Should I demand a new frame?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 PM
ja6050
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I demand a new frame?

I posted this in another forum but thought I may get advise here as well. Bought a 2013 FX4 two weeks ago to replace my 94 F150 and got to enjoy it for a whole 10 days before I got rear ended at a stop light. The car hit me doing between 30-40, fast enough to make her airbags go off, and it was hard enought to force the bed to hit the cab. Unfortunately, the damage is more than cosmetic body work. The bottom of the bed is pushed up under the bedliner and the frame is bent in front of where the leaf spring connects. My concern is that the adjuster will want to "fix" the frame and I will be stuck with a lifetime of alignment issues, suspension issues, etc. I know the rear of the frame is not as much an issue as if the front was bent, but I don't know how they could fix it without cutting it and welding in a new piece, and how can I know that the frame is true? Any advise is helpful, the adjuster will be looking at it Thursday and I may call her in advance to plead my case...

Old 09-10-2014, 04:15 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,112 Likes on 2,171 Posts
that is a 20 minute repair on a frame machine with someone that knows what they are doing.
no cutting heating or welding required. just hook it up to the machine, set vehicle info in the computer and pull it straight.
even on the old non computer machines that is only a 30-40 minute fix.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much about it. Won't hurt to make the adjuster aware of it, but a dealer body shop will pick up anything the adjuster misses and deal directly with the insurance company.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm with TJC on this one---having once owned a body shop that did a lot of heavy hits. Full frame vehicles are fairly easy to do, these days the measuring systems and data available gives a good shop more than enough info to do the job correctly.

You'll want to find a big truck frame shop to do the frame repair/straightening. Any good competent body shop can repair the bed (or replace/refinish) and back side of the cab. Naturally the bed would remain in place while frame is straightened to make sure it fits properly.

FWIW most front air bags will deploy whenever the front crash sensors are triggered--speed alone doesn't control that.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:42 AM
ja6050
Freshman User
I can't understand how the frame can be repaired like new knowing that the steel has been stretched and then pulled back into shape. It seems it would weaken the steel and possibly affect my towing capacity. I noticed the square mounts on the bottom of the bed seem to be out of shape due to the bed being pushed forward. It is just a lot of steel to be straightened out, but I guess body shops do it every day.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
that really is not bad at all. around 12 years ago we had a brand new caddy CTS that was in a head on on the passenger side.
the passenger side headlight was in the passenger front seat.
the dealership owner wanted it repaired.
it took 2 months to pull it back out, and the only thing metal replaced was bolts, hood and the fender.
when we were done with it you could not tell it was hit.
even the state troopers that inspected it to declare it roadworthy after the salvage title was issued were amazed and could not find any repair marks.
the hardest thing way matching the pearl white paint.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:50 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Let them fix it the way they want. Take all the pics you can before the repair. If it's not up to your satisfaction then reject the repair. They will either have to fix it properly or the insurance company will have to buy the truck from you.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:19 PM
ja6050
Freshman User
I got the call from the adjuster today. She says they cannot straighten the frame and are going to replace the rear section of the frame according to Ford specs. I asked her if they were going to cut the rear of the frame off and weld on a new rear section... she said that is what she understands they will do. I asked for the whole frame to be replace because I was not comfortable with a welded together frame. She claims that this is what Ford requires and they will not replace the whole frame. She said the truck would be put on a frame machine to make sure the entire frame was straight and the body shop (dealer) would provide a lifetime warranty. She also cut me a check for $775 for not using a rental car. I told her to keep the check and replace the frame... She said she can't do more than Ford requires... Should I be happy with a welded frame and $775? I will be seeking diminished value once the repairs are complete.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
you will have diminished values even if the frame is completely replaced, because there is an accident repair on the oasis and car fax .

Old 09-12-2014, 08:16 PM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nope. Go for a replacement vehicle. You will have a hacked up vehicle.

Any prosective buyer will do a search and stroke it off.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most people end up caving in & excepting there vehicle patched up,if they cant except that then try doing battle with Insurance company or trade it off for another new truck & cut your losses.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
I see dozens of f150 trucks come into the salvage yards every time I visit. Nice undamaged frames are a dime a dozen. But then there's the stupid vin number stamped into it. That's the catch.

Want a new frame? It comes with a new title (and everything else that's already bolted onto it).

Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 PM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of bad advice in this thread.

If Ford has an allowable frame sectioning technique, then I'd be okay with it (turned off my estimating computer or I'd look it up). The frame doesn't just get butt welded together; it will have to be reinforced or boxed at the junction, and will probably be stronger than one that hasn't been touched.

Full frame replacements can be done...I've written for them...but they are very expensive. Lots and lots of labor to pull everything off and swap it over. Since the truck involved probably just needs a rear section, all that needs removed is the bed, fuel tank, and a few other things. Much less expensive and easier.

I will disagree with the posters who said the frame is repairable...can and 'should be' are two different things. That rail is folded over itself; I would never write to fix it.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 PM
ja6050
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ddavidv
Lots of bad advice in this thread.

If Ford has an allowable frame sectioning technique, then I'd be okay with it (turned off my estimating computer or I'd look it up). The frame doesn't just get butt welded together; it will have to be reinforced or boxed at the junction, and will probably be stronger than one that hasn't been touched.

Full frame replacements can be done...I've written for them...but they are very expensive. Lots and lots of labor to pull everything off and swap it over. Since the truck involved probably just needs a rear section, all that needs removed is the bed, fuel tank, and a few other things. Much less expensive and easier.

I will disagree with the posters who said the frame is repairable...can and 'should be' are two different things. That rail is folded over itself; I would never write to fix it.
Thanks for the advise. I was advised that Ford sells the frame in 3 sections. I looked up the part number on the estimate and found the parts that ford sells it and have been assured that the frame will come from ford. It sounds like you are in the insurance business, and I have a couple questions in you wouldn't mind answering.

1. Is it possible to get them to use OEM parts for the few parts other than the frame they will be replacing (bumper, step pad, sensors, hitch, tail light), or am I at their mercy?

2. How hard will it be for me to get diminished value, and is it really capped at 10% (I've heard both sides)?

3. Does me going to court to make sure her ticket sticks have anything to do with my claims?

Old 09-20-2014, 06:25 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Hard to say. Are you going through your own insurance, or the other company? If it's yours, then it depends solely on what the policy allows them to do. (Note for the future: some companies offer OEM parts endorsements--they are usually cheap--that removes this headache). Some parts I don't worry about (step pads...just plastic...who cares?). The bumpers I want a lifetime warranty on the chrome in writing. ETA: oh, painted bumper...nevermind. I'd still want the warranty against corrosion though. Reverse sensors won't be available aftermarket. If the tow hitch is FoMoCo I probably wouldn't write a/m (and I think it's part of the bumper beam on most new trucks). Most A/M bumpers come as a complete kit with everything in a box. Taillamp is plastic, so again I don't care if it's my own truck. When Ford can't make headlights that don't turn yellow but the a/m can I don't worry about what logo it has in the corner.
What happens frequently here is the dealer will often 'price match' the OEM to the A/M price. They'd rather make $10 than nothing, and it makes everybody happy. Find out if that is an option.

2) Diminished value varies by state. In Georgia it's automatic on every claim. In my state of PA you can't collect it unless you can prove, in court, after the repairs are done that the value is lessened. In theory if the truck is properly repaired and the average person can't tell it was ever wrecked there is no DV. However, thanks to CarFax selling themselves as the holy grail of vehicle history (and they aren't...very sore subject with me) that has changed things. If you can get it, go for it, but it depends on the laws of your own state.

3) WTF is she going to court for? She hit you in the ***-end; it's clearly her fault. In PA they wouldn't even take that as a case. I don't see how it would matter. She's fighting a ticket. Liability for the loss is still on her shoulders, but I'm not an attorney working in your state, so maybe you ask someone else.

Yes, I've been doing this for 20-ish years. Imagine how thrilled I'll be when the aluminum truck comes out.

ETA: You asked about how they can be sure the frame will be straight and true when it's welded together...it's actually pretty easy with the measuring tools they have.

Last edited by ddavidv; 09-20-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Hey, it's got a painted bumper!

Quick Reply: Should I demand a new frame?