1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mark's 52' F1 RestoMod Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:03 PM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few more pictures of the TCI frame

Currie 9" 3.5 posi and airbags

front suspension, with coil overs

Above, are some good shots of the pwr brakes, clutch master cylinder and Wilwood rear brake
pressure adjuster

On the Moroso oil pan, for a Mustang II front suspension, the front sump drain plug hit the rack and pinion unit. So, I plugged and ground down the factory drain, and added my own to the bottom. The drain is well protected.

I also installed a oil temp sensor in the back sump.

I'm a bit of a sensor nut, so I also installed a temp sender in the rear end and the Tremec TKO-600 5 spd transmission.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Wow! This is some impressive stuff. Keep those pictures coming.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:20 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Steering fitment

I decided to go with a Flaming River tilt steering column. I mounted it with a short drop mount and because the original ford mount was similar, I didn't have to add any reinforcements.

From this angle, you also see I had to cut/split my gear shift to tilt it forward to prevent seat interference.... it will be welded up later.

The floor pan was modified with in and out column adapters.

With the headers (FordPowerTrain) in place, I was unable to run the steering shaft direct from the rack and pinion u-joint to the steering column end u-joint.... so I had to add a 3rd u-joint to go around the headers.

Here you see the bracket I made out of 2" angle iron and the additional support needed for the middle 3rd u-joint. It really turned out well.

Mark

Old 09-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Thanks for sharing Mark. truck is looking good. I start working on the wife's 52 in a few months and your photos help with ideas.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 AM
hyspeedz
Freshman User
Subscribed! Excellent...all the best.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:02 PM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Clutch Slave Cylinder install and frame mods

Today I had to make changes to the lower forward x-braces to allow room for my 3+ exhaust out of the headers. The X-brace interfered and didn't allow room for my exhaust to exit. Also, I made a mount for the clutch slave cylinder.

In the picture above, you can see the two (L & R) lower frame x-bracing. I need to cut them just forward of the trans mount cross member (black).

In this shot, you see the lower left x-brace with the left header collector and the lack of clearance.

Here, you can see I added a vertical 1" angle iron to tie the top and bottom x-braces. The angle also serves as an attachment point for the plate that the rear of the slave cylinder attaches to. The bottom x-brace was cut and I ran a 1" strap from the braces end to the side of the frame.

In this shot, you can clearly see where I cut the x-brace from the frame. I was also happy so see the green internal frame coating I applied went down the length of the x-brace and coated the frame also.

I'll add heat shielding between the header and the slave cylinder and clutch fluid lines.

Here you can see I added an additional piece of metal to the plate the slave cylinder mounts to. It's a 2"x 2" piece welded in place and then I drilled a 5/16" hole for the grade 8 mounting bolt.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:26 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Odds and ends, Radiator fans and 3rd Brake Light

I'm going for a more "finished" look and decided to cap off the beds side and front end panel ends.

I was considering the billet end plugs, but then thought it was too much of an eye catch. This way only those with knowledge of the original rolled steel would know of the change.

From inside the passenger door, you can see I added a 3rd brake light and a seat belt shoulder harness attachment plate. I decided that since this truck will be my daily driver I wanted the extra safety factor. Let's face it, the small tail/brake lights and their low placement isn't the attention getter I want. I did however upgrade to LED tail/brake lights/lens.

Here's an outside view of the 3rd brake light. I still have to weld up the seam.

I purchased a modern aluminum radiator that fit exactly as the original and bolts in using the factory mounting points. To give me more room for the electric fans, I also had to move the radiator support into the six cylinder position and giving approx. 3" more room in front of the March Performance pulley system mounted to the 351W engine. The fans still had to have a low front to back profile and you'll also notice I went with 2 smaller fans vs one larger one..... reason?... the low profile large fan didn't pull enough air (CFM) that I wanted, so with two 11" fans I was able to increase CFMs by a considerable % amount. The controller I'm using allows for variable fan speed which I'll set, example, lower temp = 80% fan speed and higher temp = 100%.

In this shot, you can clearly see the close fit and why I needed the extra 3".

Stay tuned, Mark

Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Installing Door Hidden Hinges...

To give the exterior a little cleaner look, I decided to remove the original door hinges and install inside hidden hinges.

This is a shot of a single hinge... it shows the box that needs mounted in the A-Pillar and the swing arm that will attach to the door box that will need cut into the door.

This is a close up of one of the internal hinge box to be installed in the A-Pillar.

Once the hole is cut and the hinge box aligned, I tack welded in place.

After both top and bottom hinge boxes are tacked in, I installed the swing arms, clamped a 1" piece of angle iron to both arms to insure the arms swung freely and didn't bind anywhere.

While the angle iron was still attached, I added additional bracing to the hinge boxes. I tied both boxes together, triangled to the fire wall and the rear of each box to the A-pillar. I also finished welding up the box faces to the A-pillar.

In the next post, I'll show the doors boxes being installed.

Stay tuned. Mark

Old 10-12-2014, 07:42 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Subscribed

I have similar build with Kustom mods.

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 AM
TonyB55
Senior User
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing your progress.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:06 PM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good, a lot of love going into it.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Great job! Keep up the great work.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:03 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Thanks

Thanks all for the comments. Again, any feedback, suggestions or questions welcome..... I'm learning too!

Mark

Old 10-13-2014, 06:37 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Great work Mark.

Besides the need for very good craft skills, this thread mainly demonstrates to me the technical difficulty in a frame swap - even with a spec designed solution.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Great work Mark.

Besides the need for very good craft skills, this thread mainly demonstrates to me the technical difficulty in a frame swap - even with a spec designed solution.

DW, Why do you feel the frame swap if technically difficult? I'm very interested in your thoughts... Mark

Quick Reply: Mark's 52' F1 RestoMod Build