Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My adventure w/ 87 F250 6.9L IDI and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:45 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question My adventure w/ 87 F250 6.9L IDI and questions

Well I have the truck on the road now after chasing a air intrusion problem and upgrading to an electric fuel pump. So I take it for a test drive and the shifting seems off. I pull the TCM and see evidence if trans fluid in the vacuum line. I replace the TCM shifting is still not quite right. So question #1 can you adjust when the TCM shifts? well after I replace the TCM I go to start the truck......no start, cranks good but no start. I start to think I have another air intrusion issue when it hits me, I pulled the vacuum tube off the TCM, There's not enough vacuum build up....OK so some cranking later truck fires up no problem....whew I really need this truck tomorrow. so I now have a truck that is running and shifting ok. The next step is to start making the truck more improved, like getting the tach to work again....It stopped working during all the air intrusion crap. so question #2 how do I troubleshoot the tach? I beleive it has to do with the sending unit in the front of the engine.....does anyone know how to work on that or do I hve to replace it? Thanks guys I will update as things progress.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can try wiggling the wires around a bit, but pretty much just have to replace it

Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
I figured the wires would be the only thing I could mess with.....Bummer.

A little more about my diesel. 1987 F250 w/ 6.9L NA super-cab long-bed upgraded with an electric fuel pump(2 weeks ago) and bypassed fuel/water separator(PO did that), fuel tank switching valve(1 week ago), and fuel return to filter head(1 week ago). new injectors and return lines about 1 yr ago.
C6 trans with a black stripe TCM replaced TCM today.

Any ideas on how to adjust the TCM to change when it shifts?

Old 10-11-2014, 05:04 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
if i tis an adjustable modulator, there is a screw in the vacuum hose nipple. you need a very small thin screwdriver to adjust it.
you can also set shift points by adjusting the VRV on the injector pump.
the VRV can make it shift sooner, or later at full throttle.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:24 AM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Thanks Tom, if I turn thr screw in the nipple for the TCM to the right will that help it to shift sooner? and which way to I adjust the VRV to shift sooner ? Sorry I am new to a lot of this.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
it has been 15 years since i messed with the modulator.
the vrv has a touchy adjustment procedure to get it set properly, but i have found that moving the vacuum hoses towards the firewall lets it shift a bit sooner, rolling the VRV up or towards the radiator will make it shift later.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:56 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
adjusted the modulator still shifting a little late. I will try the VRV possibly on Monday. I found I have a fuel leak so I need to fix it or them......looks like the fuel return line from the injectors to the tank. well at least that is one, I need to check everything though. The truck is drinking fuel. Well back to finding leaks......

Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 AM
RBerry9511
Tuned
OK I am not finding a lot of leaks but I used about 14 gal of diesel in about 80 miles! and I lost a quart of oil......That's less than 6 miles a gallon not including the oil. WTF is the electric fuel pump sucking that much fuel? I was getting 15-17 MPH before I changed things.........Please help and let me know what I can do.......ugh.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 PM
jb10725
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have dual tanks and are you sure it isn't pumping fuel somehow, either directly or through the fuel return system, into the other tank? It's possible.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:50 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Yes I have dual tanks so I guess it is possible but I can't switch tanks due to a bad tank selector valve. I ran a fuel line for the supply straight from the tank to the pump. I guess I should do the same for the return......I hope this works. I am thinking of going back to the mechanical fuel pump....I need to get decent MPH, this is my daily driver. Thanks for the input I will be updating as soon as I can road test it.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:41 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
From which tank are you drawing the supply? Unless you are certain that the selector valve is set to that same tank, you wil be returning fuel to the other tank. In that case, it will of course eventually overflow. This is a conventional return fuel system (whether electric or mechanical), so any work on the supply must also be done on the return, unless you want a nice surprise spill.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:36 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
I am drawing from the front tank which is the only one that was working before I started my adventure. I will be bypassing the return soon. Thanks for all the info.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Fuel pump change and update

OK I got fed up trying to find leaks so I decided to try switching back to a mechanical fuel pump. I removed the Electric fuel pump checked all connections and tested the truck on a short drive(about 20 miles). Fuel usage went down, needle did not move off of full all the way. Yesterday at that same distance it was down 1/8 of a tank.......The e pump I had must have had too high of a flow rate. The trans seems to shift a little better not as hard, not sure if that is related or not just telling you what I am experiencing. So hopefully I will not be going through fuel as fast. So I guess I down graded the fuel pump but my truck seems to like it better. Let me know your thoughts. This is a huge learning experience for me. Thanks for all your help I will update as I make more changes or as I find new issues.....This truly is an adventure, and you are welcome to come along......

Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The capacity of the pump only determines how much fuel is made available to the engine. It has no impact on how much is consumed. Either that pump was leaking, or one of its lines was, or it was letting air in or something. Or, by switching back, you got it to return the unused fuel to the correct tank, which is the only way you can get any kind of meaningful fuel economy estimate. In any event, if it's working, I'd stick with it.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Well I took the truck out for a 100 mile road test, I had a lot of errands to run, and I am up to 10 MPH which is much better.....I still have a leak though. When I drive I can smell raw diesel I am wondering if the return line is leaking at the back of the engine.....Is this a common place for fuel leaks? Has anyone had this problem and are there common places I should check first? WFS has been bypassed already o rings and return lines have been done.....She drives but I would like to have her running better......also can adjusting the TCM help with late/hard shifting? Any help is appreciated...Thanks

Quick Reply: My adventure w/ 87 F250 6.9L IDI and questions