General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Why the U.S. has no "Autobahn"

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Interesting thread.

Wow I'm mostly agreeing with a cop.

IDK about "driver training" I'm cautious of government limitations on something as vital to practical freedom as a drivers license. However if we had a better driving culture so to speak I think it would do a lot of good, along with a much more practical enforcement and road design. Examples;

Keeping right IMO this used to be much more common, people knew to keep right, those that didn't were treated badly(tailgated and flashed) and learned. However LE and government has made this no longer true. LE doesn't enforce the rule, highway engineers have made left lane exits and entrances, and tailgating and/or flashing the light will get you a HUGE ticket now.

Strict enforcement of arbitrary and low speed limits. As you said they create traffic bundles, these are very dangerous, MUCH more dangerous then going 5 over. A study I read a while back found that those who on average drove 15% over the speed limit were on average the safest drivers. Why it didn't say but I could postulate, they didn't get stuck in those bunches, paid more attention, and didn't stay in the same spot relative to other vehicles(blind spot, right behind following lights) Add in different speed limits for trucks and your really messing things up. Why would anyone stay right when they'd have to change lanes every minute to pass a truck that has a lower speed limit. Of course lower truck limits are dumb to begin with very few drivers on the road are better drivers then professional truck drivers, it's the others that cause accidents as they go around and cut off the trucks that are forced to drive slow.

"a driver would only face penalty for cruising in the 'passing' lane(s) if they were going slower than the speed limit (impeding traffic)." This bothers me, and points out one of the contradictions and hypocrisy in the law and it's enforcement. EVERYONE by law must go slower then the speed limit, but somehow doing it in the left lane is illegal? So your choices in the left lane are speed and get a speeding ticket, or don't and get in impeding ticket?

I don't know what you mean here?

Excuse me WHAT, you're claiming that a highway through downtown LA, a highway through central Nevada, and a windy 2 lane country highway should have the same speed limit? That's just total BS, There are sections of wide open highway in this country where even during the day you may not see another vehicle for hours, and the highway is flat, open, and level where going 80 is perfectly safe. Others where it winds through hills, has blind curves, a lot of traffic, and cross streets where going 55 is downright dangerous. You're saying we should drive the same speed on both?

Let me put out what I would like to see.

A campaign of highway behavior spearheaded by LE, keeping right, not cutting into following distances, merging, etc. It should be a crime to cut off a commercial truck. If we/you enforced laws that actually directly effected driver courtesy and safety instead of arbitrary speed and seatbelt laws then we'd have a safer happier highway.

The elimination of a lower limit for trucks.

The elimination of left lane entrances and exits.

Variable lane differing speed limits. 60 in the right lane, 70 in the second, 80 in the third, etc.

EDIT, ohh yeah on the staying right thing, you may notice that on highways with 3 lanes or more(same direction) few trucks do, many will use the middle lane. This is cause people can't merge. The combination of on ramps and stupid drivers makes the right lane dangerous for trucks.
Go back and re-read my post that you clearly decided to ignore but comment on anyway.

It clearly states, "going from one state to another with no change in terrain or population density". What you extracted from my post was quite foolish.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping right IMO this used to be much more common, people knew to keep right, those that didn't were treated badly(tailgated and flashed) and learned. However LE and government has made this no longer true. LE doesn't enforce the rule, highway engineers have made left lane exits and entrances, and tailgating and/or flashing the light will get you a HUGE ticket now.

More like 'Government' has made this no longer true......LE doesn't make the laws......They only enforce existing laws.

Don't get confused between 'laws' and 'rules'. The 'rule' that most of us recognize (i.e......stay the Hell out of the left hand lane unless you're passing) is NOT a law (unless it happens to be codified as a law in a certain state). It's a 'rule'......a 'gentlemens agreement' if you will. In a state where it's NOT codified as a 'law'.....it is not enforceable by law enforcement.

For instance. Davy Dips--t is cruising in the left-hand lane at the posted speed limit of 55mph. He's bunching up vehicles behind him who are trying to pass....but is he breaking any laws? How could he? The speed limit says 55....and he's going 55.....and the law states that is the MAXIMUM speed limit on that roadway......so how could law enforcement 'enforce' that? Answer. They cannot.

Now if Davy Dips--t was going under the speed limit in the left-hand lane......in a state with, say.....an 'impeding traffic' law.....Yes. His *** could and should be cited.

Strict enforcement of arbitrary and low speed limits. As you said they create traffic bundles, these are very dangerous, MUCH more dangerous then going 5 over. A study I read a while back found that those who on average drove 15% over the speed limit were on average the safest drivers. Why it didn't say but I could postulate, they didn't get stuck in those bunches, paid more attention, and didn't stay in the same spot relative to other vehicles(blind spot, right behind following lights) Add in different speed limits for trucks and your really messing things up. Why would anyone stay right when they'd have to change lanes every minute to pass a truck that has a lower speed limit. Of course lower truck limits are dumb to begin with very few drivers on the road are better drivers then professional truck drivers, it's the others that cause accidents as they go around and cut off the trucks that are forced to drive slow.

I think I read a similar study....and I happen to agree.

Left to their own devices, folks overwhelming end up driving up to their capabilities (not always.....but there you are.....think 'teenagers'.......).

"a driver would only face penalty for cruising in the 'passing' lane(s) if they were going slower than the speed limit (impeding traffic)." This bothers me, and points out one of the contradictions and hypocrisy in the law and it's enforcement. EVERYONE by law must go slower then the speed limit, but somehow doing it in the left lane is illegal? So your choices in the left lane are speed and get a speeding ticket, or don't and get in impeding ticket?

OK. I quoted and answered as I read your post.....I should have waited. But yeah....That's the way it is. I'd prefer a straight-up law that said "Get The Hell Out Of The Passing Lane Unless You Are Passing". Laws which are clear and specific are easier on everyone........and fair.

I don't know what you mean here?

Think about it. Under the 'rules' that we all espouse (i.e......keeping out of the left-hand lane unless passing), that leaves precisely ONE lane to 'cruise' in (i.e.....'travel' lane). And that one, single right-hand 'travel' lane is also accommodating traffic exiting or entering the interstate......not to mention the plain old 'slow' drivers. If you strictly abide the 'rules' (not the 'laws'....the 'rules'.....), you will find yourself spending a LOT of time moving over for the exit/entry traffic.......and passing the slower drivers.

Which of course bungs up the 'passing' lane.

I'm a 'cruiser'.....I prefer to just tool along in one of the center lanes with the tunes playing and let the other idiots fight with each other in the right lane or the passing lane........

So. What I would like to see would be all 3 or 4-lane interstates (in each direction, of course.....)......minimum. Some urban areas temporarily have even more lanes........But the open road should be 6 or 8 lane interstates.....

And I'd LOVE to see all that goddamned gas and diesel tax money go to nothing BUT roads, highways, and interstates..........Without the politicians using a lot of it for crap like trains and trolleys.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:26 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I-285 aka The Perimeter in metro ATL is beginning the use of "live" speed limits posted 65 MPH most of the time but can be modified for high traffic areas and construction.

While travelling today I had 65 MPH on my side, and in the other direction the sign was posted 45 MPH.

I'm not really sure how this will work out.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:35 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems this is a nice vent

Old 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Old 10-13-2014, 01:07 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by slimbo13
I absolutely love it!
I always try and avoid doing unnecessary driving on the 3rd-5th around here due to the gray hairs getting SSI and prescription refills.
And that video explains exactly why!
No offense to any other gray hairs on here. I have my silver showing too

Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
More like 'Government' has made this no longer true......LE doesn't make the laws......They only enforce existing laws.

Don't get confused between 'laws' and 'rules'. The 'rule' that most of us recognize (i.e......stay the Hell out of the left hand lane unless you're passing) is NOT a law (unless it happens to be codified as a law in a certain state). It's a 'rule'......a 'gentlemens agreement' if you will. In a state where it's NOT codified as a 'law'.....it is not enforceable by law enforcement.

For instance. Davy Dips--t is cruising in the left-hand lane at the posted speed limit of 55mph. He's bunching up vehicles behind him who are trying to pass....but is he breaking any laws? How could he? The speed limit says 55....and he's going 55.....and the law states that is the MAXIMUM speed limit on that roadway......so how could law enforcement 'enforce' that? Answer. They cannot.

Now if Davy Dips--t was going under the speed limit in the left-hand lane......in a state with, say.....an 'impeding traffic' law.....Yes. His *** could and should be cited.

OK. I quoted and answered as I read your post.....I should have waited. But yeah....That's the way it is. I'd prefer a straight-up law that said "Get The Hell Out Of The Passing Lane Unless You Are Passing". Laws which are clear and specific are easier on everyone........and fair.
There are many regularly unenforced laws, as well as over enforced non-existent laws.

Maybe I should have said laws not rules, but in a legal context rules are the details of laws not just a "gentlemen's agreement". Laws are created that are then refined by committees who make rules. This doesn't mean the rules don't have the force of law. For example DUI/DWI is a law, but the field sobriety test is governed by rules.

Your Davy Dips--t example appears to be true for NC I found the law and it specifies the speed limit as a primary factor. Here in WA the law uses the speed of traffic flow, not speed limit, so technically in WA going 65 in a 60 in the left lane when you can move right is illegal lane usage as well as speeding of course.

Here's some links to the NC and WA laws as well as a link to a MIT keep right study I found
GS_20-146
RCW 46.61.100: Keep right except when passing, etc.
State "keep right" laws

I think I read a similar study....and I happen to agree.

Left to their own devices, folks overwhelming end up driving up to their capabilities (not always.....but there you are.....think 'teenagers'.......).
Again I agree, three issues here, the arbitrary laws that don't take that into account, the teenagers who really IMO should be given speed to fast for conditions or reckless driving tickets not speed limit violations, and lastly those with very low abilities, (DWO for example), who should be ticketed for impeding so either they improve or loose their license.

FWIW LEOs have proven over and over in a way that they agree, they almost never go the speed limit.

Think about it. Under the 'rules' that we all espouse (i.e......keeping out of the left-hand lane unless passing), that leaves precisely ONE lane to 'cruise' in (i.e.....'travel' lane). And that one, single right-hand 'travel' lane is also accommodating traffic exiting or entering the interstate......not to mention the plain old 'slow' drivers. If you strictly abide the 'rules' (not the 'laws'....the 'rules'.....), you will find yourself spending a LOT of time moving over for the exit/entry traffic.......and passing the slower drivers.

Which of course bungs up the 'passing' lane.

I'm a 'cruiser'.....I prefer to just tool along in one of the center lanes with the tunes playing and let the other idiots fight with each other in the right lane or the passing lane........

So. What I would like to see would be all 3 or 4-lane interstates (in each direction, of course.....)......minimum. Some urban areas temporarily have even more lanes........But the open road should be 6 or 8 lane interstates.....

And I'd LOVE to see all that goddamned gas and diesel tax money go to nothing BUT roads, highways, and interstates..........Without the politicians using a lot of it for crap like trains and trolleys.
OK now I know what you're getting at, and while in a dream world I agree it's nowhere near practical even if ALL the fuel tax money went to the roads. IDK how much you've traveled the country but there are a lot of 2 lane(one each way) highways that are lets say not congested. And even interstates where 4 lanes(2 each way) is plenty.

There is a much more practical and completely doable solution. A combination of long merge/exit lanes and truck climbing lanes.

An emphasis towards every on ramp being at least a mile long, that it moves/starts next to the normal right lane an stays next to it with signage that it ends/exits and a heavy dash line divider. This gives everyone, most of all slow accelerating trucks a mile to merge, or room to slow, or room to line up for an exit, whatever is needed but no matter what it doesn't drastically effect the normal right lane. These type of lanes are around and I think being built more and more, even for left turns.

Secondly if a lane like this is there for an on ramp on a hill a truck can use it as a climbing lane, or of course just add a darn climbing lane.

Generous use of lanes like these can make even a 2 lane(one each) highway move right along just fine.

Your lane usage for cruising point is exactly right, that's why I suggest the above. It's also why you see most trucks in the middle lane. People are moronic jerks at merging, it's too dangerous for a truck to travel in a right lane with many poor merges.

Well that and IDK about there but here traffic engineers seem to think all vehicle go from 0-60 in 2 seconds. They have made places where an exit only is just 50 feet after an on ramp so EVERYONE must cross each other and merge in 50 feet. Or very short up hill on ramps with a "metered ramp". IDK if you've ever seen one of these, they put a traffic light half way up the ramp, it's red then flashes green for a second, one vehicle goes per green. It's like a darn drag race tree. It forces trucks to stop half way up a ramp, then gives only maybe 100 feet to get up to speed and merge with 65 MPH traffic, retarded.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Heil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend