Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

2014 ANNUAL KNOW IT ALL AND BS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It says you can check the real time stats while driving, like speed, temp, etc so that should be well worth $18.

Meanwhile I can try cleaning the MAF and look at that plug on the air filter tube.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I think I fixed it! I had half a can of seafoam left from another project so I decided to try running that through. Fed it in through the booster vacuum into the intake, after it pretty much all burned off I took a short drive down the road (the title and papers are at the PO's house getting another signature) and it didn't die. Not taking off slow, not getting on it. Tonight after its cooled all day and hopefully the title is signed, I will try driving to work again and see if I really fixed it.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Basically cleaning the IACV. Seafoam is good stuff I use is all the time. You may want to run some through the gas tank when it starts getting low.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Sean do you use scanguages at all? Asked for one for christmas.
Yes I do. Very good for live data but not so good for codes.

Sean

Old 12-19-2014, 08:58 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dylan, why not just put the money into one vehicle and make it reliable and nice instead of buying more cars with more problems and ignoring what you already have?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the truck is probably the most reliable of the three and easiest to fix.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:18 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Turns out it didn't fix it. Right after the seafoam it drove fine, last night leaving for work it was dying again.

John, the main reason I got it was to flip it. Spend roughly $1500 to fix it, sell it for 3k. I am starting to like it BUT in the end, I could use that money to get a new trans in the mustang, or paint, or new motor. For the bronco, it's my baby. It won't be going anywhere soon.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:27 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the truck is probably the most reliable of the three and easiest to fix.
Forgot to respond :P actually the mustang is pretty reliable, it just looks ugly and doesn't run perfect. This truck has an unknown issue that causes the engine to cut off while driving. I found out this morning in the parking lot at work that it also cuts out when the rpms get high enough in park. I was thinking back to everything I did with the seafoam and remembered I had kept the rpms kind of high, I figured I'd play with that. Then the engine cut off when I went high enough. Now I'm wondering about fuel pressure. Which will get checked when I get time, for now, I have last minute xmas gifts to spend money on..

Old 12-20-2014, 12:06 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So, we have an SCT tuner for mustangs, turns out it works as an OBD2 code reader too. We pulled these.
P0102
P1000
P1100

Points to the MAF, we pulled the MAF and tried cleaning it, didn't change anything. I think we are planning to test the wires to see what kind of signal it's getting. I also recorded a video and will post it when it is ready.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,566 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Good morning Washington!!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you take the money from selling the truck you can easily Junkyard build both the Mustang and the Bronco, and have money left for gas. But I've offered to source the parts My Way and you've turned me down.

Though in your defense: most people falsely presume that Junkyard parts are junk, I recently got roughly $3,000 worth of a top-end for my 460 that's all Built low mileage parts with a full Roller setup for $110 out the door. As I said at the meet I got a full GearVendors Overdrive unit for $190.

I LOVE JUNKYARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Hey Tim.

I too like junkyards myself. Plenty of deals can be had and I have saved a ton over going to the stealership.

Dylan- how does the air filter look? What did you clean the MAF with?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
There is gold in them there hills.

Sean

Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 AM
crash1
Posting Guru
hello hello

Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
When I'm ready to "junkyard build" both vehicles, I will make it happen. I'm still trying to move out of my parents house as well. The money from this could help with a down payment on a house.

Bently the old air filter was toasted. It caught on fire. I have a new Motorcraft one in there now, and I used MAF cleaner for the sensor. We pulled it all out of the air filter housing and it looked clean. We haven't tested the wires yet to see if they are getting a good signal, the plug was also clean. After having the battery unhooked while doing all this, we only got a code P1000 which to my understand means that the scanner couldn't complete the scan. Granted it IS a programmer for mustangs. When my scanner gets here, I will see if it tells me anything, meanwhile I've got a fuel pressure test to run at some point.

Quick Reply: 2014 ANNUAL KNOW IT ALL AND BS