for house plumbing.

I made a 417 mile trip with the truck today. I was impressed how nicely the truck went down the road. I put the bags at 60psi in the driveway before I pulled out and they were at 20psi when I got back.

I had an idea while driving along. My kit came with a shrader valve as well which I did not use because I have the pump. I was thinking of unplugging one bag at a time and use the shrader to inflate one bag at a time to see if the leak is at a bag and which one. Then if not I will know for sure the leak is in the box by the pump in one of the three T fittings, the dump valve, or the pump itself.

To reduce the fittings I also had the thought of making a distribution block for all the lines to plug into instead of a bunch of T's.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Got to drive the truck again today. Took the puter along for the ride to watch over the 7.3 and make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

First thing that happens is the coolant temp shoots up and maxes out at 306f (or 304) and stays there for most of the first part of the 60 mile round trip. Oil temp never goes over 153f. Exhaust back pressure seems to act normal.

Only other obvious thing I notice is Barometer stays near mazed out at 4.90-4.91 volts all the time.

Will post more later when I have time. Christmas parties and stuff to go to.

Quick Reply: What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly