1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Patch panel source?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Patch panel source?

Okay, so this past winter was pretty hard on my work van. I had a couple rust spots that were probably fixable last fall, but now they've gone too far, so it looks like I may need to drop some coin on some patch panels and a body shop. I'd like to have the needed parts in-hand before I go to the body shop just so that the guy can do the work without having to wait on parts (and hopefully reducing the amount of time my work van is out of commission).

It looks like I need a panel that covers between the wheels on the driver's side, and perhaps one behind the rear wheel on one side (don't recall which side off the top of my head). That one may be fixable still, as the paint has only bubbled, so I think there's still solid metal behind it.

Does anyone know of a good source for these panels for the van in my sig (2003)?

Jason

Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Wow----you too have an '03? Mine has turned into a rust bucket in the two years I've owned it--very disappointed in that years quality.

Bubbling under the paint is never a good sign---it means rust has formed and possible eaten the metal away from inside. Your areas of problems sound exactly like mine so this isn't uncommon.

Personally I'd find a good condition salvage yard van already wrecked in those areas not near your repair areas and cut those out for your patch panels. Using anything aftermarket only invites rust to quickly re-form and undo all the repair work.

On topic though I don't know of anyone with patch panels although you might check with Keystone crash products---they might have something useful.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found this:

1992-2007 Ford Van Driver's Side Panel - Rust Repair Panels

But I just wondered if anybody here knew of any place they had used and trusted. I intend to have a body shop do the work, up to primer, though I could have access to all the tools to do it myself. I'm a painting contractor, but I'm not sure I could do a proper weld (I've done a little, but not on a vehicle body), nor do I know the finer points of filler.

I totally attribute the accelerated rot to the record snowfall this winter. That is, the amount of salt the city/county used to deal with it. Way beyond normal. I also intend to try to do something to seal up the inner side of the lower sections of metal where I can.

Jason

Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That link you posted, the prices are not bad.

Other that what JWA posted about LKQ -

Sherman Parts offer repair panels, but the prices are ^
Advantage and Auto Zone sell parts from Sherman with a slight mark-up.

https://www.shermanparts.com/ecat/ba...+Van&year=2003

For a Real education on body repair, and to get lost for a few days -

Check out this link/forum -

Autobodystore Forums

I have a couple of his DVD's, and picked up some tips on body repair

When I use to have time, I would read the forum, and there are hand's on people on that forum, giving real advice and answers to question (like on FTE)

Patching in panels is easy if you have the right tools, like a crimped/punch air tool, mig welder with .023, and turn the gas up to 25psi to prevent burn thru, or use straight CO gas.

And the time it takes to do all the above.

Bondo is a learning faze, too much hardener, and you need to work faster, too little and it's junk. Build up, scrap off in curing, re-apply, sand smooth.

Any black spots on the existing metal, or paint blisters, and there is rust in the sheet metal, and you can Not weld to rust, it will just burn thru.

If you have a shop that's willing to do the patch panels, and filler, then your ahead, and if you have the hvlp guns from work, your set to shoot the body for a good finish job.