S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Spooky October SoCal All-Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:46 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
I think this would be a blast to dive to the next Campout. Luxury Prevost Motorhome

Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
All it needs is a blue oval emblem on the front and you would be good to go.

Jim

Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If you're driving a Prevost, you are ALREADY "good-to-go"!

Pop

Old 10-19-2014, 11:58 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
if your referring to the pismo camp outs you better hope the water truck has kept the ramp wet and tight and its low tide..... after that you might have problems haha.

bury that in the sand im not 100% sure the tonka truck could get ya out.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I doubt Prevost owners go to Pismo. LOL

Jim

Old 10-19-2014, 01:21 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Oceano Dune Campground, maybe......

NOT out on the beach area! No muy bueno!

Pop

Old 10-19-2014, 02:38 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
never know! ive seen a few semi tractors out there towing there 40' toy boxes haha....

Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I wonder how it is they don't get stuck?

Jim

Old 10-20-2014, 12:46 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requisite Ford pulling Chevy and his hauler out of the black hole.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
I wonder how it is they don't get stuck?

Jim

i would say luck... pure and simple. then again they may never lift off the skinny pedal

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
i don't talk much bout what i do here... but i got a few pictures from the last week or two to show off. bear with me as they are cellphone pictures and are not that awesome....

this ones of a 120V/208V 200Amp 3 Phase panel in a very upscale brand new apartment complex in Glendale i had to add 3 circuits too.... thankfully there was 3 spots left (yes the panel is live)

i call it the rainbow octopus....

$2,500 dollar light i hung in a "multi million dollar home". the designer is a ditzy lady, sofar the house has been under construction for 2 years? and still is not near finished. there was no electrical plan what so ever.... a common answer from the designer was "what ever a multi million dollar home should have" yes its a ongoing nightmare for us...

next few are from a service upgrade i did a week ago. reasoning for replacement was the main breaker and bussing went into "meltdown". age and corrosion killed this one.house was roughly 30 to 40 years old. usually we recommend replacing all the breakers when we find the panel and busing haven't melted down yet to prevent this $2,500 dollar ASAP repair.

on a side note i had a panel change out a few months back in the Hollywood hills, where the main breaker went into "meltdown" literally! when LAFD showed up smoke was pouring out of the panel and Firefighter said the IR camera showed it was around 600* F and ready to burst into flames as soon as it got enough oxygen.

anyways back to last weeks job,

old panel and after i cut the stucco to fit the new panel. and yes the 3 wires under the meter are live and UNFUSED, lots of electrical tape and care was used

out with the old and in with the new! also cleaned up the rats nest of wires wile we were at it.

feeder wires extended and wires landed, ready to stab the meter in and power the house back up.

my "apprentice" hey it keeps the tools out of the dirt and at a handy working height!

annnd all done! stucco patch after inspection which we passed first shot

next two are of a 200amp panel in Granada hills that is ready to die.... service call was for a bad breaker (note shinny new 2 pole breaker on the bottom left) come to find out yes the old breaker was dead but so was the underground conduit feeding the pool equipment on that breaker. customer got a main recommendation for a new pool equipment conduit and a secondary recommendation to replace the main service... he was not too happy.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
here is some Old School **** and tube with cloth covered wire.... original wiring to the house, in the city of ventura built in 1926.

Note: we were rewiring the home with a new 200amp service and bringing the electrical system up to 2011 NEC code.

tube wiring, there in 2 circuits there in the crawl space.

***** and tubes going every which way in the attic!

2 circuits in the attic, spanish style house and the attic was only about 12 to 16" in places.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

The dress of that new panel shows the quality of the work you do.

Good job!

What are those splices called that you used to extend those mains? Do you know if they are Cu/Al rated?

I'm kinda' surprised that the original neutral wasn't white, or at least taped.

Where's that new EMT going out the top?

Pop

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
The dress of that new panel shows the quality of the work you do.

Good job!
thanks! in all honesty i think it still sucks... haha the boss is like a frigging robot when it comes to dressing up a brand new panel. someday i will be that good

What are those splices called that you used to extend those mains? Do you know if they are Cu/Al rated?
don't remember there trade name but they are rated for Cu/Al. they are large set screw types that come with rubber insulation boots and plugs to cover the set screws, which i tape on because they do fall off. i also used generous amounts of Nolax? in the splices. didnt really like useing them but no other option when the new meter base is 10" higher than the old one... and Edison don't like to replace feeders if they don't have too.

I'm kinda' surprised that the original neutral wasn't white, or at least taped.
yeah most are not, we tape them up good.... i am still trying to perfect my candy cane taping method... don't always come out as i like.

Where's that new EMT going out the top?

Pop
that was a existing EMT that went into the bottom of the old panel, it feeds the FAU in the attic...so i shortened it up a little bit and a little dash of EMT bender it got re routed into the top of the new panel.

strange i edited the pictures in photo bucket to be right side up, but i see its stuck on retread and still showing them lop sided here.... at least for me

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Poignant that you put up a wiring post, Justin. We got word today as we were driving home that the little family restaurant down the street was burned out this morning. We eat there 2 or 3 times a week and have become good friends with the family that owns it. It was written up as an electrical fire in the kitchen area. The owners kids worked there too. Now they, the kids families, as well as all their employees are suddenly unemployed. Carol and I are trying to figure out how we can help.

That old tube wiring you posted is really scary stuff. You would think it would mostly be gone by now, but there is still a lot of it out there.

Quick Reply: Spooky October SoCal All-Topic Thread