1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best backup camera package?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 AM
corksil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best backup camera package?

Hey guys, I've got a 2002 f350 7.3L diesel, and have been doing a lot of hauling lately. Had to hitch up to a dump trailer full of wood chips today alone, without a spotter and it took a fair few amount of tries.

Need to buy a backup camera, preferably one that will be optimal for seeing what's behind me while backing up and trying to hitch up to my trailer.

What's on the market these days? Looking for something pretty low-profile and unobtrusive -- I like the license plate frame type of camera.

Features I'm looking for...

--Unobtrusive, low profile camera that doesn't look massive or ugly on the back of my truck.

--All inclusive package that comes with camera, wiring, monitor for dashboard etc. I _could_ piece together a system with a camera, separate monitor etc, but it'd be nice to find a complete setup that comes with everything.

--IR LEDs that allow me to hitch up in low light situations, my reverse lights are pretty dim, and don't illuminate the hitch much.

--Smallish monitor I can mount in the cab, already have 4 gauges in my A-pillar, so things are crowded up there -- would be nice to have a smallish monitor LCD that doesn't obstruct my view of the road, something tucked low and tight in the dash, low profile.

--Not terribly expensive (I guess I'm asking for the sun AND the moon on this one, but hopefully you understand.)

Thanks! Need to get this sorted and on order so I can keep up with business. Lost time is lost money, as we all know.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Redrkt
Senior User
you might look into this one... I have this monitor in a couple of vehicles and it works really well

backup camera monitor combo backup camera monitor combo

Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
they got them lcds that are built into the rear view mirror on amazon.com

Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 AM
kengarchow
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
if space and clutter are an issue u might look into the edge CTS. i have it in my truck and you can pick from many options and up to 8 parameters and also use it as a back up camera motor
that way you could remove the gauge pods and just run the CTS, less clutter more info and a back up monitor also

Old 09-15-2014, 01:10 AM
corksil
Senior User
Thanks guys! My friend has the Edge system, pretty nifty, but something about the same gauges I have in my racecar right in clear view in this truck is very attractive. I've spent hours staring at the same setup in the car, very reassuring to have them in truck as well.

It seems the hardest part of this equation is finding a monitor that is easily dash-mountable and low profile. I suppose I've got my work cut out for me.

If anyone has any suggestions, please don't hesitate!

And thank you to everyone who has contributed to my thread!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:21 AM
kengarchow
Laughing Gas
then best option is

rear view mirror monitor

hidden
clean looking
out of the way
goes where you naturally look when you back up

negatives
can be a little small, but u can find decent sized ones. 4.3 or bigger
can interfere with on board compass systems in newer trucks

Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 AM
corksil
Senior User
Don't have onboard compass system on 2002 -- not a problem.

Very much liking the rearview mirror LCD idea, have used them in the past. Clean, tight, slick.

Hardly ever use rearview as I have camper on the back of pickup, and ten foot tall wood chip box on trailer most of the time, but still best option at this time. Researching now.

Thanks, why didn't I think of that...

Your help is much appreciated mister OG user of ford truck forum join date 2004.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 AM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
The system above in amazon link will work if you place monitor on center hump/floor.
My concern is where to mount that camera?

And still see the ball

Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 AM
kengarchow
Laughing Gas
you can get some nice rear view monitors now even with there own built in compass, outside temp, blue tooth and built in front cam

i think the nicer ones are the replacement mirrors rather than the clip ons

Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 AM
corksil
Senior User
Amazon.com : BOYO VTB44MC 4.3-Inch Digital LCD Rear View Mirror Monitor and Camera Combination : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics Amazon.com : BOYO VTB44MC 4.3-Inch Digital LCD Rear View Mirror Monitor and Camera Combination : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

This is the unit I am looking at now... seems like the best option currently available.

Apparently has two camera inputs, and comes with two cameras. I'm thinking the flush mount camera will fit nicely in my rear tailgate lock cylinder hole, as there is nothing in there at the moment. Might install the front camera on front bumper as to see anything blocked from cockpit view by the hood etc.

Looks like it mounts on any standard rearview mirror clip, will check my truck this morning when I get back to work. If compatible, seems like a nice package deal.

Can wire it to automatically come on in reverse gear, or wire with switch to be manually activated.

Am I overlooking anything? Been working hard and not sleeping much lately, hopefully someone can spot any mistakes I have made before they become problems.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:52 AM
JandC
Junior User
Don't want to hijack corksil's thread, but I have a related back-up camera question. I replaced my stock tailgate with a V-tailgate for towing my 5th wheel. My stock back-up camera cable unplugged from under the rear bumper. Anyone know of another camera that would plug into the same wiring and replace the stock camera?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:55 AM
corksil
Senior User
Yeh plz don't hijack my thread but from my understanding, you'd just need a camera that was compatible with the plug.

I'm guessing it's an RCA plug, and you'd need power for the camera. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 AM
corksil
Senior User
Does anyone know what this package comes with? It sounds like it comes with one camera, maybe two... who knows?

I hate these poorly described items for sale..

Old 09-15-2014, 10:16 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JandC get rear harness dc3z-14a312-a for about 10 to 20 bucks and an ebay camera to connect to it and u are good !

corksil - post a question to the seller or call them, they would know better than us

Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 AM
corksil
Senior User
I like the quote in your signature ^^ very nice indeed.

If I could only figure out what this "kit" comes with, I'd order it because I have another long day of trying to line my truck/trailer/hitch up without a spotter.

Really a pain, need to get this figured out. Suppose I could always order it and just wait and see, but would rather figure out if I'll need an extra camera etc.. Ho hum.

Quick Reply: Best backup camera package?