Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Junior User

87thhunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Terrible Hesitaion

I have a 1998 f150 w/ the 4.6L V8

For months I have had a hesitation in this truck when i go to accelerate, and at times you can even feel a little buck with the cruise set at 70MPH. It has gotten worse and worse. When i start pulling a trailer good luck, it will do it but its terrible, hesitations and misfiring,

There is always a misfire/hesitation. Will Idle nice After its warmed up.
Sat for 2 weeks fired it up and it had a HORRIBLE idle for at least 1-2 min. This is new now it wont idle when cold

Now i had one code Cylinder 4 misfire, cleared the code never came back 2-3k miles later still not back on -

replaced coil packs
New plugs
New wires
Fuel pressure test good
Checked the Heater hose - not leaking and nothing in the hole.

I am trying to sell this truck - I cant sell it like this and i cant spend a ton to fix it either, Any ideas????
Old 09-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Postmaster

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
With a situation like this, I would use a Scanner to first look at the misfire monitors for a cylinder with high misfire counts.
If one is found address that first.
Next, with the Scanner set up to trap a fault, run a drive cycle to cause the trap to record and freeze the info at time of fault providing you with a direction to go for the repair..
The idle may be a different issue or related.
Work on one fault at a time.
I'm sorry but you have to go deeper into diagnostics to get to the root of the problem since parts replacement and hope is not doing it.
Good luck.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Junior User

87thhunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't have a scanner tool that good - i have an APP and a blue tooth monitor along with a cheap auto zone code only scanner.
I have had it at 2 mechanics and they cant seem to really figure it out, the light has never turned back on - did once and i wasnt even the one driving it - let my brother borrow it it flashed on him for a few seconds then just stayed on....after that it shut off and that was it.

Now my girlfriends car has the SAME problem i also have a few friends that have had this issue, how can i have so many people around me with similar problems but no one can seem to figure out why......
Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Postmaster

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
Well your at a point as said, that advanced diagnostics are needed.
Monitors and readers won't provide the source of the issues.
If your mechanics have good scanners and know how to use them beyond just looking at codes after the CEL comes on, then the offending system should be able to be seen.
The cylinder monitors are in mode 6 and listed as test 53 (a Ford description).
How a Scanner displays it is up to the Scanner mfger.
The person using the Scanner needs to know what he is looking at.
I can't address anyone else's problem just because they seem the same.
Maybe your all are getting bad gas from the same source.
If these steps are not taken, we can't be of more worthwhile help because it would be guessing that does not advance solving your problem, especially if there is more than one issue at the same time to be recognized.
Good luck.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150