1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Missing and Stumbling @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok time for some input from me lol. I can speak from some experience on this one as I have had problematic PSDs and ALSO own a SD. Heres where I stand:

What would I trade my OBS on? Not much
What would I trade my SD on? Not much

I love both my trucks, my OBS a bit more simply because Iv owned it longer. Im not going to get in a heated debate on whether OBS is better than SD or other way around. What I DONT want to happen is you run off, sell your OBS and sink a hunk of money on a used SD expecting 100% trouble free performance. Itd be nice if things worked that way. If your thinking about a SD 7.3L (of which Im sure you are), just think about this: essentially the same motor, essentially the same trans. You really wont be any further ahead unless you sink a TON of money on a low mile mint. And even then, you know its sat for most of its life, so deteriorating lines and rust could be an issue...

I guess to wrap things up and keep myself from rambling on, you can either sink some cash into your OBS and have a reliable truck, or take all that money and put a down payment along with a monthly payment on a low mile gem. The same could be said on another OBS: down payment along with a payment on a low mile OBS. Your only true blue way of getting a 100% reliable truck is get a brand new 6.7L with 100,000 miles worth of warranty. Then youll be ate up with payments!

Just make sure you sit down and weigh your options (something Im not good at). The gf says im getting buried with my 2 trucks so my mind is made for me lol!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
There is one thing I didn't say a couple posts up. If pictures tell the truth, you have one damn good looking red dually Byron!!!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I'll give my two cents on the subject LOL! Byron, if an SD is what you want, go for it buddy. Nobody knows better than you what you want or need. I know a lot of us are die hard OBS guys, me being one of them, but if I like the 7.3 SDs too. I would drive one for sure, but I would have run across a super good deal on one. My thing with the OBS trucks is just the body style....it's always been my favorite. I bought a brand new 6.0 SD in '04 and I really liked the truck. The SDs are a little more comfortable and have more creature comforts. But, with the same amount of miles as an OBS, your gonna have a lot of the same issues. If you get a SD with the ZF6, you have to keep in mind that when that ZF6 needs rebuilt, it is waaaaay more expensive than a ZF5, and in my opinion, the ZF5 is a tougher trans and will take more abuse. You will be gaining a little more HP and an IC, and will tow fine in stock form, but will you be satisfied with it in stock form is the question. I realize what your are saying about not having the time to do the upgrades to your OBS to make it the way you want it, but you may run into the same issues with an SD. I honestly don't think there is such thing as "stress free driving" when you are towing heavy on long trips, no matter what you are driving. I've got a 7.3 SD sitting out here at my shop right now with a messed up clutch, ball joints, and who know what else. Also have an '03 Dodge Cummins sitting out there that is overheating when he tows, which I think is just a fan clutch, but still. Was looking under the hood of it this evening and noticed a Jasper sticker on the core support, so it's probably had an engine put in it. I guess what I'm saying is, and what I've said before, what ever you drive, and especially tow heavy with is gonna eventually give you problems. My truck towed 11,000 lbs. the other day through these mountains and did great. Never came out of fifth gear and EGTs stayed right around 1000*. I know you don't have the time and probably not the resources to DIY all the stuff like I did, and probably can't afford to buy all the stuff, which is why I DIYed it LOL, but your not gonna get that from a stock SD either. If you could find a good deal on a modded SD, then you may have something, but then you have to worry about who did the mods, were they done right, and you're gonna pay more for it. Doesn't matter if you went and bought a brand new one tomorrow. You could hook a trailer to it and take off for Texas and it break down on you the same as anything else. But, like I said in the beginning of this book, you know what you want and what you need, and I'll support your decision and still help you in any way I can, and I'm sure everyone else will too. They're just trucks and we're all friends right

Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bills perspective of this little situation is perfect. And at the end of the day it's gotta fit your life, no one else's. Get what you want. And if you show pics we might let you stick your nose around here still

Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I don't care what you drive, your going to see the side of the road every once in awhile.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
JP, Glenn, Bill, Nick, and other dudes...I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input! It really does help. I don't just read through it with carelessness. Bill and JP, you guys have really made me think. I LOVE this truck and it has been really good to me. I think I there is a lot of merit to what you said about finding an SD and is it really going to be what I need. I was even driving home from work today and thinking just how good it runs and how bada$$ it sounds! LOL I have a lot to think about with what you guys said and respond to, but it's hard to do from my phone. At this point, I am going to look at one 2000 CCLB tomorrow after work and see how it sits with me. Sometimes just going to look can really set a decision in stone one way or the other. I have gone to look before when I had something questionable and realized it just didn't feel right and would be a bad decision. A couple of times, it worked out extremely well, like when I bought this truck. dde04 Bill, your input was so helpful. Much respect! It definitely gave me stuff to sit on. This isn't going to be one of those things I do hastily. I have some time. Glenn, you are right about the side of the road. I have been there with each truck I have owned at one point. I think it's bound to happen when you really work these trucks like we do!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Bills perspective of this little situation is perfect. And at the end of the day it's gotta fit your life, no one else's. Get what you want. And if you show pics we might let you stick your nose around here still
Nick, you got it man...pics will always follow! I'll be around here no matter what I do. I have made some damn good friends here no matter what I drive!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Good luck on your quest! As said earlier, everyone here will support you either way

Old 10-14-2014, 10:21 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I don't care what you drive, your going to see the side of the road every once in awhile.
This is so true, as we both know! I have some good "ohcrap what was that noise" kind of stories.

Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Good luck on your quest! As said earlier, everyone here will support you either way
Thanks JP! This place rules for sure. Cheers!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:28 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by BBslider001
This is so true, as we both know! I have some good "ohcrap what was that noise" kind of stories
A couple days ago it was "ohcrap what is that smell" when my ac compressor clutch went out. LOL It smelled so bad that my wife went back and rode in the 5er! She thought it smelled like burning rubber and I thought it smelled like brakes hanging up.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Well fellas, after sleeping on it and reading the input from last night, I am leaning towards just keeping my OBS and doing the necessary mods as much as I can afford and use the help I have. I have a good friend who is pretty good with a wrench. He doesn't know these trucks, but he does know mechanics and is used to working on older cars. I am still going to look at one SD to satisfy my curiosity and see how my gut feels, but I am thinking I will say no and keep what I have. I have really gotten to know my truck pretty well and have come this far with mods, fixes, and upgrades. When I look at my sig, I am like "oh yeah, I did this and that to it" LOL!!!

At this point,my biggest concern is the trans. I have to decide if I can pull off a ZF swap myself with the help and $$ I have or just put a new BTS or upgraded E4OD of some sort and quit worrying about it. Here is the list of needs/wants:

1) Trans issue--swap or new auto
2) Injectors
3) HPOP
4) Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges (no biggie)
5) new fuel lines from heads to the regulator (rotted)
6) Firestone Airbags (rearend sags way too much with trailer)

I could probably get in it as it sits and drive to Texas with no issue....its just not wanting to chance it this time. Thanks for going on this journey with me dudes! It has made it easier to sift through the decision making process. I have learned that it is usually cheaper and better to keep what you have if its in pretty good shape. Even though that list looks a little intimidating, I know I have good mechanical skills and its really just small stuff in the long run.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
A couple days ago it was "ohcrap what is that smell" when my ac compressor clutch went out. LOL It smelled so bad that my wife went back and rode in the 5er! She thought it smelled like burning rubber and I thought it smelled like brakes hanging up.
Yikes!! I read about that and meant to comment. Did you ever order the new harness pigtail? I installed mine and the A/C has worked fine since then. It sounds like you lost your clutch though.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
There have been a lot of good points here. One thing with a super duty is the bigger injectors and hpop to start with. You don't need much but a chip and it runs real good. A hpop upgrade will help with a chip though as those splits are oil hungry.

Depending on mileage, you may need injector work on a super duty too. You never know.

YOU need to decide Byron.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:07 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
There have been a lot of good points here. One thing with a super duty is the bigger injectors and hpop to start with. You don't need much but a chip and it runs real good. A hpop upgrade will help with a chip though as those splits are oil hungry. Depending on mileage, you may need injector work on a super duty too. You never know. YOU need to decide Byron.
Yeah Darin, I agree. For now, it's been decided that Ruby stays. The one SD I wanted to look at has a "mileage discrepancy" on the Carfax. No thanks. I talked at length with John Woods about getting another E4OD built and am pretty sure that's the route I am going to go. Trying to source all the parts and the stuff for the swap just isn't feasible for me right now. If someone popped with EVERY part I would need for a good price, I might do it. But to pull in and have a really good E4OD installed in a day and be able to drive home with a good warranty sounds good to me. Again, your input has been invaluable! Thanks fellas. Stay tuned! More mod stuff to come pretty soon!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Krause
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
At this point,my biggest concern is the trans. I have to decide if I can pull off a ZF swap myself with the help and $$ I have or just put a new BTS or upgraded E4OD of some sort and quit worrying about it. Here is the list of needs/wants:

1) Trans issue--swap or new auto
2) Injectors
3) HPOP
4) Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges (no biggie)
5) new fuel lines from heads to the regulator (rotted)
6) Firestone Airbags (rearend sags way too much with trailer)
Byron, I dont post here often, but I lurk quite a bit. I'll echo what others have said, a SD would be nice from some respects, but split shots are not all that amazing, and many of the things you have mentioned on your list would likely need to be done on a SD as well.

To be honest, of your list, only #1 can not be completed in a weekend. Someone with experience removing/installing 7.3 injectors can help and two hands could have 2/3/4 and 5 all done in one swing on a saturday/sunday (start early and you could even have # 6 done on the same weekend). From the looks of your list, it dosnt look like you/re that far off.... Collect some parts and crank it out.

And of course, the tranny is everyone's dreaded deal. But again, thats a day trip to John wood and you will be driving home that evening, no stress. This would need to be done on a SD as well, (or a 1000$$ SB/equivalent clutch)..

Be patient and save the pennies, I think you're in better shape than you think.
-Krause

Quick Reply: Missing and Stumbling @ WOT