EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

EcoBoost Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoBoost Story

Part of the deal when I ordered my new 6.7 was that I asked the dealer to throw in a loaner for me to drive until it arrived. They agreed and ended up giving me a 2000 F150 2WD with a 4.6l and 266,000km on the clock. Wouldn't be my first choice but runs like a top and I can't complain when it comes to getting a free truck. I finally drove it down to work a few days ago and I got 21.5 MPG with it, hand calculated. Same roads, speeds and fuel as I always drove with my '13 F150 EcoBoost which NEVER saw any better than 18.5 MPG and that was a 1 time occurrence (typically averaged 17-17.5MPG). Now I understand that it should get a little better being it's a 2WD but that is quite a big difference. You can rest assured that when anyone asks me what the new Ecoboost was like, I don't hold back when I tell them I'd never get another one.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:23 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon D
Part of the deal when I ordered my new 6.7 was that I asked the dealer to throw in a loaner for me to drive until it arrived. They agreed and ended up giving me a 2000 F150 2WD with a 4.6l and 266,000km on the clock. Wouldn't be my first choice but runs like a top and I can't complain when it comes to getting a free truck. I finally drove it down to work a few days ago and I got 21.5 MPG with it, hand calculated. Same roads, speeds and fuel as I always drove with my '13 F150 EcoBoost which NEVER saw any better than 18.5 MPG and that was a 1 time occurrence (typically averaged 17-17.5MPG). Now I understand that it should get a little better being it's a 2WD but that is quite a big difference. You can rest assured that when anyone asks me what the new Ecoboost was like, I don't hold back when I tell them I'd never get another one.
Another guy with a decked out FX4 with either 3.55's or 3.73's, (you didn't say) and expecting 24 MPG's. Wow, just wow! What did she weight, 5900 - 6100 LBs?

My 2004 Expy 4x2 with the 4.6L gets 20 all day on the freeway with a 3.73 LS axle. My 2011 EB gets 24 all day running 3.31's and it's a 4x4.

You should compare apples to apples when giving kudos to one and slamming another. The 4.6L won't pull itself out of a wet paperbag. Mine struggles to pull anything beyond it's own weight and some passengers.

Good luck with your diesel.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:18 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Another funny thing about human behaviour when comparing trucks. Peopel tend to give far more throttle than needed when using more powerful engines, because they like the feedback of accelleration. On a smaller engine, that's just no fun, so most people back off and use a lighter throttle.

I went from a 2005 F150 Supcrew 4x4 Lariat to a 2012 Supercrew 4x4 XLT, and my mileage improved a lot. Towing is a little bit better, City is better, and highway is a lot better. Power is better is every situation too, that engine tows like a dream compared to my 5.4L.

I think that's an apples-to-apples comparison, and it's one of the reasons I'm VERY happy with my truck, and I would for sure be looking for another ecoboost in my next truck.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 PM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
My 2011 EB gets 24 all day running 3.31's and it's a 4x4.

24mpg?
That's pretty high.
Running how fast?
Covering what kind of territory?
That speed gets what RPM?

Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I buy a vehicle to do a job - period...

if I need a big truck to tow big things, mpg is not even on the radar...
if I WANT a fast car, mpg is not on the radar...
if MPG is paramount, I probably wouldn't drive at all or get a lil bitty crushed can of a car...

I KNOW mpg is not important to my wife,
but she had to have the explorer sport with the ecoboost and whatever mpg we get in it (with the cheap REGULAR gas) is fine with us...

Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by David W Jones
24mpg?
That's pretty high.
Running how fast?
Covering what kind of territory?
That speed gets what RPM?
That is pretty high and it's the truth. I always travel about 70-75. My last trip to my daughter's college, half flats and half mountains, I achieved a sustained 25 in the flats doing 68-70. It'll never get better than that.

In the entire round trip, I'll easily average 21 doing 70-75. No need for me to lie, I bought what I needed and not what my testosterone told me to get.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My workmate sees tskins mpg. He's got a 2014 Reg cab long bed XLT with ecoboost 3.73 E-Locker. He averages 22-23mpg hand calc on average. He normally hauls long racks long distance to remote deployments. Typically 300-700 miles of interstate one way. There's a hard cover on the bed, and the racks are about 80" tall (laid down in the bed) and contain on average 200-900lbs of equipment.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:43 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be fair, the 4.6l was Fords fuel miser engine up to 2010. (back when the didn't offer any 6's). A lot of those trucks were set up to maximise fuel economy with 2wd and tall gearing, at the expense of performance.

The equivalent truck today would have the naturally aspirated 3.7l v6, which has more power and sees even better fuel economy.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
That is pretty high and it's the truth. I always travel about 70-75. My last trip to my daughter's college, half flats and half mountains, I achieved a sustained 25 in the flats doing 68-70. It'll never get better than that.

In the entire round trip, I'll easily average 21 doing 70-75. No need for me to lie, I bought what I needed and not what my testosterone told me to get.
Hey, sorry. Seemed pretty high. Falls off pretty quickly between 68-70 (25) and 70-75 (21). My 5.0 falls at a steadier pace than your Eco Boost and has been more consistent over all since I bought it.

You've found some ways to boost the mileage since you typed this 13 months ago? Finally broken in after a few years?

"I'm getting 24 on the flats between 55-65. At 80 on the flats I'm seeing 20. I don't push over 80 ever and rarely even 80 unless I'm passing. I normally hover around 75 or about 9 miles over the limit.

Most of my trips are to my daughter's college which equates to half flats and half mountains. I average 20 on the trip maintaining 70-75.

Another thing to mention is that the ecoboost has about a 10K mile break in period. Sooo, for anyone buying this beast and expecting wicked MPG's, you'll have to show a little patience. __________________

Tim
SCPO United States Coast Guard Retired "

Old 09-23-2014, 06:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I know it seems high and it's peaked for sure. But remember, my truck is an Scab and geared with 3.31's and I'm currently running 235-75-17's all around. I expect a slight decrease when I add the 265's, if these darned Hankooks ever wear out. My truck weighs about 5600 whereas a Platinum with the 6.5' bed for instance will come in at about 6200.

My truck is nothing extravagant, just a base model XLT.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Atlee
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's quite a big difference in engines also. The ECO has power. Is the 4.6L equal in power? I don't think so. Also, what rear end did the ECO and the 4.6L have. That also makes a difference.

Currently, I wouldn't take 3 4.6L's in place of my current 3.5L Ecoboost.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Yes I am well aware I'm not comparing apples to apples. Sure the Eco has more power but the 4.6 is also 14yrs old and has 266,000km's. My Eco was brand new and despite all bogus claims of "it'll improve after break in", it never got any better than it did from day 1. The truck had 62,000km on it when it met it's demise and the absolute best I ever saw was 18.5MPG. And you can all say your Eco is the best purchase ever but I can almost 100% guarantee you that people choose the Eco over the 5.0 hoping to attain something close to the 32 MPG that they advertise it to have? Has anyone seen or heard of anyone getting anywhere close to that? tseekins posted the best #'s I have ever seen and I know he has no reason to lie but I also know that even a broken clock is right twice a day so maybe Ford get's it right on 1 out of every 10,000 EB's that roll off the lot? It's also human nature to sway the #'s a little to give yourself that warm fuzzy feeling when you fill up. I'm glad that there are those of you that are happy with their purchase, to each their own after all. I just wanted to post my experience with it so others can make an informed decision when buying their next truck.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Brandon, you need to be very careful of the advertised MPG's we see sometime here in Canada. they are doing a little trick with an Imperial Gallon Vs the US Gallon.
1 Imperial Gallon is 4.54 Litres
1 US Gallon is 3.78 Litres

Even our own government is in on this little trick, as they publish MPG beside the L/100km numbers, but aren't terribly explicit that it's Imperial Gallons they are talking about. Since we can't buy fuel in imperial gallons, that's a pretty useless statistic.

IMO, The proper way to measure fuel economy in Canada is in L/100km.
You can look up the Canadian government ratings at Fuel Consumption Guide | Natural Resources Canada. Your truck was rated at 13.0/9.1 L/100km (which is 22/31 Miles per IMPERIAL Gallon, or 18/25.8 miles per US Gallon)
You can look up the US EPA rating at Fuel Economy. I looked it up and your truck was rated for 17 MPG combined.
Keep in mind the EPA and NRCan use different tests.

So if you had any delusions about getting 32 Miles per US Gallon, you were misinformed. That's not a problem with the truck, or with Ford, or with the availible information.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Thanks for the info. I am obviously aware of the difference between an Imperial and US gallon but I was unaware of the difference when it came to advertising. I guess I will blame my own ignorance on that one. When I see 100 commercials for a truck saying it gets 32 MPG, I half *** expect it to get something close to that. The only thing I will disagree with you on is that it's not a problem with Ford. They write the commercials so in a way it's definitely false advertising on their part, regardless of the difference in measurements.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Thanks for the info. I am obviously aware of the difference between an Imperial and US gallon but I was unaware of the difference when it came to advertising. I guess I will blame my own ignorance on that one. When I see 100 commercials for a truck saying it gets 32 MPG, I half *** expect it to get something close to that. The only thing I will disagree with you on is that it's not a problem with Ford. They write the commercials so in a way it's definitely false advertising on their part, regardless of the difference in measurements.
Really sorry that your truck got destroyed, she sure was a beauty. Nice choice too.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Story