1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble gone, bump steer persists

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Death wobble gone, bump steer persists

Got my WC Motorsports death wobble repair kit installed today. The death wobble is gone, but the bump steer is bad enough to jerk the steering wheel out of your hand several times on a short trip. My mechanic checked out the entire front end and said there are no other worn or loose parts. From WC Motorsports and my own research on this site, it appears that most all agree that a duel stabilizer is the way to solve this problem. My question is, which duel stabilizer? Does the single stock one stay in place or come out? Anything else I need to consider here?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:21 PM
jesse5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need an even better match in parallelism between the draglink and tracking bar.

Bilstein steering stabilizers would do fine in masking a lot of the problem but lets see if we can get the base geometry better first.

Has there been any change in ride height from stock?

Tell me about the tires and their air pressure.

What are your alignment specs.?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jesse5
You need an even better match in parallelism between the draglink and tracking bar.

Bilstein steering stabilizers would do fine in masking a lot of the problem but lets see if we can get the base geometry better first.

Has there been any change in ride height from stock?

Tell me about the tires and their air pressure.

What are your alignment specs.?
Draglink and trackbar run pretty parallel. This track bar has a bend to it near the passenger side end, and there they are completely parallel. They do diverge a bit as it gets more toward the driver's side. Since the trackbar has a bend and the draglink doesn't, you'd never get them parallel all the way across.

Ride height is about 1 to 1.5" above stock.

Tires are 285/70/19.5 at 75 psi. That's a 35.5" tire. Each wheel and tire combo weighs 162 lbs. That's the source of this problem.

I have no idea as to alignment specs.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 AM
je5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picture worth a thousand words. You did get the 0-2.5" Lift Kit Bar and not the 4"? I wish the bar was straight and the tuning left to trac-bar drop brackets or pitman arm drops.

With the heavy wheels you are just trying to make it like an F550 and increase the tires total weight carrying ability by a ton. Sounds like something I would try.

The wide-track Super60 front 4WD axle on the F450 and F550 has larger ball joints than your truck so expect shorter ball joint life.

At this point I would install two of the strongest steering stabilizers I could find to help handle the much larger unsprung weight you have added. Your steering box life will be shortened as well. The caster could be fine tuned some as well. If you did it for aesthetics maybe consider forged alloy 20's in the future. If for the weight safety margin it pays to play. Thanks for making a safer vehicle for the public roads. As they say, the life you save maybe your own.

Take care neighbor!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:55 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by je5
Picture worth a thousand words. You did get the 0-2.5" Lift Kit Bar and not the 4"? I wish the bar was straight and the tuning left to trac-bar drop brackets or pitman arm drops.

With the heavy wheels you are just trying to make it like an F550 and increase the tires total weight carrying ability by a ton. Sounds like something I would try.

The wide-track Super60 front 4WD axle on the F450 and F550 has larger ball joints than your truck so expect shorter ball joint life.

At this point I would install two of the strongest steering stabilizers I could find to help handle the much larger unsprung weight you have added. Your steering box life will be shortened as well. The caster could be fine tuned some as well. If you did it for aesthetics maybe consider forged alloy 20's in the future. If for the weight safety margin it pays to play. Thanks for making a safer vehicle for the public roads. As they say, the life you save maybe your own.

Take care neighbor!

Draglink and trackbar angle

Here's the picture. As you see, they run pretty well parallel. Yes, the tires were for heavy pulling. I don't really need them anymore, and plan to replace them with the stock wheels and lighter tires as soon as these either wear out or I get tired of screwing with them and the problems they cause. So far, the ball joints and steering box are still in good shape, but I know that ain't forever.

Anybody have a dual steering stabilize to recommend or ward me off of?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:30 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
I've been looking at various dual kits and keep running into concerns about clearance for the bracket that fits on the front axel. My truck has some lift from the 4wd conversion, it's just not clear how much. What needs to be cleared, and how much clearance does it need?