Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Nice truck for sale but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM
celltech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice truck for sale but....

I'm not in the market anymore for a truck but I still like to look. Can you imagine paying 35k?? Crazy prices at this place.

2002 Ford F350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed 1-Owner 70k | Livermore, California | Pro Trucks Plus

Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Very nice nice looking truck. I think they are in a pipe dream if they think they are gonna get $35 thousand out of it.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
What a barn find!

Someone will be very happy to buy that truck, even at that price.

It is made out of unobtanium. One cannot buy that "new" of a diesel pick up anymore without also getting a boatload of problems as modern emissions equipment struggles through teething pains.

The added advantage of this particular truck is that it hasn't been molested with forum fueled aftermarket tinkering. If I needed a a "new" diesel pickup, I would definitely give this particular one a great deal of serious consideration.

Oftentimes, it is more expensive to undo the damage that some previous owners unwittingly do with some types of mods. The dealer with this truck recognizes that actual value isn't defined by an average of numbers... it is defined by what people want.

That truck is exactly what a lot of people want.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:54 PM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on what someone is looking for, that could be it. NADA, blue book etc. go out the window when you have something relatively rare.....only thing that would be better from my perspective if it had forged rods (ie. earlier year) and manual transfer case......but that thing looks CLEAN for the age of it.

Would make a deal for someone in the high 20Ks.......buy that rig, put some well chosen upgrades in place, grab your 5th wheel retirement toy and hit the road for 10 years.......

Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
That is bay area prices at its best. The guy that sold it to them only bought it in 2005 per the title. He, like the next owner, will came to the realization that a 12 year old truck is a 12 year old truck no matter how nice it looks on paper or the internet.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Y2KW57
That is an interesting way of looking at it, Dave, and good job sleuthing out the evidence that the 2002 truck in question here is not really a "one owner" truck like the seller represents. In fact, my friend believes that this truck was on craigslist recently for blue book value of around $17,500, and within a day it was snatched up right away by the used truck dealer who is selling it now, after keystoning it (doubling the price).

It troubles me that the current seller is potentially misrepresenting the ownership history, but let's get back to what is actually being sold. In that condition, does it really matter how many names have been on the title?

Let's take your 1955 for example. Does it really matter if only one owner owned the truck, if it is a completely rusted out non useable carcass that would cost $60,000 to restore? Does it matter if 6 different people owned the truck during it's 60 year history, and the truck was pristinely restored as if brand new?

And in fact, isn't a 60 year old truck a 60 year old truck, "no matter how nice it looks on paper or the internet"?

Will you take $1,700 for your '55, which is what they cost brand new in 1955? After all, it's 60 years old for crying out loud.

I think not. Your '55 is made out of unobtanium. It is worth more today than it was when new, because it brings with it a certain ownership experience and joy that some people find of value, even if only temporarily. Then, when they've gotten that out of their system, and had their fun, it is time to sell and move on to whatever else tickles their fancy.

This dealer, although tricky, seems to understand this non numerical metric of value well.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
That is bay area prices at its best. The guy that sold it to them only bought it in 2005 per the title.
But it only had 89 miles on it so it might have sat on a dealer lot for 3 or 4 years.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
What a barn find!

Someone will be very happy to buy that truck, even at that price.

It is made out of unobtanium. One cannot buy that "new" of a diesel pick up anymore without also getting a boatload of problems as modern emissions equipment struggles through teething pains.

The added advantage of this particular truck is that it hasn't been molested with forum fueled aftermarket tinkering. If I needed a a "new" diesel pickup, I would definitely give this particular one a great deal of serious consideration.

Oftentimes, it is more expensive to undo the damage that some previous owners unwittingly do with some types of mods. The dealer with this truck recognizes that actual value isn't defined by an average of numbers... it is defined by what people want.

That truck is exactly what a lot of people want.
Unobtanium?

There were, what, about 1.5 million superduties sold with the 7.3. There are several that sell on ebay every month for the $13,000 to $25,000 with under 100,000 miles.

This dealer is looking for that proverbial fool and his money.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by clux
There were, what, about 1.5 million superduties sold with the 7.3. There are several that sell on ebay every month for the $13,000 to $25,000 with under 100,000 miles.
And a million of them have been chipped, programmed, Hutched, Harpooned, deleted, resistored, lifted, lowered, raced, pulled, worked, neglected, dusted, or otherwise molested in some form or another. It is somewhat unusual to find a bone stock 7.3L truck that was simply maintained by the book.

It is easy to find a Ford Fusion more or less how it was built at the factory, but for some reason, not a Super Duty. Hence the rarity.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 PM
clux
Post Fiend
And a million of them have been chipped, programmed, Hutched, Harpooned, deleted, resistored, lifted, lowered, raced, pulled, worked, neglected, dusted, or otherwise molested in some form or another. It is somewhat unusual to find a bone stock 7.3L truck that was simply maintained by the book.

It is easy to find a Ford Fusion more or less how it was built at the factory, but for some reason, not a Super Duty. Hence the rarity.
It's easy to find a used car salesman that will tell you whatever you want to hear about any vehicle. It doesn't mean it's true.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
It's easy to find a used car salesman that will tell you whatever you want to hear about any vehicle. It doesn't mean it's true.
Don't forget the body damage on that truck and the red wire in the driver side wheel well.

That car salesman is good at taking advantage of the fools who would pay for that truck.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Y2KW57
I didn't see the body damage, but then again I didn't look at the video, only glanced at the thumbnails in the ad.

Once Mister CMK mentioned a loose red wire, my curiosity perked up, and I went back to the ad to find a wheel well pic. Not only did I find a loose red wire, I saw that the overload spring bumper was resting on top of the overload stop, instead of attached from underneath.

I don't have a 250/350, so I'm not sure what the bumper pad for the overload stops is supposed to look like, but does the picture above look right to you? Doesn't it look like it is resting on top? If so, how does it stay there? And what the heck is that red wire?

See Clux, how rare it is to find a truly bone stock unmolested 7.3L? Someone's dream has just been shattered....

Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
The overload is normal. When the weight compresses the main leaf pack enough the overload will hit the bumper.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Y2KW57
I know the overload spring is normal. I'm talking about the stop that the spring acts against. Normally the spring acts on some type of rubber pad.

In the photo shown, the rubber pad appears to be on top of the metal cleat that it should fit into, meaning that the overload spring will contact the metal directly. It doesn't look right to me, the way the rubber pad with the built in retention tab is resting on top of the metal cleat, instead of nestled inside of it from underneath.

NEVERMIND... it is an optical illusion. What I though was metal was rubber, and what I thought was rubber was metal. My eyes cannot resolve the converging lines.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I know the overload spring is normal. I'm talking about the stop that the spring acts against. Normally the spring acts on some type of rubber pad.

In the photo shown, the rubber pad appears to be on top of the metal cleat that it should fit into, meaning that the overload spring will contact the metal directly. It doesn't look right to me, the way the rubber pad with the built in retention tab is resting on top of the metal cleat, instead of nestled inside of it from underneath.

NEVERMIND... it is an optical illusion. What I though was metal was rubber, and what I thought was rubber was metal. My eyes cannot resolve the converging lines.
Lol

Quick Reply: Nice truck for sale but....