1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help on x computer (pics of my new x)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Almost, not quite. Should be 4 digits. Check out the pdf from DP Tuner attached below.

On edit; I checked a PCM list and the DPC-492 2C3F-HC comes back as QLJ2. Just like mine as it happens. If your X is 2002 it's all good. My CA truck and your X both have the GPCM.
In addition to the attachment David posted:

you should see a bar code above the digits you pulled of. Then above that bar code is the 4 digit code. Take a look at the attachment David posted and you'll see what I mean.

Here is a pic of the opposite side.

You might want to pull out the PCM if you can't see it. It's easy and your gonna have to do it to install the chip anyway.

Also, what type of chip did they give you with it? Curious as to why it's not installed.........but if he changed the PCM the first thing that comes to mind is the tunes are calibrated for a different PCM than the one currently in the 2002 Excursion.

Edit: Toreador_Diesel and Stewart are both Moderators that have Excursions - they'll be along to help.......Just don't get in too big of a rush. It can get EXPENSIVE when you screw up.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More pics forgot to add it has 74k miles

Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
Question

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
In addition to the attachment David posted:

you should see a bar code above the digits you pulled of. Then above that bar code is the 4 digit code. Take a look at the attachment David posted and you'll see what I mean.

Here is a pic of the opposite side.

You might want to pull out the PCM if you can't see it. It's easy and your gonna have to do it to install the chip anyway.

Also, what type of chip did they give you with it? Curious as to why it's not installed.........but if he changed the PCM the first thing that comes to mind is the tunes are calibrated for a different PCM than the one currently in the 2002 Excursion.

Edit: Toreador_Diesel and Stewart are both Moderators that have Excursions - they'll be along to help.......Just don't get in too big of a rush. It can get EXPENSIVE when you screw up.

He gave me a dp chip but like i said im afraid to use it due to computer being changed.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
Also where yours has that code mine sais opening or tampering voids warranty.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Nolo263
Also where yours has that code mine sais opening or tampering voids warranty.
To get the code you don't need to open the PCM, just take it out. If it's a DP chip - I wonder if the previous owner got the new PCM from DP as well. After all, he was his tuner also. I don't know much about the DP chips - but do they each have a serial #?

After looking at the engine photos on a laptop it looks like a stock style turbo and not a series 300/T-4 mount I originally thought. The Y pipe and the intercooler pipes still look stock. It could be a different compressor housing. Does it say ATS on the compressor outlet right before the clamp?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
No it does not say anything at all.i looked with a flashlight and did not see anything. This turbo whistles a little more than i remember the other x doing. The othe x that i had also had a dp chip, 4" exhaust and a riff raff intake.

I also looked on both sides of the computer that i could see with the borescope and did not see anything else. But i did not pull it. Its raining here and i did not have enough time to take it out.

Borescope has flexible long optic so it works pretty good!! I use it for gunsmithing

Last edited by Stewart_H; 09-04-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
The pic I posted is the side that is inside the case mounted next to the emergency brake so it will need to come out in order to see it.

Here's another pic........

The red arrows are pointing to two parts of the regulated return. What writing or engraving is on these?

Also, the filter on the drivers side close to the battery is a Dieselsite Coolant Filter.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
The regulated return sais aeromotive the other thing sais nothing. Are u sure its a boost fooler?

Pic of it

All i could make out on the turbo is usa

Last edited by Stewart_H; 09-04-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Pic of it

Yep, I've had the same one for almost 10 years. Can't recall if it was ITP, Dieselmanor or DI. It fools the PCM so it only can see a max of 22 psi to keep the PCM from defueling the engine when it detects higher boost levels.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
Anything else i should look for on my x to see if its aftermarket?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Anything else i should look for on my x to see if its aftermarket?
It looks like you got a whole lot! love the Barn door storage inserts.......

Well, we got a few things figured out but we need some help with determining the turbo (unless you feel like taking it out and measuring the compressor wheel). Strokin_Tasch might know by looking at the pics or Toreador_Diesel or Stewart. I'll send them a PM. As for the PCM, you gonna have to take it out and check for the sticker on the plug.

The good thing is it has very low miles and a nice regulated return setup so you have fuel flowing to equally to all injectors.

You'll get it all figured out in due time - enjoy it, there aren't that many with that low miles!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Call Jody - or Diane, they just might know whose Ex it was.

or post this on the North Texas Powerstoke Assoc web sight, someone might recognize it.

http://www.northtexaspowerstrokes.com/

Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a 38r based off the intake tube having USA written on it, that's a Garrett 4" intake tube. Its possible it could be an ATS ported housing, but it would have ATS casted into the compressor housing right by the outlet on the intake side. I don't see that on it. Would have to see if there is a tag on the center section or pull the intake and check the inducer size/compressor wheel profile. If its a ported shroud for a stock turbo, I bet the stock compressor wheel lurks within. I'm sticking to my assumption that its a 38r until the intake gets pulled though.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
Is a 38r stock??

Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Nolo263
Junior User
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Call Jody - or Diane, they just might know whose Ex it was.

or post this on the North Texas Powerstoke Assoc web sight, someone might recognize it.

North Texas Power Stroke Association - Index
I know who it belonged to but its impossible to reach him. Hes a texas supreme court judge

Quick Reply: Need help on x computer (pics of my new x)