1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Missing and Stumbling @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about the job Byron. Hopefully this is just an open gate to greener pastures. Go ride a few waves and watch the sunset and I'm sure everything will feel a lot better.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Chit seems to happen all at the same time, bummer! I hope for you that your back up comes thru for you Byron. At least your truck runs, very many WOT runs and you'll be buying a BTS, LOL.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Byron, unplug the icp then start it and drive it, see what happens. Same with the map, just do them seperately. Both times will cel, but see how it runs.

Sucks about the job man..
Alright Darin, thanks. Getting ready to leave the house here in a few so I'll start with the ICP first. It does suck abotu the job, but hopefully the interview this morning turns into something. If it does, it'll be better hours, significantly more pay, and a better work environment.

Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Kind of sounds to me like an injector not happy with the high ICP called for on a hard throttle run.
Unplugging the ICP sensor will default to around 725 psi and if that makes an effect on your issue (I'm sure it'll be a turd to drive) it could be either the sensor or the issue I described.

One way to help is to make or borrow a cut-out box for the injectors and when it starts to stumble shut the injectors one at a time till you find one not making a difference. Replace that injector and retest.

We can usually see these issues on the flow bench, but not always. It seems the injectors that have oil psi issues loose around 2200 psi or higher and simply studder and not flow at high rpm, high oil psi.
Thanks for the input Jim. I'll let you know what happens. I was planning on Stage 1s around Jan anyways, so this might just set it in stone for me. I'll have to learn about the cut-outbox. I am miles from where I was a year ago, but still learning this kind of stuff. I have had some good teachers, that's for sure. This place is gold.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Sorry to hear about the job Byron. Hopefully this is just an open gate to greener pastures. Go ride a few waves and watch the sunset and I'm sure everything will feel a lot better.
Ha, will do Nate! I already had that plan for this afternoon. Of course if this interview turns into something, I'll have that much more weight lifted off my shoulders. Some of my friends surf to relieve stress. I can kinda do that, but I do have a much better time when the other life stuff is in order if that makes sense. Soemtimes you can't change things and just have to let it go, but sometimes I need everything else to be good to really enjoy my play time, so to speak.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Chit seems to happen all at the same time, bummer! I hope for you that your back up comes thru for you Byron. At least your truck runs, very many WOT runs and you'll be buying a BTS, LOL.
Or doing a ZF Swap this winter! That would be my preference compared to the cost of a BTS. Thanks for the well wishes. Much appreciated!!

On the job thing, sorry to just throw that out there. It is a big deal as my wife is a stay at home mom and my income is really the only one. We get some help from family and such being in school full time, but still. The store failed an internal audit three times due to the lack of integrity form the last GM that quit a few months ago. though it has nothing to do with me really, the DM just cleaned house and I was one of three that got let go for "lack of performance". The new GM even wanted to keep me on because I really help him out, but the DM said nope, they all go...it's business So,like Nate said, its a blessing in disguise I think. The company and its way of leadership has never set well with me. They have an extremely high turnover rate and it shows. I have been wanting to move on for awhile but was trying to make it through the end of the year when I finish my degree and have a few more open doors, but God has this and I don't worry. Nothing is by chance! Ok, stepping off my soapbox now.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Just keep your head up buddy...you got this.I just know that!

Old 09-19-2014, 02:18 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Well dudes, you are now looking at the newest addition to the Belching Beaver Brewing Company!! I am so stoked on this! I was in the interview for 10 minutes and was asked when I could start! The job is much better pay, much better hours, much better owner, and much, much better working environment. Thanks for the support ya'll. This place rules!! I think my last "boss" did me a huge favor. Oh, not to mention free beer! I think it says a lot about a place when you walk in and all the employess are really cool and seem happy to be there. I just can't believe I got a job and a better job that quick, but God does what He does, so I'll just remove myself and let it happen!

On a truck note, I unplugged the ICP and no real change other than it shifted REALLY hard and drove like a turd. I am going to unplug the MAP next on my way to pick up fuel filters at Napa. When I plugged the ICP back in, it seemed to only miss once or twice. I'll update here later today with other findings. So, MAP disconnect, change fuel filters, and report back...in that order. I am hoping it's not an injector, but if so, I'll just be giving Jim a call sooner than later.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Belching beaver brewing co? That has to be awesome just from the name!!!
Huge congrats...beer ftw

Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Congrats Byron!

Old 09-20-2014, 05:52 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Congrats Byron! I'm glad to hear that you're once again gainfully employed, lol. And yeah, it says a lot about a place when the people that work there are happy about being there. That's a great sign.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman67
Belching beaver brewing co? That has to be awesome just from the name!!!
Huge congrats...beer ftw
LOL!! That's what I thought too! Congrats Byron!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Well dudes, let the ribbing begin. It seems, at this point, that I just needed new fuel filters. Jim was right. They only had right at 10 k miles on them, which I thought would be more than fine, but apparently not. I changed them yesterday and fixed two leaky hose clamps. When I drove it last night, it felt like a new truck!! It was back to its old self. I could not get it to replicate any of the missing or stumbling no matter what I did, so all seems good at this point. If it changes, I'll report back. On the job note, thanks for the support fellas. It meant a lot and this new job is really gonna be a good change. No corporate BS and I am working to make the craft beer industry better! What more can a guy ask for? LOL!!!!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Beer at work? LOL

Old 09-21-2014, 07:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Good to hear on the job and easy truck fix Byron!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Ribbing? Nah, I'm just glad it was something simple for once!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Well, I said I'd be back if any issues continued. It seemed the filter change helped for a couple of days, but now its starting to creep up again. I ordered an HPX line from Riff Raff and should have it in by tonight. There is not one thing on all of my engine monitoring parameters that indicates an issue that I can see. I am hoping the line will smooth out the idle some and possibly help this issue. The ONLY consistency I see at this point is that the problem creeps up at WOT. If I am half throttle and pulling at any rate (hill, traffic) it is smooth as a cat. If I ask for everything, it will do it, but then skip, stumble, skip and pick up again like someone kicked it in the pants. I am going to get a set of gauges that include Boost and Fuel Pressure, but it'll be a week or two before I can get them installed.

So, my thoughts at this point are that its either HPOP related or FP related. The HPOP pressure does not change at all when it happens. The TPS, IPR, and IPW do not change at all either. I just can't see FP yet. So, that's where I am at. I am really hoping this doesn't end up being one of those issues like Nate has been having where nothing works and finding the problem takes months. (sorry Nate) I guess we'll see.

At least I can walk, talk, breathe, see, and eat. I really shouldn't complain about anything. I also started riding and working a horse here and there again as time allows. Its been a few years since I have been horseback, but it really feels good. I used to do it for a living full time. Unfortunately life got in the way some and things had to change for awhile. The inside of a man is done well by the outside of a horse.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Hopefully having the Fuel Pressure gauge will show you the issue. When it bucks, does it hiccup like it cuts out on all cylinders or does it just stumble a little like maybe one or two cylinders are cutting out on you? Any vibration noticeable when it does this?

Quick Reply: Missing and Stumbling @ WOT