Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this rust the death sentence for my Ex? Pics included...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:59 AM
king-david
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this rust the death sentence for my Ex? Pics included...

Some of you may have read my threads with mechanical issues. I've finally gotten them sorted and decided a lift and bigger wheels and tires are in order. I dropped the truck off this AM to get the lift installed and 30 minutes later, the shop calls me... I think in my head... this cant be good. I was right. He said I should come back and take a look underneath. So I head back and see this...

I think I'm officially done. I dont know if my truck should head to the junk yard or if it's easy enough to fix this type of issue.. either way... I'm done with it. Can anyone here tell me if I (or someone else) Can (should) salvage the truck or set it out to pasture? And I'm not sure why every pic i post on this site is sideways :/

Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Using the running boards could be a death sentence. Did not realize WV used that much salt or did the truck come from somewhere else?

I feel sorry for you, at least you didn't spend money on a lift.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 PM
king-david
Tuned
Originally Posted by mecdac
Using the running boards could be a death sentence. Did not realize WV used that much salt or did the truck come from somewhere else?

I feel sorry for you, at least you didn't spend money on a lift.
Bought it from Syracuse area... lived in Philly for the last 4 years... Just moved down here.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:02 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How's the rest of the truck?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:13 PM
king-david
Tuned
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
How's the rest of the truck?
Runs great now... body is solid. Lift and wheels were all I had left before being done with it myself.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by king-david
Bought it from Syracuse area... lived in Philly for the last 4 years... Just moved down here.
Ah yes, Siberiacuse. Just hold on to it and drive it, if you like the truck.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:02 PM
king-david
Tuned
Originally Posted by mecdac
Ah yes, Siberiacuse. Just hold on to it and drive it, if you like the truck.
Well I have no use for it... I was planning on getting rid of it for a Jeep or something.. but when I took it off road.. I had a blast so I figured I'd just fix it up a little and run it... but they said it doesnt make sense to put the lift on it when it has these issues. Maybe I'll start and Ebay auction at a 1$ and see what happens...

Old 09-08-2014, 02:22 PM
phoskins
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POR-15, buddy!

My first inclination is to POR-15 the HECK outof everything and sell it.
But,I would check everything over and make sure that it wasn'tjust surface rust in many places - obviously it's not all surface rust,but it may not be the death of her yet.

I thought therewas a nice woman on FTE somewhere who has gone to great lengths to stop defeatrust on her Excursion (many users have posted threads about this issue). Lookup POR-15 in the Excursion category on here and you’ll probably find herthreads on her Ex. If not, you'll find others who recommend POR-15 for sure.

From what I understand,POR-15 is a mess, but it's so worth it - even if you decide to get rid of it,POR-15 will make it look nicer and you might get a few more bucks out of her.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<o></o>
<o></o>

Last edited by phoskins; 09-08-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 09-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Where in WV are you and how much do you want for it? Maybe I could use it as a donor...

Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 PM
phoskins
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-08-2014, 02:27 PM
king-david
Tuned
Originally Posted by phoskins
phoskins... I dont know if that was meant to be funny.. but I literally laughed out loud at it... hahahah... yes you are right.. that would be a trouble spot.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:29 PM
king-david
Tuned
Originally Posted by phoskins
My first inclination is to POR-15 the HECK outof everything and sell it.
But,I would check everything over and make sure that it wasn'tjust surface rust in many places - obviously it's not all surface rust,but it may not be the death of her yet.

I thought therewas a nice woman on FTE somewhere who has gone to great lengths to stop defeatrust on her Excursion (many users have posted threads about this issue). Lookup POR-15 in the Excursion category on here and you’ll probably find herthreads on her Ex. If not, you'll find others who recommend POR-15 for sure.

From what I understand,POR-15 is a mess, but it's so worth it - even if you decide to get rid of it,POR-15 will make it look nicer and you might get a few more bucks out of her.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<o></o>
<o></o>

I dont mind POR'ing it... but I dont want to hide what the next guy will have to fix.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 09-08-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
***Cough cough***

Seriously though, let me talk to the wife and see what she says and maybe we can work something out
There's no talking to that woman!

Guys take it to pm's or Stewart will shut it down....

In the mean time post some pics....

Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by king-david
Well I have no use for it... I was planning on getting rid of it for a Jeep or something.. but when I took it off road.. I had a blast so I figured I'd just fix it up a little and run it... but they said it doesnt make sense to put the lift on it when it has these issues. Maybe I'll start and Ebay auction at a 1$ and see what happens...
That's the WORST thing you could do. It won't get bid up! Just have a body shop paint all underneath and drive it.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
king-david
Tuned
Funny enough.. I bought a sand blaster attachment for my compressor because I was going to knock down all the rust flakes and any surface rust.. then stick a coating on it.. but that was when I thought it was all just surface.

Quick Reply: Is this rust the death sentence for my Ex? Pics included...