My mildly built 302 has no PVC system - Shouldn't it for proper oil control?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:47 PM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mildly built 302 has no PVC system - Shouldn't it for proper oil control?

Hey all, Thanks for clicking in.

I recently purchased a 94 f150 with a mildly built 302.

Estimated 70,000 miles with dual coilpacks (no distributor), aluminum heads, long-tube headers, custom pro comp cam, roller rockers, titanium lifter plates, 9:1 lifters, upgraded intake etc and an aftermarket MegaSquirt ECM.

Real Question:
Shouldn't all engines have some sort of Crankcase Ventilation System for proper oil control?

I noticed the truck does not seem to have a functional PCV system. There is a valve cover breather on the passenger side and an oil fill plug on the drivers side with no hoses leading to the intake manifold. On the intake manifold I can find at least two plugged vacuum ports; I would think one for EGR and one for PVC right? However I do not know because I am not familiar with the intake. Does anyone recognize it? Can you specify what vehicle it came off of for future reference? I assume a mustang intake but am not sure.

I changed plugs the other week and an oil control problem can clearly be noted from the used plugs. (Pics Below) I will also include pics of the intake and valve covers.

Overall, I am looking for insight in proper oil control for a street purposed built 302. Additionally, if someone has had experience with the same coilpack conversion or MegaSquirt ECMs I have a few additional questions if you would be willing to share some of your wisdom.

Thanks again for your time.
-Andrew

Spark Plugs: Front of engine to left/ lower side of wooden wedge

Passenger Side Valve Cover

Intake and Coil Packs

Drivers Side Valve Cover

Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 PM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Should I look into fitting a functional PCV system to my engine?

It looks like I can find a new valve cover cap with a fitting for a vacuum line and PCV check valve if its necessary.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,656 Likes on 1,352 Posts
Yes, put one on. Better to keep the fumes out, helps eliminate sludge buildup in the valve covers and elsewhere.

Not sure about your plugs--time will tell after you install the PCV. Valve seals and rings usually contribute to what we see there.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I believe that is an Explorer engine. On that style of intake manifold the PCV valve is located in the rear of the intake manifold, not in the valve cover.
https://www.google.com/search?q=expl...w&ved=0CB0QsAQ

The megasquirt must be using batch fire because the cam sensor is not plugged in. A wideband O2 sensor would be helpful in making sure the tune is correct.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 AM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
I believe that is an Explorer engine. On that style of intake manifold the PCV valve is located in the rear of the intake manifold, not in the valve cover.
https://www.google.com/search?q=expl...w&ved=0CB0QsAQ

The megasquirt must be using batch fire because the cam sensor is not plugged in. A wideband O2 sensor would be helpful in making sure the tune is correct.
Thank you!! This is extremely helpful now I have something to compare it to and can research the vacuum ports and proper PCV! And I did not know to look there for the PCV, I will have to look (hopefully tonight) and get back as to if it is there or not.

Yes, I noticed that myself. I have a large list of things to tackle with the motor; the cam sensor and the O2 sensor being two of them but I was tackling it one at a time. I noticed there is an O2 sensor in one of my two true dual exhaust pipes but it is not hooked because the longtubes bring the bung too far back for the plug to reach it. I am planning on extending it to reach. Should there be one in each pipe or will one suffice?

As far as the Cam Sensor there is no wire harness near it. Do the explorers with these motors still have distributors? I am wondering what vehicle I can pull a harness off at the local Pick'n'Pull. And then connecting it to the MegaSquirt is another whole ordeal, I would not know where to start.

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Yes, put one on. Better to keep the fumes out, helps eliminate sludge buildup in the valve covers and elsewhere.

Not sure about your plugs--time will tell after you install the PCV. Valve seals and rings usually contribute to what we see there.
Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that it's necessary also. I was thinking address the PCV mystery first and then pull the new plugs after a couple thousand miles to see where I should turn next.

-Andrew

Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 989 Likes on 781 Posts
Originally Posted by akuhr93'f150
I noticed there is an O2 sensor in one of my two true dual exhaust pipes but it is not hooked because the longtubes bring the bung too far back for the plug to reach it. I am planning on extending it to reach. Should there be one in each pipe or will one suffice?
This truck only had one originally and that is all that is needed even if it doesn't see the whole motor. The big question is does the Megasquirt(as it's currently configured) even need one or does it operate open loop? I did a quick web search and it looks like it can use an O2 but it's not manditory.

As far as the Cam Sensor there is no wire harness near it. Do the explorers with these motors still have distributors?
No the cam sensor replaces it but you don't have an Explorer PCM running this show so..
I am wondering what vehicle I can pull a harness off at the local Pick'n'Pull. And then connecting it to the MegaSquirt is another whole ordeal, I would not know where to start.
Megasquirt doesn't need it.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 PM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Hey thanks Conanski,

I was hoping you'd be one of the people to see my post.

Been trying to do a little research on my own. So the cam position sensor isn't necessary because there is a crankshaft position senor (gear looking thing behind crank pulley) correct? And the O2 sensor isn't necessary but it would provide better tuning ability wouldn't it? Not that I know how to mess with the tune yet anyways. Previous owner mentioned something about the MegaSquirt Auto-tuning itself each running cycle but don't know if there's truth behind it or not.

I'm interested in learning more about the MegaSquirt systems myself, as they are supposed to be a DIY thing. What would you recommend as the best resource for information and tutorials? So far I have been looking through www.megamanual.com but at first glance have been overwhelmed.

On the intake I realize I have one of the various GT40 uppers but have not looked into the lower intake or heads yet. I plan on checking them soon for curiosity's sake.