1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard transmissions, where have they gone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 PM
wahster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Standard transmissions, where have they gone?

Hello all,

I was wondering if very many people in F-ville pretty much insist on manual transmissions, because I'm one of them. For me, I like the idea of being in control of the gears when out in the boonies, and I like the idea of being able to push start it (in the mountains I always park nose down so, if need be I can roll down the slope and dump the clutch). In general, I tend to prefer manual locking hubs as well to avoid vacuum problems and just knowing the hubs are locked because I did it.
I bought my first F-250 4WD in 2001 and all I wanted was a standard transmission, triton V8, 4WD, and crew cab. Could not find one in New Mexico (I found many that met all of my requirements except the standard transmission). I ended up ordering from the factory direct and got all that I wanted. And then I got divorced. Bummer. I should have had a pre-nup so she wouldn't get the truck.
Back in the same dilemma, but in 2005 I lucked out and found a used 2002 F-250 in great shape that had everything I wanted except it was a diesel, and it was right here in Santa Fe! The 7.3L is fantastic- powerful, huge torque and great in the rough, so I'm a diesel fan now as well.
If you prefer an automatic, I'd be interested in hearing why. Happy trucking'!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Manual transmissions are going away because demand is decreasing. Its expensive to engineer and implement 2 transmissions. On top of that automatics are getting better and better, stronger, and shift faster than ever before. The old "need a transmission for durability" just doesnt hold water anymore, and combined with a decreasing demand, it just isnt feasable.

There are still a lot of die hards and enthusiests who like a manual though. I love driving stick, but I would much rather have an automatic in my truck since its a daily driver and off roader.

And this is the part that kills me, everyone complains about it, and everyone seems to forget this... Autolock hubs can be MANUALLY LOCKED, just like a normal manual hub, only with the added benefit of an auto lock if properly maintained.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I wanted a manual but had to settle on an auto.(my 74' is manual though) I was not ordering a new 05' because I knew there would be bugs and TSBs due to the mild redesign.(and there was) Dealers don't order manuals as stock for the most part and most people buy vehicles in stock on the lot. Ford would have had to completely redesign the manul trans to hold the power the diesels are putting out. Between that cost, the emissions requirements of the .gov ***** and low market share the manuals are gone.

And this is the part that kills me, everyone complains about it, and everyone seems to forget this... Autolock hubs can be MANUALLY LOCKED, just like a normal manual hub, only with the added benefit of an auto lock if properly maintained.
Only overly priced OE replacements available and a system prone to leaks.(both my dads ESOF SDs had to have seals replaced under warrenty) Not everyone lives where there is no snow and no road salt, thus the hubs like to corrode up and corrosion between the dial. New seals are not available if you tear one trying to service the auto hubs. Then there is the t-case. The manual system is more reliable and stronger (cheaper) hubs are available.

The ESOF system is handle and it is must for dad. But I have seen the issues first hand and decided I don't want it on my truck.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:09 AM
DCP
Senior User
And this is the part that kills me, everyone complains about it, and everyone seems to forget this... Autolock hubs can be MANUALLY LOCKED, just like a normal manual hub, only with the added benefit of an auto lock if properly maintained.[/QUOTE]

I've been around situations where the auto hubs didn't lock in when I wanted them to and once they lock in you never know if they'll unlock properly. Plus the vacuum pump that runs the Ford's auto hub tends to fail like what happened to my brother's new truck. They best thing about getting manual hubs on a newer Ford is that there is no unit bearings to go bad and you get serviceable wheel bearings instead. Plus when you unlock a manual hub you have confidence the hubs are unlocked. I special ordered my truck with manual hubs and transfer case.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:40 AM
DCP
Senior User
I would of ordered a manual trans if I had a choice.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:03 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
manual trans and manual tcase is the best thing i would like. to many trucks being sold now, are not used as trucks, instead the wife drives them to work everyday.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I bought my 04 F350 for precisely this reason- a manual is an obsolete option. The longer I waited, the less chance of finding one in the best shape possible, and with low mileage.
A manual transmission is a preference. The current lineup of autos are fantastic, manage torque and power very well, and aren't a compromise for fuel economy. They are also a part of the emissions-management equation.
But, even as great as the autos are, I still prefer a manual, manual shift transfer case, and straight lockout hubs. No auto, vacuum, unreliable junk. The first thing I did when I bought my truck was chuck the factory hubs, and install a stronger, nicer looking set. The Ford hubs are sitting on my shelf, in case one goes bad on my fathers truck.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
nothing worse then unreliable junk, and thats exactly what the new trucks are becomming, but hey you got 8 cupholders to look at when your waiting for AAA to come tow you to a dealership.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Standard transmissions haven't gone anywhere. Every truck comes with a transmission as standard equipment.

Sent from my HTC ONE using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
nothing worse then unreliable junk, and thats exactly what the new trucks are becomming, but hey you got 8 cupholders to look at when your waiting for AAA to come tow you to a dealership.
just laughed so hard i spit water everywhere!

And to the OP Dodge offers a manual still, if i could afford a new truck i would go Dodge just because of the manual trans

Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 2003 , my wife and I were starting a new life called full-time RV'ers . We would be on the road travelling several years in a 5th wheel trailer to see the beautiful places this country offers .

It was my job to configure the truck for reliability , the tranny , the engine ,the rear axle ,the hitch , the payload capacity . The ZF-6 was my choice and I never looked back .

PS. I have to admit that standard transmission is the choice of an "enthusiast" not the "casual driver " since there are numerous "rules" for using a clutch . Those rules must be obeyed if you want the clutch to last . That is why it is not for everyone .

Old 10-02-2014, 04:01 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife prefers power everything and automatics, and she can have what she wants, but I will never own a truck with auto or power anything. As long as my arm works I can get a manual home no matter what happens to it.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfboro
It was my job to configure the truck for reliability , the tranny , the engine ,the rear axle ,the hitch , the payload capacity . The ZF-6 was my choice and I never looked back .
"We see far more ZF6 clutch problems on here than we do failed 5R110 automatics. "

See what I did there? An anecdote. Lots of them in this thread, and people are passing them around as established and proven principles.

In my opinion cars and trucks are getting more reliable as times goes on, not less. Eleven years ago we had a slew of issues with the 2003 6.0L engines. Fast forward to 2011 and the issues facing the far more complex 6.7L seem downright benign in comparison. Few and far between at very best. And while the 6R140 has seen some shift quality issues, outright failures are downright rare. In the years I've been moderator of the 6.7L forum I can't remember seeing a single one.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I used to like manual transmissions, and to that end I used to understand the argument some of you are putting forth. Then I went to truck driving school, and 250,000 miles later shifting 10- and 13-speed transmissions I can't say I enjoy it much anymore.

From a quantitative standpoint there isn't much to recommend a standard transmission. Modern autoboxes get better fuel economy and have at least as many gears as a comparable manual transmission and often more. The transmission they have been putting into Ford pickups for the last few years have offered manual modes that permit the driver to pick their own gear. So why, other than preference, would anyone want an old-fashioned manual transmission?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
So why, other than preference, would anyone want an old-fashioned manual transmission?
Besides it working when, where and how I want it to, I have eyes and a brain and can see the road in front of me instead of having it shift based on set parameters a computer controls(hold a gear longer up hill, not upshift just because I let off the gas going downhill, etc). I can shift an automatic manually, but if I have to do that then what's the point of having an automatic?

Quick Reply: Standard transmissions, where have they gone?