1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Calling a tow truck for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:46 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Calling a tow truck for the first time...

Welp... I think a blew a fuel line. Lots of spray from the drivers front area near the hpop...

I think this is the first time she has failed to a point where I called a tow....

I think they are the original lines (280k miles)

Richard

Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those old lines wear out eventuly, to bad it left you stranded though. The front drive side line blew on our welding truck, but it was in the drive way. Im sure you know already but Clay sells them. Maybe time for efuel though?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:43 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
That sucks Richard. They don't owe you much though. About 20 years old and 280k on them!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:45 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Those old lines wear out eventuly, to bad it left you stranded though. The front drive side line blew on our welding truck, but it was in the drive way. Im sure you know already but Clay sells them. Maybe time for efuel though?

Yup... that is the one. From the fuel bowl to the drivers side front of the head.

Looks like I have to pull the a/c compressor and bracket to get to that fitting without breaking something.

The local ford dealer has it in stock for $30. If I could get it from Clay ($20 there) I would but the truck is my only transport right now so I need to get it going.

I already rebuilt the fuel bowl and did the fuel pump so no e-fuel for me. At some point in the future maybe.

After the company I was working for closed up I went independent and making a fair bit less than I used to so I have to watch the pennies (IT and web hosting).

Richard

Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Richard. I guess it could be a lot worse though.

It might be another $30 well spent to replace the other one too... It doesn't have to spray too much fuel to make up that $30 and tow trucks aren't cheap either!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:53 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Sorry to hear this, Richard. I guess it could be a lot worse though.

It might be another $30 well spent to replace the other one too... It doesn't have to spray too much fuel to make up that $30 and tow trucks aren't cheap either!
Yea... I will see if they have it. and the tow truck was free.... that $3 per 6months for the state farm tow service finally paid off.

Richard

Old 09-29-2014, 06:54 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
That sucks Richard. They don't owe you much though. About 20 years old and 280k on them!

Indeed... but I thought it would be the tranny to go first... it's original too!

Richard

Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Yea... I will see if they have it. and the tow truck was free.... that $3 per 6months for the state farm tow service finally paid off.

Richard
'Atta boy! Got your own CYA policy! Not too many people out there anymore that think ahead, lol.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:19 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Darn fuel lines... I can only imagine that mess. I'm thinking I'm in line for an e4od failure as soon as I pull this camper regularly lol

Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Glad it wasn't to serious Richard!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Nate Richard. I would go ahead and do both. Keep the one good one for an emergency spare.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Jeeze... Rough Monday. The dealer only had the one line. I will put the other on my riffraff list along with the turbo boots (I still have the original Orange ones).

So, good news the dealership closes at 7 so my brother can give me a ride after he gets off work.

I go to pull the compressor to get make it easier to get to the bracket bolts and I find my nice snapon ratchet is stripped out. My brother's craftsman ratchets are stripped out too.

So. I walked to his place and played video games till he got home and we went to the dealer and sears.

Craftsman has gone WAY downhill. Everything is made in China now and seems to have the same quality as harbor freight. I even saw a wrench that had the exact same burr on the inside that the harbor freight one I got did (bet they are made on the same forgings).

Apparently, their old standard made in USA line is now their "industrial" line with double the price to compete with snap on/Cornwell/matco except the one advantage craftsman had (other than price) was that you could go to any sears and get them replaced...... But sears does not carry the made in USA industrial line.

No wonder that place is going out of business.

Sorry for the rant

Richard

Old 09-29-2014, 11:24 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sears really went south when Kmart bought them out. They were shutting down every Kmart store around here, and next thing I know, they bought Sears! Go figure. Just felt weird standing in Kmart looking at Craftsman tools! LOL!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That a.c. compressor bracket unbolts and you can just move it to the side no need to remove it.
If were talking fuel lines from FPR to the front of the heads I went to my local hydraulic line store and they made the lines for 15$ each. These lines are extremely heavy duty.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket
That a.c. compressor bracket unbolts and you can just move it to the side no need to remove it.
If were talking fuel lines from FPR to the front of the heads I went to my local hydraulic line store and they made the lines for 15$ each. These lines are extremely heavy duty.
Yea... that is what I did.

I pulled the ac compressor and tied it off to the side. Then I removed the top three bolts and loosened the fourth bottom bolt and just rotated it out of the way.

Made it easy to put back.

Gee... I wonder if this leaks

Richard

Quick Reply: Calling a tow truck for the first time...