1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

my puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:29 PM
thatlazyguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my puzzle

Hi, first things first I don't have a scanner for this truck, mine is actron auto scanner plus and it wont retrieve any codes . My question is, do i have buy the gold plated scanner and spend all of the money for it, or can i spend below 200 and take care of most issues that I'm going to run into?
I'm new to diesel so enjoy if you have to but I do enjoy working cars , already learned about turn signal fluid, muffler bearing, and my favorite canooter valve.

problem vehicle 1996 ford super duty 7.3 turbo diesel (rollback/flatbed)
338000+ miles
Running on passenger bank only, unplugged driver side injectors 1 at a time nothing changed.
Driver side also had the glow plug wires melted in the valve cover gasket
new parts installed are as follows all 4 ds injectors all 4 injectors wire set(inside)
valve cover gaskets one ds front harness side pig tale
hpop oil (replaced) and oil change

Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Could be the idm. It is the electrical box mounted on the drivers side fender. They tend to get water in them and short out. Try taking it out and shake it, and listen for water. And as for scanners, alot dont speak powerstroke. There are a couple options for around 300. A scan gauge is nice. It can be mounted and can do different test, read codes, and see what the pcm sees, A edge evolution is another, option, if you just want to see codes and a couple gauges your pcm sees. It is a programmer but it is not recomended to use it as that. Another popular one is AE. But a little more in price and you need a laptop. And just so you know, the hpop oil is the same as your engine oil. No need to change them separate.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:22 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The latest news on this front is that some fellas have had success with a smartphone app called Torque, using a bluetooth adapter plugged into the OBD-II port. IIRC the Nation has the most action on this.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
thatlazyguy
New User
thanks for your responses can remove an IDM from one truck and use another one from another truck to prove this is the problem I have the same engine in a 1ton van
and on the Bluetooth code reader is there a certain adaptor I seen so many different ones

Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
IDMs are interchangeable, so yes, the one from the van should provide a good test.

IIRC, the bluetooth adapter is an ELM327 chip, but you'd have to find the thread on the Nation to be sure.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:52 PM
thatlazyguy
New User
my puzzle

Originally Posted by madpogue
IDMs are interchangeable, so yes, the one from the van should provide a good test.

IIRC, the bluetooth adapter is an ELM327 chip, but you'd have to find the thread on the Nation to be sure.

would you happen to have a link to a certain one or a picture I keep finding ones that say compatible with torque but say no to super duty before 2002

Old 09-30-2014, 11:07 AM
thatlazyguy
New User
my puzzle

just for a recap below and new changes

problem vehicle 1996 ford super duty 7.3 turbo diesel (rollback/flatbed)
338000+ miles
Driver side also had the glow plug wires melted in the valve cover gasket
new parts installed are as follows all 4 ds injectors all 4 injectors wire set(inside)
valve cover gaskets one ds front harness side pig tale
also replaces fuel (lift)pump that runs off of the cam
when idling at 500ish fuel pressure is jumping from 45ish to 70
have had solus on it and has been buzz tested all 8 r working and previous code was the sensor at the bottom of the hpop wasn't getting the right reading

Ok I've been waiting almost a 5 days for a friend to make time for me again have this checked again with the scanner and was wondering if the factory oil gage while idling and revving doesn't change very much and stays on the low side of the letter N on normal .
My question is shouldn't the oil pressure rise when accelerating the engine ?
has fresh oil change rotella 15/40
The truck is running and after warm will idle on it own while missing or as if it as a big cam engine light dose come on right after starting and the truck has now power never made out of the garage for test drive

Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The best thing is to get the code. The PCM is telling you there is a problem and usually the cheapest way to fix it is to listen. We could start rambling thing to replace but it's doubtful it will help. The oil pressure gauge is just a switch. When the pressure builds it will just go to a preset point. It's good to see you replaced the uvch and burnt wires.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you? there may be someone local that can help. Most people on here are rather friendly.

Richard

Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 AM
thatlazyguy
New User
my puzzle

I'm the south end of Columbus Ohio zip 43207

Old 09-30-2014, 03:08 PM
thatlazyguy
New User
do you know anyone in ohio or how AE works it says 249 for it but then do i also have to get something else to make it work on diesel a pack for another 200

Old 10-01-2014, 09:23 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Oil pressure gauge popes up a 6 psi.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are several of us in Ohio. I'm about an hour and a half North of you and we have another member in C-Bus as well, but I don't think he has a scanner. I have Torque and a BT dongle that I got for about $20. It works well for me. Here is a link to the one on Newegg where I bought it for $12.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

I also happen to know where you can get a Genisys scanner that will work on your truck for less than $200. PM me if you want more info on either one.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:55 AM
thatlazyguy
New User
I was looking at those blutooth ones but I thought the ones I was looking at said 97 and up is there a difference between the 96 and the 97
I don't remember which one I was looking at but this one works it would be nice but if there is any one that has a scanner that would be able to stop buy and get moving forward I wont to even order the Bluetooth till tomorrow and I was reading peoples reviews and they said it takes about a week to get it

Old 10-01-2014, 12:32 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took me about a week to get mine, but I have used it on a 95, a 96, and a 97 and it works fine for all three.

Quick Reply: my puzzle