1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My 97 F-350 Rebuild/Repaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:52 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know - i went back and forth about this alot before and i think i'm going to just stick with my decision now. i know some people don't like whoever the owner is at Dyno Proven, but they seem to be the most organized of all the places i've looked at out there.

and since i'll only have one chip, and i pretty much just made all my dream engine mods all at once, i really don't see myself sending chips back for re-burns anyway.

i need to just order this damn thing and be done with it! :-)

Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Then you need to update your signature! ^^^

Black is the new White!

Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JP, I even updated mine with the near future mods I have the parts for right now. Go ahead, add the bling!

Old 02-23-2015, 04:19 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
there, how's that? :-) (see below)

i'm not sure if that list makes me proud of my accomplishment of this truck, or sad to be able to so easily sum up the last 6 months of my life! just kidding, i'm definitely happy with the time spent! i need a new pic now, though...

Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you order and I don't want to steer you in another direction but I'd seriously consider a hydra. Check out some prices but to me it seemed as though they weren't much mute than a ts an the ease of getting a tune emailed is nice. Ive been debating whether or not to send mine back for a retune and will be without my chip for a bit because of it.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:38 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Looks like a brand new shiny sig JP, yea, new picture! I know I need a new one here too.

Is the PHP that much better than a TS?

Also, something else, I was doing a little research on making your own tuning files, from the live data you get from AE, might be something to look into.

Sniper Tuning Special Forces, Commando Software - FREE SHIPPING

Not entirely sure on it, but it looks interesting.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
The hydra is real nice being able to have tunes emailed to you. I have tunes from Tony, PHP, and Powerstruck on mine. Dyno Proven does NOT send tunes to the hydra though, I asked. It will hold up to 16 or 17 tunes, iirc. As of now my powerstruck extreme tune is working the best, but I'm emailing back and forth sending datalogs to all of them to try and get it as good as possible.

It's not a lot more expensive (400), but then if you need custom tunes, which most of us do, it adds up from there. THEN you need to have AE to be able to datalog and send the results in to the tuners for adjustments.

I'm in over a grand with the chip, tunes, and AE.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I seem to recal seeing the hydra loaded with 6 custom tuned at tdp for 425-450 ish.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Hmm, I'll keep it in mind when I'm shopping for a chip down the road.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Maybe that's how you look at yourself Bill. But the way we see it is nothing can ****up perfection
Originally Posted by fordman67
Just keep being you brotha bill!

Rock on nick!!!
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
What? I get the cold shoulder for suggesting that perfection should be cloned? In my book, that was a compliment!
LOL!! Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm no where near perfect by any means though.......just ask my wife, she'll tell ya!

JP the truck looks great! I had to drive mine in the salt one day last week and it killed me! My daily driver F150 was down for a couple days and I didn't wanna take my wife's car and leave her with no vehicle, so I did it. It hurt, but I did it.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:41 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ReBilld
LOL!! Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm no where near perfect by any means though.......just ask TYLER, he'll tell ya!
There, I fixed that for you.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
There, I fixed that for you.
LOL!!! His opinion don't count!

Old 03-29-2015, 06:52 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Hey guys - haven't posted in forever as I've been finishing up little things on the truck and neglected projects around the house.

Anyway the trucks been running great for 2 months now - until today!

Actually it's still running fine but in checking the fluids today I found oil in the coolant :-(

There's no coolant in the oil but the coolant definitely has a white, greasy emulsion on the surface of the coolant that does NOT smell like diesel.

From what I read, this is a leaking oil cooler. Problem is that I just rebuilt my cooler less than 1000 miles ago. I suppose I could have rolled or pinched a o-ring but is there anything else that could cause this?

As always, all help is much appreciated.

Oh and this is my only vehicle right now. The drive to work is only a few miles and I have off on Friday so I think I'll be ok driving it but I'll be sure to check oil and coolant levels often.

This stinks!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
Hey guys - haven't posted in forever as I've been finishing up little things on the truck and neglected projects around the house.

Anyway the trucks been running great for 2 months now - until today!

Actually it's still running fine but in checking the fluids today I found oil in the coolant :-(

There's no coolant in the oil but the coolant definitely has a white, greasy emulsion on the surface of the coolant that does NOT smell like diesel.

From what I read, this is a leaking oil cooler. Problem is that I just rebuilt my cooler less than 1000 miles ago. I suppose I could have rolled or pinched a o-ring but is there anything else that could cause this?

As always, all help is much appreciated.

Oh and this is my only vehicle right now. The drive to work is only a few miles and I have off on Friday so I think I'll be ok driving it but I'll be sure to check oil and coolant levels often.

This stinks!

The last repair is always the culprit... If you didn't have oil in the coolant before the repair and now you do the odds of the source being something else are very slim...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Very true - though I very nearly had the whole engine apart at the same time as the oil cooler rebuild :-)

From what I read though, there aren't really any other spots for oil to get into the coolant. Agreed?

Quick Reply: My 97 F-350 Rebuild/Repaint Thread