Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 F250 Diesel starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:42 PM
macdian
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 F250 Diesel starting problems

Hi,

Recently bought this truck, and am having some issues. It was tough to start before, and turned out that 3/8 glow plugs were dead. Replaced all 8.

I got it started 2 days ago with a little bit of effort, but wasn't too bad. Then drove it for quite a while to try to recharge the batteries from the start.

I think my main question is that I've heard low oil pressure can affect the start? There's a bit of a leak, and I'm wondering if maybe I'm just low on oil? I've checked it and it's not out but is perhaps low.

Here's the other things to know:

- Glow plugs are on a bypass button to bypass controller. I hold it for about 30 seconds before starting
- I have been giving it some pedal to start
- Batteries probably need replacing, are from '06
- Is full of diesel
- Turns over no problem
- Was starting last week when I used a bit of ether when the glow plugs were bad, but tonight I couldn't even get it to do that
- Injector pump was replaced last year

Thanks for any help or tips of what to look at.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:44 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
what type glow plugs did you put in?
30 seconds is long for glow plug burn, you may have burned them out already if you put autolite or champions in .
glow plug time should only be 15 -20 seconds max.
low oil no start is a powerstroke thing.
low oil will not keep an IDI from starting.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a similar set up on my 89, it works for me, as well as my dad who has the same momentary pushbutton controlling the glow plug relay. Unless the engine is hot, the glow plugs will probably need more than 1 manual cycle. 30 secs more than likely burned out a couple, I've done the same. when its above say or so 60 degrees Fahrenheit, 2-3 10 sec "cycles" with a few seconds in between each cycle heat it well. your wait to start light will light up when you press the button, if its wired the same as mine, that's a good general idea of how long to cycle them. I have autolites, they seem to heat fairly fast, thinking the Beru/ motorcrafts heat slower?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 AM
macdian
New User
Thanks for the reply. I think you might be right. I put in autolites, and the 30 seconds was suggested by a friend of mine.

I got bad advice apparently. Going to pull out the test light this afternoon to check.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
motorcraft glow plugs.10-12 second glow duration is plenty.if it's -20 F you might go for 12-15 seconds.
i personally would replace the controller.the '87-94 system is great.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Autolite plugs will work on a manual momentary push button, I would not use them with the factory controller hooked up though. I've fried a half dozen of mine by accidentally leaving them on for close to a minute when I first put the momentary switch in. every single one that burned out came out looking fine, no swelling, no distortion.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:39 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
get those autolites out of there and replace them with motorcraft plugs. you can get them from rock auto for under $10 each

Old 10-05-2014, 10:14 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Make sure all the glow plugs are in good health, whatever brand you choose. Use a test light to check for continuity, you can hook the power lead to the alternator power stud, it should reach.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 PM
macdian
New User
Thanks guys. Tested them and yes, all 8 are now dead.

Okay - so brand-wise Motorcraft is probably best? I'm in Canada, and so I don't know where to get those. I called a place called partsource who said they could get the following:

-Bosch
-AC Delco
- Champion
- BWD? I'm sure I'm wrong on that one

Should I try to find a Canadian store that has Motorcraft?

Ian

Old 10-05-2014, 03:55 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
motorcraft only. all the other glow plugs are garbage, cost more, and are garbage.
if you have the bullet type ends, you want ZD-9's. if you have the spade ends, you want the ZD-1's.
rockauto.com.
link for the ZD-9: MOTORCRAFT Part # ZD9
link for the ZD-1: RockAuto Parts Catalog

Old 10-05-2014, 05:55 PM
macdian
New User
Thanks Tom - just to confirm one thing.

I'm pretty sure I have the "bullet" type ends, being that it's just a rounded silver end at the top which then a little plug goes onto for the lead.

However, that looks exactly like the picture for the ZD-9, and the opposite of the ZD-1? Just want to confirm you have it inverse in your post?

More Information for MOTORCRAFT ZD9
More Information for MOTORCRAFT ZD1A

Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
you are correct, i am old and senile sometimes. i got them backwards. the spade connector is the ZD-1, bullet connector is ZD-9.
that means you also have a late production 6.9 powered truck with the new style controller.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:15 PM
macdian
New User
Thanks Tom. Really appreciated the help. Ordered my motorcrafts from RockAuto - turns out shipping to Canada was a reasonable $13 - usually not the case!

Here's to hoping my frustration level with this truck goes down, and my operator knowledge goes past the point where I stop wrecking it

Old 10-06-2014, 03:51 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The idi diesels have air intrusion issues caused by the rubber return lines or the o-rings around the return line bonnets. It would be wise to replace them. There are kits out there to do this. An electric lift pump to replace the mechanical lift pump also helps eliminate the hard starts.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:29 PM
macdian
New User
Hi everyone,

Was maybe going to start a new post but thought I'd reply to this.

So I got the Motorcraft plugs in, and yet this truck is still really hard to start. I haven't run the plugs for more than 10 seconds at a time, and did indeed recently check to ensure all were still working even though I was sure they were.

Here's what I know:

- New glow plugs
- Brand new Costco batteries
- Cranks super fast, not slow then fast (as in other posts I've read)
- Starts no problem with ether
- Starts absolutely no problem once warm (no need for glow plugs, etc)
- Fuel is getting to the #1 injector, and there is fuel at the filter. When I press the valve on it, fuel comes out, though it is not highly pressurized (not sure if it's supposed to be).

Any ideas on where to start looking for the gremlin? My initial thoughts are a) ensure the glow plugs are getting juice, then b) look for an air intrusion? Would an air intrusion still allow the truck to start with ether?

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: 87 F250 Diesel starting problems